Which lady had weakest competition during time on top

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by ohashibiles, Jun 1, 2013.

?

Which lady had weakest overall average level competiion while on top in primes

1. Anett Pootosh

27 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Michelle Kwan

52 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Kim Yu Na

16 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Irina Slutskaya

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Rosalynn Summer

11 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Katarina Witt

5 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. Kristi Yamaguchi

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. Midori Ito

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  9. Oksana Baiul

37 vote(s)
    18.8%
  10. Dorothy Hamill

15 vote(s)
    7.6%
  11. Peggy Fleming

16 vote(s)
    8.1%
  12. Trixi Schubert

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

Which great female skater had the weakest overall average competition through their careers, especialy their prime years. My choice would be Anett Pootesh who was on top during a weak era with no many great skaters I thought.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The people who voted for MK .... Um... did they understand the question being asked? Michelle had fierce competitions with the likes of Chen Lu, Irina , Maria, Sasha, Tara and Sarah, among others.

My vote is for Fratianne and Annett. Maybe Dorothy also, since DeLeew and Christina Errath were weaker free skaters than Dorothy.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If the thread starter means Annett Poetzsch then her for sure. I have often said the 1977-1982 period was the most dire time ever for womens skating, although the 1982 Worlds in its direness produced massive excitement all the same. There were actually some skaters great to watch in the late 70s like Watanabe, Biellmann, Vodorezova, Marie Allen, Burge, Lenz, and many others but for a host of various possible reasons they werent ever competitive for medals other than Watanabe and Biellmann a bronze on occasion. Competitions for medals boiled down to battles between 3 completely mediocre women- Annett, Linda Fratianezzzz, and Dagmar Lurzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

4. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

What's with the spelling? Makes her sound like an obscure Rajput kingdom somewhere near the Himalayas, as Romanized by Kipling. ;)

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I vote for Rosalynn Summer. Her last name is a beautiful season.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Trixi Schubert? I loved her Rosamunde Short Program. :swoon:

ETA: Given that these ladies were all on top, would someone please send me a PM and let me know who was on bottom? :saint:

7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I absolutely echoe this. Totally baffled that there are people who even consider MK weak at any moment. Doesn't nine straight Worlds medals, FIVE GOLDS among them, say anything? Besides, MK executed more 7-triple LPs than most of the most fierce competitors!

8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

It must be from those who say that MK must win every poll. :p

I voted for Anett Pootosh. (I don't know if that spelling is a joke or for real, but :lol:)

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  9. munow

munow New Member

It's Anett Pötzsch.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Out of the ones I do know (I'm too young for the Poetzsch era), Baiul.. although she wasn't on top long. But Kerrigan, Bonaly, and Sato as competition don't really compare to the people that the other 90s/00s leading ladies had to face. Well, there was also Chen for Baiul, but Chen hadn't really reached her prime yet.

11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

But what about the Pootosh era?

12. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I was thinking it might could be that, but I was also wondering if some psychotic Yu-Na fanatics were somehow trying to lessen Kwan's accomplishments by claiming she had no competition to try and make Yu-Na somehow seem better, which is really contradictory if that is what is happening considering how those same Yu-Na fanatics claim that Mao, Joannie, Carolina, and Miki are no competition whatsoever for Yu-Na. Freakin' DELUSIONAL! :rollin:

13. karlon

karlon New Member

:(
    her fans did something wrong to you? huh...

14. museksk8r

No, reading comprehension shows that some of her fans dismiss her competitors and skating peers that came before her; they haven't done anything to me. I actually like many things about Yu-Na; her charitable spirit and her competitive nerve and jumping technique minus the loop, but nobody's perfect. ;)

15. munow

munow New Member

Anyway it doesn't make sense because Kwan lost to Lipinski more times than she won against.

I must say I consider Asada, Kostner (when she is on) and Rochette tougher competition than Slutskaya, Cohen and Hughes (lol).

16. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Nice try, LOL. Give me an example in which Yu-Na fans dismissed Kwan’s or previous skating greats’ accomplishments. Yu-Na fans are not that complex minded.

