Which of these 10 performances was the best?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Oct 28, 2013.

?

Which of these 10 performances was the best?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2013.
  1. Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (Free Dance - 2010 Olympics)

30 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Kim Yu-Na (Free Skate - 2010 Olympics)

34 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao (Free Skate - 2003 World Championships)

32 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Michelle Kwan (Short Program - 1998 U.S. Nationals)

20 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. Alexei Yagudin (Short Program - 2002 Olympics)

31 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. Peggy Fleming (Free Skate - 1968 Olympics)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. Jayne Torvill & Christopher Dean (Free Dance - 1984 Olympics)

26 vote(s)
    13.5%
  8. Daisuke Takahashi (Free Skate - 2010 World Championships)

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Mao Asada (Free Skate - 2008 World Championships)

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Sasha Cohen (Short Program - 2006 Olympics)

7 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

For me is was Yagudin - his winter program I absolutely loved.. I remember watching it with family - we were on holiday in Florida and we all loved it and clapped.. There was something about the program that just pulled you in.. I enjoyed watching it again too - thanks for the links! Another favourite for me will always be Bolero as well - it seemed quite cutting edge at the time.. so unique..

2. crankyintheAM

crankyintheAM Member

Torvill/Dean all the way!

3. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

How can you compare across different disciplines too. They all have different values. Maybe you can mix men and women to a degree, but pairs, dance, and singles are all so different in their values and what they are trying to achieve. They shouldn't be mixed. How can you compare Kim of Vancouver, to Shen & Zhao at their best, or to Torvill & Dean's Bolero, or Virtue & Moir's best. You cant.

4. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

Hard to compare since these are from different disciplines and different scoring systems. So I just picked Kwan's performance - am more familiar with it than others. Which also could affect voting.

5. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Not my list of top 10s ever either, but I think Yagudin, Shen/Zhao and T/D were the best on "that" list.

6. Suze

Suze New Member

Thank you for posting the youtube vids alongside the performances.

I actually watched each and every linked performance and took notes for each performance.

Virtue/Moir - Love love love this performance. In the end, it came down to this perf vs. Kim's Olympic FP. It's such a sensual performance. The freeness and flow... the perfect side-by-side sequences are absolute perfection. I love the movements around 4:45 and the brief moment before they start their program. Also... Tessa is so beautiful. I spent as much time looking at her facial expressions as I did looking at their skating.

Yuna Kim - I ultimately picked her over Virtue/Moir because there's just something about her that I truly admire but can't put into words what. She is just so GOOD for skating. The image of a figure skater is often laced with some soviet-style kitschyness and I've had to deal with much mockery from friends who don't think figure skating is "cool" but Yuna changes all that. She is sophisticated, for one, and so calm and serene. I especially love her body proportions. Her thin arms and legs are long and her torso-limbs-head ratio is like an ideal ballerina's. She's lucky to be born with such great genes but the artistry and dedication she has demonstrated is really something else. I wished that Orser and David Wilson could've picked something a little more dynamic and dramatic for her Olympic scene since I felt that her Danse Macabre and Tango de Roxanne programs were much better at demonstrating how expressive she can be but this was a beautifully graceful, perfectly executed program.

Shen/Zhao - Shen's amazing landings on the throw jumps lead me to no surprise to hear of the great pain and injuries she had suffered prior to and during this performance. While I felt this performance was a little lacking in emotion, their perfect synchronization and amazing athleticism prove how deserving they were of their gold medal.

Michelle Kwan - I love MK. Period. The End. There is no one else in skating that expresses the joy and love in their facial expressions quite like her. I love her spiral. I love her ending poses. However, this performance just doesn't stand up technically to Mao Asada or Yuna Kim's. That's not to take away from her, but with Michelle, her skating has always been about the artistry for me. I would've elected her Lyra Angelica perf over Rach.

Alexei Yagudin - Possibly one of the most exciting footwork sequences ever performed (around 2:30). As irked as I was by the kitschy snow-throwing and that sweater, Yagudin's enthusiasm really shone through and engaged the audience in his performance.

Peggy Fleming - I think this is another weird one to throw in this mix. I love her hair and outfit but technically, her program isn't really on par with anything we have in competitions nowadays. Still, she is beautiful to watch and she moves divinely across the ice. I noticed she stares down at the ice a lot which cuts into her connection with the music, but thanks for including this link! It was my first time watching it and I loved the small walley jumps and connecting movements.

Torvill/Dean - Such a classic performance. I know this routine by heart. Their originality (in choreography) is just supreme! Even with the shoddiness in quality of the video, you can tell how brilliantly they executed this program. There is really nothing else like the opening sequence of this program. Though I actually hate the ending pose, I loved the movements around 4:50 (right before the end). They move so well together but I'm not sure how difficult their program was compared to Virtue/Moir (for example).

Daisuke Takahashi - This performance had a lot of red-texted marks that popped up after every jump or element. It was a little distracting since I thought the quad flip was beautiful but the red-text underneath indicated that it was underrotated. Also the camera work was awful for one of the footwork sequences since it zoomed on the top half of his body rather his lower half. I love Takahashi as a skater. He is so good at getting into character that I wonder if he won't pursue an acting career when he is done with skating. I love the way he moves his hands and the excitement he's able to exude through his skating. It's too bad that he's still marred by inconsistency in landings.

Mao Asada - I'm confused (again) why you included this particular performance. She has an awful face-plant of a fall right before her triple axel. Despite that breath-stopping fall, I am blown away at how easily she recovers and executes all the rest of her jumping passes with precision. I love watching Mao skate. She's like a young doe that you just happen to come across. She looks so fragile that you want to run out and protect her. I always root for her to do well and feel awful when she takes a fall or stumbles. I love the way she scoops her body after landing a jump. Not sure if you know what I mean, but if you watch her enough, she does this unique small dip before a quick crossover into her next move. Also, she's got a really uncanny degree of flexibility for one who jumps so well. Her final spin looks so easy and effortless!! It's such a shame about that opening fall.

Sasha Cohen - I really hate this costume. As much as I hate her costume, I even more hate that dark red nail polish because it clashes with the turquoise blue and canary yellow of her dress. Why, Sasha? WHY? Other than that, her skating is pretty mesmerizing. This particular performance I didn't care that much for, to be honest. It felt a bit rushed in parts and frantic, but I love her ending pose and confidence throughout.

Robeye and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Thank you, Suze. Your post displays the right mixture of the somewhat contrary elements that make up good commentary: rigor and sensitivity, enthusiasm and candor (which, probably not coincidentally, have their counterparts in great skating). I felt that I learned something :). I wish I felt that way more often in the course of reading posts...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  8. hertmirsh

hertmirsh Member

Fleming from the 68 Olympics? Is that seriously on the poll. That wouldnt make my top 500 performances of all time. It probably wouldnt make her own top 20.