Which of these 10 was the best never to win an Olympic medal?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 24, 2013.

Which of these 10 was the best never to win an Olympic medal?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2013.
  1. Tiffany Chin

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Surya Bonaly

11 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Jill Trenary

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Marval and Urbanski

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Meno and Sand

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Christopher Bowman

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. Elaine Zayak

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Nicole Bobek

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Rudy Galindo

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  10. Tonya Harding

31 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. browning

browning Member

totally agree....i was shocked that browning was now on it, obviously i am biased looking at my screen name it is obvious i uber him! Glad to see nearly everyone else agrees with me....I would pick Bowman and kurt himself has talked about how talent bowman was! And Tonya Harding because what she was capable of would also be a choice of mine from this list

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Kurt Browning & Todd Eldredge should be on this list.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That list is as bizarre for who's on it as for who's not on it.

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

It's not a new article, and I remember that one of them explained in the comments that the list was really about underappreciated skaters, and that it's just a list of great but underrated skaters who didn't medal. Which still doesn't make much sense, because some of them were certainly appreciated as much as their talent and results merited.

But yes, Kurt Browning is really the obvious choice.

5. Eyre

Eyre New Member

I second this!

6. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

other examples from earlier eras with at least 1 World Title but no Olympic medal:

Emmerich Danzer - 3 World Titles, 4th at 1968 Olympics
    Alexander Fadeev - 1 World title, 3 World Bronze, 4th at 1988 Olympics

Denise Biellmann - 1 World Title, 4th at 1980 Olympics

Radka Kovaříková / René Novotný - 1 World Title, 1 World Silver, 4th at 1992 Olympics
    Sabine Baess / Tassilo Thierbach - 1 World Title, 2 World silvers, 2 World Bronzes, 4th at 1984 Olympics

Shae-Lynn Bourne / Victor Kraatz - 1 World Title, 1 World Silver, 4 World Bronzes - 4th at 1998 Olympics

7. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt consider Alexander Abt who could never even win a World medal, never medalled at the Grand Prix final, and has something like only 2 European medals. All time he probably wouldnt even make top 100 to not win an Olympic medal, and he was never really a contender for one (even in SLC). Although still better than Urbanski & Marvel who probably dont make the top 500 list, lol! Eldredge and possibly Butyrskaya are good additions though. It is interesting to think who would be the top 20 even (too big for the polls here) if we narrowed it down to the true 20 best.

8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Yuka Sato.. I keep wondering how she would have done under the new judging system, especially her skating skills.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Your whole post is great. I have chosen to keep only the comments that I want to comment on.

Despite her lack of edging, Surya had enough jumps to win a medal at the 1994 Olys, if only she had landed all her jumps. However, it would have been tough to beat very good performances by the top 3 (esp. Kerrigan and Chen since they had the jumps and presentation)

Meno & Sand were definitely G&G wannabes, as you aptly put. They even said they took their inspiration from G&G (as I assume many pairs those days did). IMO they would have been better off being themselves rather than trying to build themselves into the G&G mold.

Chris Bowman- He had star quality and a great spring to his jumps. He was born too soon. Under COP he could have won an Olympic medal, even without the 3A. His artistry did not grow much because he was already at a very high level artistically. After the 1988 Olympics he was expected to be the next OGM contender. IMO personal problems destoyed his career.

Rudy Galindo- His career is a long list of 'What if's. What if his original pairs coach did not have a brain tumor? What if Kristi's singles coach had not gotten married and moved to Edmonton? What if Kristi had won at least a bronze medal at the 1990 worlds? It is to his credit that he did not give up and finally won the US nationals title and a world bronze. Considering what he had to deal with, this was a huge accomplishment. However, had he and Kristi pursued a pairs career, they could have eventually challenged the Russian pairs (definitely B&P, but even M&D since Y&G's jumps and throws were so strong) for an Olympic medal.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Vash01

Abt could have and should have won the 2002 Europeans. If not for injuries and having to settle for only a 3rd place in Russia (Yagudin and Plushenko had to be top 2- no argument there) his stock was already low, so judges would not give him high marks for his amazing skating skills. He almost always two footed the quad, which was THE thing in order to win a medal at the world level at that time. Abt would have done wonderfully under the COP.

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

10 !
    :swoon:
    The program she showed at 1994 Pre-Olympic event (December 1993) was fantastic in term of choreo, transitions...

12. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yeah - they had such beautiful side by side spins! And they always looked so elegant with nice lines.

