Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 8, 2013.

?

Which of these 8 figure skating accidents was the worst?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2013.
  1. Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC

36 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America

61 vote(s)
    57.5%
  3. Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Olga Prokuronova & Karel Å tefl - 2006 European Championships

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

There have been many accidents in figure skating, but which of the following 8 was the worst?

1. Jessica Dubé & Bryce Davison - 2007 4CC - LP - Jessica Dubé is struck in the face by Davison's skate blade during a SBS camel spin

2. Tatiana Totmianina & Maxim Marinin - 2004 Skate America - LP - Marinin loses his balance during an Axel lasso lift and drops Totmianina on her face

3. Zhang Dan & Zhang Hao - 2006 Olympics - LP - Zhang Dan lands and falls awkwardly during a throw quadruple salchow

4. Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - 2006 European Championships - LP - Stefl loses his balance on a lasso lift and drops Prokuronova on to her face

5. Collision Between Midori Ito & Laetitia Hubert - 1991 World Championships

6. Tristen Vega & Richard Alexander - 1993 U.S. Nationals - LP - Alexander losses his balance on a lift and drops Vega onto the ice

7. Melissa Gregory & Denis Petukhov - 2007 Skate Canada - Petukhov drops Gregory on to her chest during a rotation lift after catching an edge

8. Collision Between Adam Rippon & Song Nan - 2012 CoC

There have been numerous other bad accidents. Which do you think was (1) the worst of the above 8, and (2) the worst ever (whether on the list or not)

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I voted to Totmianina-Marinin.

Bereznaya's accident with first partner...

4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Elena's accident was definitely more serious than T&M's (I voted for them since Elena was not listed). She almost lost her life, and she did lose her ability to speak and walk for sometime.

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

6. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

I immediately thought of Binnebose and Handy. In all the ones mentioned above, everyone recovered eventually. Paul Binnebose never recovered fully, afaik.

7. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Out of the ones to vote on - Olga Prokuronova & Karel Štefl - she literally could have died from that accident or been permanently incapacitated. I am surprised she managed to get up and walk away.

8. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Handy & Binnebose or Bereznaya & Shliakov... hands down. But the one I saw happen live and probably scared the bejesus out of me most would have be Candice Didier's horrific fall a few years back at Worlds.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Berezhnaya: "Berezhnaya first competed with Oleg Shliakhov for Latvia... While training together in January 1996, she suffered a serious injury, leaving her partly paralyzed and unable to speak. She recovered rapidly and began competing again in November 1996 with new partner, Anton Sikharulidze."
    One of the source articles referenced: http://web.archive.org/web/20050909...98/int/980209/nagano_1998.figure_skati31.html

It was horrifying for me to witness the Totmianina/Marinin accident in person at 2004 Skate America in Pittsburgh - thankfully she recovered quickly from her concussion.

10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

During either 1992 or 1994 Olympics CBS coverage, there was a fluff piece about Victor Petrenko and about how he was at a comp where a Pairs Team had a bad accident in the Ukraine and he took his own stash of medical supplies, etc., to the hospital for her. He kept his own stash of supplies due to conditions in the country at the time or something like that? Does anyone else remember this story?

11. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

I confined the poll to accidents for which there is footage that I could find so that people could see what they are voting for. Sylvia was clever enough to find the Binnebose one. I didn't even know there was any footage of it. There is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident that I am aware of as it was likewise, a training accident. Many of the most serious accidents occur in training/practice, for which there is no footage. That includes the accident to Ekaterina Gordeeva in November 1987 when Grinkov dropped her on her head during practice after catching his blade in the ice. She ended up being hospitalised for a period as a result. Hence, the two questions in the initial post - which was the worst of the 8 listed for which there is footage, and which was the worst ever, whether on the list or not.

Although there is no footage of the Berezhnaya accident, here is a video which details what happened and the aftermath

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

What happened to Elena Berezhnaya and Paul Binnebose are worse than any of the poll choices.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes! Her name was Katie Wood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CANNZ69sGLA

Obertas & Palamarchuk also had a terrible fall at 2000 Worlds.

14. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I love your posts Maofan!

I think the Dubé/Davison and Totmianina/Marinin accidents will receive the most votes because the footage of them was so vivid, scary, widely available online, repeated on television, and relatively recently viewed. I think many of us held our breaths in fear, especially for Dubé, knowing the kind of head injury Berezhnaya had. There have been a few less well known but more tragic pair injuries.

This piece from ABC back in 1988 highlights the daring acrobatic factor as being part of pair's draw for the athletes.

Piece on the Dangers of Pairs' Skating - 1988 Calgary, Pairs' Short Program

This is impertinent but Todd Waggoner was such an attractive skater. So many of the pair skaters in the 1980s were very classically handsome and sexy.

