Which men will medal at Euros?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by pinky166, Nov 20, 2010.

Which Men will Medal at Euros?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2010.
  1. Brian Joubert

75 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Tomas Verner

85 vote(s)
    94.4%
  3. Florent Amodio

33 vote(s)
    36.7%
  4. Michal Brezina

36 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. Samuel Contesti

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Alban Preaubert

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Kevin Van Der Perren

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Javier Fernandez

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. Arthur Gatchinski

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

A lot of European men seem to be skating well this season. Which ones will medal at Euros?

My picks (in whatever order):

Tomas Verner
    Brian Joubert
    Michal Brezina (if recovered) or Florent Amodio

Other contenders:

Javier Fernandez
    Samuel Contesti
    Arthur Gatchinski
    Alban Preaubert
    Kevin Van Der Perren

Am I forgetting anyone?

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Verner, Joubert, and Brezina if Brezina skates. If Brezina doesnt skate then Amodio. Verner will win I predict.

3. pinky166

Fernandez and Contesti could play spoiler. Contesti doesn't have a quad or the best PCS but he seems to be pretty consistent in the LP, if he can get his SP under control he will probably do well. Javier had a great FS at his last GP but seems to be suffering from his injury now.

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Joubert, Verner, Brezina (if in shape). Then Contesti and Fernandez !

5. pinky166

What about Amodio?

Imagine if Amodio and Verner skated their FS back to back :lol:

6. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan.

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

8. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Seriously, this could be the first time in history when we'll have two Czech guys on the podium.
    As many here, I predict Brian, Tomas and Michal. Verner seems to be gaining from moving overseas and he's having a really solid GP season. Brezina was very consistent last year, so he'll most likely win a medal if fit and ready to compete. Joubert has been there for the last nine years, so I guess whatever happens to him, he'll win bronze at least. I mean, I can't even imagine Euros podium without him anymore :p

Amodio will likely give these three a fight. Perhaps also Fernandez, but you never know with him. Contesti and VDP would have to be very lucky (all the others would have to have major mistakes) to have a slight chance for medals.

So yeah, all in all, make it a fight between two French and two Czech guys :)

9. senorita

senorita New Member

Chan (yes he has so great SS he can do this too!:encore:)

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

:rofl: Yes, if anyone is to be the next North American following Dick Button to win the European Championship, it will be Patrick Chan, and he can win all disciplines too, mens', ladies', pairs, and dance, as well as all discipline gold medals at Worlds and Olympics too. :p:encore::puppet:

11. Squibble

Squibble New Member

The medalists should come from these eight, but there are some very inconsistent skaters on the list. I think there's a remote possibility that six of these could have meltdowns (or be injured). I could see a dark horse such as Peter Liebers (if he sticks to doing singles this season), Konstantin Menshov (if he makes his national team), and Chafik Besseghier (ditto) creeping in and snatching bronze.

Menshov can do two 4T's and a 3A in his LP and scored 220.83 at the Cup of Nice this season.

Liebers could probably score that high if he landed all his jumps and skated clean.

Besseghier needs to bring his PCS and levels way up in order to give the top skaters a run for the money.

2010 Cup of Nice Men's Results

Menshov's LP at Nice

Liebers' LP

Besseghier's LP

12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I said Verner, Joubert and Brezina, if Brezina is well recovered. If not, Amodio has a good chance. He actually still has quite a good chance even if Brezina IS recovered.

Dark horses: Contesti and Preaubert, probably if others bomb. Contesti skated really well in the FS at CoR and pulled himself up (5?) placements. Preaubert is pretty consistent.

Fernandez is struggling lately, I don't think Gachinski is there yet (imo, his FS is bleh), and the judges don't seem to 'like' VDP under the CoP.

13. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I'm with senorita and museksk8r on this one :lol:

Actually, I'd like to see Verner for gold, Preaubert for silver, and Joubert for bronze.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  14. pinky166

I don't see Preaubert beating Joubert but anything's possible. Also at this point I'd say Amodio is heavy edge to Preaubert, but that's just my opinion. I wonder if Verner could still win if he doesn't do the quad? I still think he'll bring it back this season but I can't help but wonder if he doesn't do it at the GPF and does well there if he might just start avoiding it. We shall see.

15. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think the singles comps are anyone's game this year, ladies' and men's. I will not be happy if Mini-Plush medals, though. I find his skating extremely boring, quads and all.

16. nah, Tomas loves the quad. I think for him this season isn't about winning or placements so much. It's about pulling good performances and show the audience what he can do. I'm sure he will want to show off that quad at some point. :cool:

17. pinky166

I think so too. Some skaters on GS seem to think he's turning into the next Lysacek though....

18. Helenista

Helenista New Member

Tomas, Brian and Michal if he is healthy. Otherwise Florent.
    So glad to see Tomas having such a great year!

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I would love to see Tomas, Michal, Florent, Javier and Brian round out the top 5. I would love to see a Tomas, Florent and Javier Euro podium.

20. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Never!

for starters, Tomas is never going to be as boring as Lysacek :p he's never going to look like a skating spider either. And I don't see him ditching the quad, no matter if he would be able to win without it or not. He's another Takahashi in this area. I remember reading somewhere a translated interview with him some years ago, where he said he loved the quad, because it felt like flying, not exactly jumping anymore.

besides, in the post-FP interview at CoR he said the quad is coming ;)

21. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Does anyone know when is Brezina's next competition?

22. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Patrick Chan in absence. He's universal. :D

23. pinky166

Ok good, that's what I think too. He seems to love the quad too much to ditch it permanently....it would almost be like if Joubert ditched the quad, which IMO would never, ever happen.

24. pinky166

I assume Czech nationals if he's recovered by then.

25. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The only other spoiler I can think of that's not on the poll would have been Adrian Schultheiss, but he's not been performing well this season. Not sure who the 2nd Russian entrant will be alongside Gachinski. Will Switzerland even bother using all 3 of its entries?!?

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I would so like to see Schultheiss do well at Euros. His short program is really interesting, but his spirit just seems lost in that very traditional long program. I miss his straight jacket program and the zeal he showed while skating it.

I would really like to see Verner pull off the win at Euros.

27. pinky166

Oh I totally forgot about him! Yes he definitely has a shot at medaling, especially if he can re-find the form he was in at the end of last season.

28. Well I certainly wouldn't mind Tomas to become an Olympic champion and world champion ;)

29. ninadel

ninadel New Member

He landed a quad in the CoR gala finale just to remind everyone he's still got it. :p The comparison to Evan is ridiculous!

Ha! Now I'm having these images of Frank Carroll making Denis Ten learn "spider skating"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  30. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

LOL Canada and Europe are connected during geological time so he should be eligible to compete. Wait, that mean Jeremy, Dai, Oda and Kazuko will be eligible too. :D