13. Vash01

As much as I loved the G&G vs M&D pairs competition at the 1994 Olympics, it was rotten luck for S&N. Without the pros being allowed that year (just one time!), S&N could have been co-favorites for the OGM. Shishkova had beautiful pointed toes and positions in her lifts.

14. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Interestingly, had there not been re-instatements in 1994, one of the other choices from the poll (Meno and Sand) would have also been Olympic medallists in addition with Shishkova/Naumov.

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Hmmm, this list is full of US bias. Apparently, Kurt Browning, Sasha Abt, Maria Butyrskaya, Yuka Sato, Kovarikova & Novotny, and Fumie Suguri, all Olympic medal worthy skaters, are not US skaters, but Surya Bonaly is. :shuffle:

A poll that asks me to choose between Bobek and Bowman is just not fair. :drama:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

From this list, I picked Meno/Sand. They had gorgeous programs.

17. judgejudy27

I highly doubt Meno & Sand were medalling in 94 without the pros. First off two of the top teams (Kovarikova & Novotny and Woetzel & Steuer) seemed to give up once the pros came back and all but tanked the season. W&S I think were having their own set of problems that year anyway, so probably wouldnt have mattered, but somehow I dont see K&N who barely lost to M&S with a horrible performance losing to them if a medal was on the line. Furthermore Eltsova & Bushkov would have been at the Games and they most likely would have beaten Meno & Sand as well. A year later at Worlds these same 5 teams (minus the 3 Lillehammer medalists, all retired) were at Worlds and Meno & Sand with vastly improved artistry and their best performances ever barely won the bronze, but would have been 5th had it not been for a meltdown by Woetzel & Steuer in the LP, and the ordinals falling just barely right with Eltsova & Bushkov (who also had a subpar performance) finishing just barely between the two in the LP to flip it all around and move M&S from 5th to 3rd overall. So somehow in a field with those teams plus Brassuer & Eisler, I definitely dont see a medal for Meno & Sand.

Their medal chance (if ever) was definitely 1998.

18. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, where is Kurt? I want to vote for him..

19. Vash01

Meno & Sand always seemed to buckle under pressure, so I am not sure they would have won the bronze (assuming B&E and S&N in any order would have won gold & silver). At the 1994 they had no pressure, due to the return of the pros, so they could perform well. They were a relatively new pair, having paired up AFTER the 1992 Olympics, and there were other relatively new pairs who had an equal shot at the bronze.

Based on the results of the 1994 Olympics though, you are correct that their 5th place finish would have been a 3rd place finish.

20. judgejudy27

Honestly I am pretty sure without the reinstated pros that Meno & Sand would have finished 5th behind (in no particular order) Brasseur & Eisler, Shishkova & Naumov, Kovarikova & Novotny, and Eltsova & Bushkov (who werent even at the Games due to the pros, and who almost always beat M&S around then). I dont think they would have done any better than they did. If a time clock could be invented to see what would have happened, and they ended up winning the bronze without the pros, I would be slightly amazed. BTW yes I know they beat K&N at the Games but they skated in the same flight, while without the pros K&N would be in the final flight after the short and M&S still not most likely, and there is no guarantee K&N skate as poorly or M&S as well; it is a whole new mentality for alot of pairs without the pros. As I already mentioned a good barometer is the 95 Worlds where they barely won bronze, but looked all along like they were going to finish 5th at the 95 Worlds (had one more judge put E&B either 3rd or 5th instead of 4th they would have been 5th overall even with yet another meltdown by Woetzel & Steuer in the LP), and that was as a much improved pair with their best performances ever, and with essentialy the same field as it would have been minus Brasseur & Eisler who are an automatic spot down for M&S of course. Another barometer is the post Olympic Worlds where they faced the field they would have in Lillehammer without the pros and they finished only 6th, with some 7th and 8th place votes. They didnt skate as well as the Olympics, but like has been mentioned, different situation, different mentality.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  21. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

there's a lot of people missing in the list: Browning, Eldredge, Dob/ Van, Del/Schoen...
    but all of the people form the list are American except Surya (though she's half American by now)

22. judgejudy27

For fun sometime I make my own list of the top 100 to never win an Olympic medal across all disciplines and see where some of these fall. I wonder how many would even make a more realistic top 10, 2 or 3 perhaps at most. I am pretty sure Urbanski & Marvel wouldnt make my top 100 though, lol! The whole article must be a joke to have even included them, everytime I think of it and them being in such a list I cant stop laughing. I actually would have been mortified if skaters such as that did actually win an Olympic medal, and I would have hated to see the event as bombs would have been dropping.

23. Manaud

Manaud New Member

I would like to throw the perennial Canadian Nationals skater into the mix ---> Josee Chouinard