16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

My first thought as well.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Out of those, I think the Dube/Davison one is the worst. It's so scary to me, I can't even watch the video. The Totmianina/Marinin one was pretty bad too.

For worst ever, I'd never heard about the Binnebose one but I think it sounds a bit worse than Berezhnaya's.

One that I remember which hasn't been mentioned is when Marius Siudek dropped Dorota Zagorska out of a lift. I think it was at the '99 Worlds. It wasn't as severe as the D/D or even the T/M incident though.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I remember the story. They showed it after the 1992 Olympics, and before the 1994 Olympics. The skater who got injured was named Katie (can't remember her last name). I don't think she competed again, but she survived the accident. Viktor was very helpful to her at that time. The moral of the story was he did something good for her and he won the OGM.

19. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:eek: My choices, hands down!

20. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

I haven't submitted any vote yet, and I think I don't want to.

All of these accidents are dreadful for the people involved, so I'd never "rank" them like telling skater A that his accident wasn't as bad as sakter B's, it would simply be rude. Of course, and that goes without saying, an accident that results in a life threatening injury is worse than an accident that doesn't have that impact.
    But anyways, all these incidents meant or still mean ceasures in the lives of the injured, and in extension, in the partners', if they were pairs/couples.

What I think must be considerd is how dreadful, psychologically devastating such incidents must be for the partners who "dropped" the ladies. I set it in quotationmarks because they never drop but lose control for some reason, and of course, all of this accidentally. Most male partners will blame themselves if not being helped with counselling. I remember reading about Maxim Marinin that after the accident with Tatiana, he didn't want to skate anymore.

As one more addition to the pairs' falls, there was the Duchesnays' accident very early in their career which made them quit pairs skating and become ice dancers. Isabelle was in a coma for days after the fall (from a lift), and she might have died, she had suffered a broken skull. The scenes in the movie "La Glace Et Le Feu" about their career give just a faint slight little hint about how devastated Paul was and how it affected his life, too.

Let me add one more, just to mentione it: at the WC 2000 (?) in Nice Albena Denkova collided with another skater during warm-up, with his blade slashing her leg. She was hospitalized and needed surgery, afterwards she had to take painkillers for a long period of time. Although it was not life threatening, it must have been frightening, painful, leaving her and Staviski wondering if they'll be able to go on... - and the other skater with pangs of conscience.

I can only hope for all people involved in such accidents to recover and go on with their lives as best as possible. Therefor, I won't say that one accident was "worse" than some other. But I think raising awareness of the risks of figure skating and pairs skating in particular is absolutely neccessary and analyzing the accidents which had already happened may help to prevent further incidents, hopefully.

npavel, Kasey, TheIronLady and 3 others like this.
  21. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

This is pretty morbid. They all "rank" sad and devastating equally.

22. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link!!!! I loved them soooooo much!!!!

23. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is that, when ABC did a fluff piece on his accident for the 2000 Nationals, he said he was very pro-helmets. When ABC included him in a fluff piece about accidents/injuries in pair skating 5 years later, during 2005 Nationals he came out as being anti-helmet, saying "helmets will hurt more people than they save." I've always wondered what made him change his mind in 5 years. :confused:

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yes, the piece aired during the 1994 OG, and the accident happened before the 1992 OG. I don't remember the male half of the partnership, but the skater who was injured was Katie Wood. The conditions described were abysmal one needle in the entire hospital, roaches running around the floors and on the beds...

25. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Tat/Maxim was the worse IMO. I remember watching that...she hit the ice so hard. Your body's automatic response when you're falling is to throw your hands out to try to brace yourself. Tatiana was still holding Maxim's hands when he threw his hands down to try to break the fall which caused her to hit the ice even harder than she would have if she'd just fallen. I was so scared b/c it took so long for her to move...

Jessica and Bryce were the second worst but the reason I put them second was b/c she was able to move immediately after the accident. Honestly, when I saw that the first time I thought she'd broken her neck...that was terrifying.

Pairs is a dangerous sport...

26. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree!

27. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Yes, her name was Katie Wood. I believe her partner at the time was Todd Reynolds. IIRC, she ended up deaf in one ear because of the accident.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I didn't watch the videos, because I really don't want to relive those events I saw. Likewise, I didn't vote, because I feel that ranking injuries is... But this did get me remembering. I remember reading about this injury in synchronized skating, where one skater skated over the arm of another, severing the artery. That's one that really sticks out in my memory.
    http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=25753

Skating can be a dangerous sport.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

And for those of us who are too wimpy to watch, his wikipedia page that mentions it.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  30. Skater91

Skater91 New Member