Given that Kwan indeed had stiff competition during her active years, and by the fact that this poll had gathered mysteriously overwhelming number of choices for (or against) Kwan in its early stage (even though the poll question is fairly easy to be understood clearly), AND given that the poster like you now giving an unmistakably cheap shot at Yu-Na fans, its intended plan is clear to me.

Give it up, J-bot. Are you and the OP ohashibliles buddies?

17. munow

munow New Member

I do find musekskater's bitter sentiments against "some" Kim fans a bit funny.

18. museksk8r

That's not correct.

1996 Nationals
    Kwan 1st, Lipinski 3rd

1996 Worlds
    Kwan 1st, Lipinski 15th

1996 Trophee Lalique
    Kwan 1st, Lipinski 3rd

1997 Nationals
    Lipinski 1st, Kwan 2nd

1997 GPF
    Lipinski 1st, Kwan 2nd

1997 Worlds
    Lipinski 1st, Kwan 2nd

1997 Skate America
    Kwan 1st, Lipinski 2nd

1998 Nationals
    Kwan 1st, Lipinski 2nd

1998 Olympics
    Lipinski 1st, Kwan 2nd

Record:
    Kwan 5, Lipinski 4

I definitely agree with you on this! I never understood why some of Kim's fans tried to downplay those 3 ladies. Slutskaya, Cohen, and Hughes are definitely not the weakest competition ever though. Michelle also had to fend off Tara Lipinski, Chen Lu, and Maria Butyrskaya. Kwan's longevity made her the target of many ladies. :)

19. museksk8r

Laughter is the best medicine; I get many :lol: from reading this forum. Laugh away. :rollin:

20. museksk8r

This, for instance, is hysterical, as I don't even know what it means, but the simple thought that anyone thinks I'm a "bot" is funny.

21. munow

munow New Member

Thanks for correction. ;)

22. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Well, I found it funny you lodged unfounded accusation on Yu-Na fans on a simple poll not really directly related to Yu-Na or her fans. Who's the first offender?

And, do you think a "bot" or a "hater" is that clearly differentiated in substance?

23. torren

torren New Member

I agree on this!!!! this era's skaters are not weaker than cohen or Hughes at all! her main rivals like Mao are definitly great, strong skaters

24. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

If that comforts you, fine. I disagree with the claim that the currently active ladies are more competitive, or comprehensively stronger, than the ones from a generation earlier.

25. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Judging by OP's rationale for her choice of Anett Poetsch, I think the question is intended to be who faced the weakest field of competitors, not who had the weakest performance during their competitive career. Although, people seem to be interpreting the question both ways.

I still wouldn't choose Kwan, the few times she had flawed performances she did not win. Two major competitions (96 Worlds and 98 Olympics) were hair-splittingly close. I think her dominance of a decade was due to her amazing consistency, not weak competition.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  26. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

BTW, you're too a J-bot, right? I find these loaded poll questions, not just this one but the one(s) you started, apparently aiming to be implicit but funnily apparent, somewhat typical of the kind.

27. torren

torren New Member

:lol:

So Do you think this era's ladies competitors like Mao, Ando, Kostner are weaker than Cohen or Huhges?? Particulary Mao who is no.2 in this era is weaker than slutzkaya, cohen???

28. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yes. Technically, Slutskaya was stronger. Performance wise, Cohen was stronger. It's of course my opinion. Do you find it funny? :lol:

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Why are you accusing other posters of being a "J-Bot?"

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The pollster's phrasing (not to mention spelling, of course) is a real hash of a mess (especially since different interpretations are possible), but who cares!?

It's the off-season! :summer:

Very funny. Maybe it should have been "Rosalynn Winter," and maybe then she would have beat Witt?

:lol:

Forget that last request! I wanna see a vid of Schubert's Rosamunde!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-QjmP_ZyM

Uhhh?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCk8tt6gfAY Well, I doubt Trixi herself ever woulda shined in Rosamunde judging by this weak, labored interpretation of another composer's music. Ummm, wow at 1:50 timing to the music. And that hairstyle!? That must be what was weighing her down. :yawn:

ETA:
    The comment by the youtube poster shows that the poster isn't familiar with more accomplished freestyle skaters of that era. But sure, skating has changed, just not necessarily in every respect for the better.

BTW, which skaters (singles, pairs or dance) could do Rosamunde justice?