Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jan 6, 2013.

Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. Midori Ito

93 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Tonya Harding

36 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Ludmila Nelidina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yukari Nakano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kimmie Meissner

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Mao Asada

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That would be neat if you could convert and upload it. I love Josée and have no doubt that if she landed the 3A it was a great thing to see. I cannot imagine her standing one up in a performance or competitive situation because of her mishaps checking landings.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I hope Mao gets her 3A back. She is the only lady in recent years to have landed it in competitions.

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It's so true that Mao's 3A is a model for what ladies can be doing. If it was valued a bit more, it would encourage others too.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Why would she bother. When she was doing the triple axel she was often getting downgrades on it and other jumps, and the jump layout value even before the deductions was even coming out to lose. Even when she skated well with it at events like Four Continents and Japanese Nationals in 2011 she couldnt even beat someone like Miki Ando. Now she is doing safe programs, no triple-triple tries, often only 3 clean triples, and is getting huge marks and winning every event for the first time in years, so what kind of message does that send to her, LOL! Proof of the vast flaws of the new system.

5. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

There was footage of Maria's 3axel during practices at 1996 Worlds on Magic Memories on Ice which was put out back in the 90s. The rotation on it was real good, but it was two footed although I don't' doubt there were clean ones also landed during the practice.

Between Harding and Ito I guess I'd say that I'd give it to Ito for how many times she landed it as well as the height and distance. Harding's would have been perfect had it not been for the lean.

6. Vash01

Agreed :)

7. Vash01

The ISU should allow more points for ladies 3A than for mens, because it is so rare. I know it creates some difficulties in scoring, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

To balance it, may be a man doing a Biellman spin or a layback (true) spin should get more credit than a lady- just kidding. :)

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re. Aki Sawada:
    I did a search of the FSU Archives and came up with these posts dated June 6-7, 2003:
    My post:
    Bluelutz's post:
    "Like Sylvia wrote, Ota shares the coach, Mie Hamada with Aki Sawada who
    attempted 3A a few times in minor competitions besides Japanese Junior
    nationals last season."

Miki_tan's post:
    "Aki Sawada(14)'s 3A attempts in late March 2003 competition looked
    closer to land than last fall competition attempts."

So, still no hard evidence regarding when/where Aki Sawada may have landed a 3A in Japanese competition.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That's hilarious. I think the ISU rules should value elements differently for men and women.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  10. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Tonya Harding. Skate America 1991. Hands down.

11. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Lol, actually it wasn't someone, but rather a gaggle of someones that marked it as spam. :lol: Which tickles my funny bone because youtube posters are hilarious, especially when you disagree with them. :D

Anyhow, I take it all in stride with a grain of salt and a pinch of vinegar thrown in. :cool:

Back to 3axels! :kickass: I'm a stickler for technique, and a leg wrap is a leg wrap is a leg wrap ad infinitum, no matter how legendary or nice/kind the person doing it is. Doesn't make a bit of difference, it's like the story of the duck, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it is a duck. Leg wrap = bad technique. Period.

Now I want to talk about Mao's 3axel, especially when done perfectly, like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-sHFceaGEY *replay starts at 4:50, wherein commentator Susie Wynne classifies it as textbook perfect* :hat1:

So even though Tonya & Midori's 3axels were high and powerful and completedly rotated with no underrotation issues ever, Mao's in comparison make up for it by being elegant, feminine, balletic, tight in the air with legs close together, and lovely. Deceptive power packaged in the body of a ballerina. :oksana1::shizuka1::sasha1::sarah1:

ps: thanks so much for the story about Kristi's admiration of Tonya's 3axel; I'm not surprised, look at her face when Tonya finishes her program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdC5G7CDvbI :cool:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.