Which men have best chances at silver and bronze at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Aug 12, 2012.

?

Which men have best chances for silver and bronze at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympic

Poll closed Feb 12, 2014.
  1. Takahashi

63.9%
  2. Hanyu

50.4%
  3. Kozuka

5.9%
  4. Brezina

5.9%
  5. Fernandez

13.4%
  6. Gaschinski

10.1%
  7. Plushenko

36.1%
  8. Lysacek

17.6%
  9. other American besides Abbott or Evan (eg- Dornbush, Weir, etc..)

10.9%
  10. Joubert

9.2%
  11. Abbott

5.0%
  12. Amodio

5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The mens event is stocking up alot of potential contenders behind Chan. The main ones seem to be the Japanese, but there are other up and comers like Ferandez, Brezina, Gachinski, Amodio, and a Plushenko skating about twice as well as his lackluster Vancouver performances (albeit still nearly winning in the abysmal Vancouver event) at last years Europeans. While I dont think Joubert, Weir, or Lysacek have much of a chance, I am sure there are some ubers who are hopeful on them too. So at this early juncture which 2 skaters at this point do you think have the best chances to win the silver and bronze medals at the 2013 Worlds and 2014 Olympics in the mens event. You can vote for more than 2 if you like as it is multiple choice.

2. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

I hope Brezina can get any placement better than 4th, and that if every single guy messes up in Sochi, he goes in and grabs that gold. :swoon:

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I voted for Takahashi and Hanyu and I think it is possible that there could be Kozuka comeback maybe, he was very impressive winning that worlds silver in 2011. 2012 Euros Plushenko was impressive but really at his age every year something is more likely to go wrong. There was no deterioration between 2010 and 2012 and only improvement but the age thing is still there.

4. misskarne

misskarne #408

Plushenko will let Chan win Sochi when hell freezes over.

Unfortunately he's at the mercy of a) his increasingly fragile body and b) the judges.

I would dearly love to see Plushenko and Gachinski go 1-2 like they did at Euros - I'm not particularly bothered which order they're in.

I think it says a lot about how ridiculous the whole situation is where we're starting to be resigned to the fact that Chan will be able to fall on his backside four times at Sochi and still win. :mad:

5. flipforsynchro

I'm not. I still think Michal will go in and take the gold. :swoon:

6. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

.... Oh, we're so sure that Chan will win gold? Excuse me, barfing forever :rolleyes::scream::yikes::blah:

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

I loathe the idea too, but really, with the way the judges have been going, is it honestly going to go any other way? We've already seen them hand him competitions where he's fallen four times.

8. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I voted Takahashi, Hanyu, and Plushenko. Everyone else is just too inconsistent or lacks the technical expertise/difficulty or stamina to challenge. Wish Abbott could get his competitive nerve together; if only he could, he would take every gold medal in sight. :wuzrobbed

9. flipforsynchro

unfortunately, we've all been saying that since 2010 :(

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I think the podium will be Chan, Hanyu, and Takahashi in some order. Most likely spoilers would be Fernandez, if he can become more consistent, and Kozuka, if he can regain his 2011 form. Lysacek, Abbott, Amodio, Brezina and Joubert are also potential spoilers but they'd all need to really up their games in terms of consistency/PCS/COP friendly programs/older age working against them (all lack at least one of those things) to have a realistic shot.

11. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Takahashi and Plushenko. I'm not sure how Hanyu's going to hold up at his first Olympics (not that he's going to skate BADLY, but he could suffer from nerves/inexperience as Chan did in 2010). I honestly can't see Plushenko off the podium, since I think he's skating BETTER than he did in Vancouver.

12. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Lysacek or Abbott !!!

13. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Kozuka Kozuka!

14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It is good for him that he is since his performances from Vancouver would probably only take 8th place at the Sochi Games. The caliber of skating in Sochi is likely to be higher than the Vancouver crapfest by an ENORmous margin, especialy as the last couple Worlds already were.

15. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

And again I won't vote in this particular poll, because I'm (still!) a believer ... call me naive, call me dump ... Daisuke for Gold in Sochi 2014!!! :cheer: :cheer2: :kickass:

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Seeing this poll's option makes me realize yet again how jam-packed men's field is! It's a blessing for skating fans:D

17. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: I'm with Zokko. Daisuke 2014!

18. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

Depending on the day it could really be any of them....except for Amodio and the other Americans!

19. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Obviously my bets are for Takahashi and Hanyu. But you never know, could be any of them ( exception of Americans ), i just hope it isnt Plushenko

And yeah i think Patrick will win

20. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I think the problem with Abbott is that even when he is on, he simply doesn't have the GOEs to come out on top, even if his skating is so superior to anyone else's his PCS should be through the roof.

21. NMURA

NMURA Member

Chan will be given the title in 2013.
    Plushenko will win 2014 olympics.
    Hanyu will win silver at both.

22. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I voted Hanyu, Takahashi, or Fernandez.

I don't see any of the US skaters in medal contention.

I'm not confident Plushenko's knees will hold up. Lysacek- karma will finally catch up and he'll be out. Abbott, one of my favorite skaters ever- but, not a competitor, sadly.

Chan will probably win.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I hope Plushenko wins a medal in his home country.

I would love to see Takahashi win an Olympic medal again- even gold, but I don't see anyone other than Chan winning the OGM. It's sort of like Hamilton in 1984 or Plushenko in 2006.

24. mossop

mossop New Member

Evgeni Plushenko, the Tsar and Quad King rules forever on Russian soil.

Sochi 2014
    1 Plushenko
    2 Gashinksky
    3 Any skater with links to Russia.

Enemy no. 1 Lysacek who took the Tsar’s gold in 2010!
    Enemy no. 2 Chan if he wins gold in London!

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. caseyedwards

Weir? Amodio? Fernandez?

26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Andreev? Rogozine? Majorov? :shuffle:

27. caseyedwards

That's hilarious! But Rogozine has potential - world junior champ! Maybe not so soon though! Majorov needs to get his SP's in order!

28. flipforsynchro

Majorov had the funniest SP last season.

29. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

30. Thanksmate

Thanksmate Member

I voted for Takahashi, Hanyu, and Gaschinski. I would like Plushenko to medal, if not to win. But I worry about his injury, so I voted for Gaschinski.