Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jan 6, 2013.

?

Which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition so far?

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. Midori Ito

93 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Tonya Harding

36 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Ludmila Nelidina

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yukari Nakano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kimmie Meissner

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Mao Asada

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Came across this video this afternoon, which is a compilation of triple axels performed by ladies singles skaters up to 2009. Quite a few ladies skaters have attempted triple axels in practice, but so far only 6 have landed them in competition since Midori Ito first did so in 1988.

So, which ladies singles skater has performed the best triple axel in competition?

As the above video only goes up to 2009, here are Mao Asada's SP & FS from the 2010 Olympics in which she became the first ladies skater to perform three 3A's in the same competition:-

Short Program, Free Skate

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I can't believe that 2% more of the voters thought Asada had a better triple axel than Harding. What were they watching. Harding was much closer to Ito than this vote shows

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Agreed.

BTW, Tiffany Chin's practice 3axels were gorgeous!

4. Suze

Suze New Member

I like the elegance and smoothness of Asada's triple axel but my vote goes to Ito still. Her jumps were simply huge. She leapt into the air higher than I've seen anyone else of her height ever reach. She could also do a great triple axel - triple toe loop combo albeit in practice only.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If one is talking about the quality of the jump itself, not courage to attempt it often or do it numerous times in a program, Asada shouldnt have any votes. Even Nelidina's triple axel is much better. Ito is the clear winner for me. Harding was an amazing jumper when on, but her triple axel had a bad lean and ugly air position even when she landed it. In other jumps she can successfuly compete with Ito, but not that one.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Midori Ito and Tonya Harding were the only high quality 3A jumpers. Kimmie's 3A shouldn't even have been ratified. Mao has landed it many times in competitions, and she did a respectable job, especially in the 2010 Olympics (landed three 3A's in the competition, which is a very big achievement) but in terms of quality of a 3A, none except Tonya comes close to Midori's. The one she landed toward the end of her LP in Albertville was a beauty, and so was the one in her 1990 worlds LP. I still think her best 3A was as a pro, in the 'Rose of pain' technical program. That was unbelievable in its speed (in and out of it), power, position, and cleanness.

'Rose of pain' program: the triple axel is almost at the start (around 20 seconds into the program)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvxvcEK7pk

7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Harding achieved that hang time and exit speed that only men have. Ito, in part thanks to her miniature stature, looked explosive, but wasn't quite as much of a man as Harding. Ito beats Harding in that she makes the 3A look beautiful and effortless in all stages of the jump. I think Mao had the prettiest air position, and circa 2008 it was clean and with a more feminine landing position. So I like all three, but I will conclude with a preference for Ito. Midori had the first and arguably finest 3A.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

ITA !

9. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

To me, Ito will always be the Triple Axel :glamor:

10. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

According to Canadian coverage from the 1986 World Championships, Elizabeth Manley was landing triple axels in practice. Knowing what great jumps she had, I bet that would have really been something.

Also, in the ladies' short program warm-up at Skate America 1992, Lisa Sargeant landed a beauty of a triple axel.

Angela Deroche, Sydne Vogel, Melissa Bulenhagi and Joanne Carter were landing the jump in practice at some point, too.

11. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Wasn't Joannie Rochette working on the 3A at some point? I could imagine her having a good one (in practice).

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA that Harding should have more votes. Although I voted for Ito, I feel it is kind of a toss-up between Ito and Harding. Mao has landed some good triple axels but not consistently and not with the technical brilliance of Ito and Harding.

13. briancoogaert

IIRC, Surya Bonaly and Maria Butyrskaya are supposed having worked on 3Axel at some point (Surya circa 1994 and Maria circa 1996)

14. essence_of_soy

A friend of mine and I saw Maria land triple axels in practice at the 1996 World Championships in Edmonton. They covered amazing distance, too.

15. briancoogaert

Good to read ! Sometimes, I doubt what commentators say about skaters attempting jumps at the practices !

16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think Irina Slutskaya at some point in her career also worked on it in practice. Before the OG in 1992, if I recall it right.

My vote went for Midori. Her triple axel was amazing! :swoon: And she landed it noticably more often in competition than Tonya Harding.
    I too wonder that quite many people voted for Mao or Kimmie, compared to Axels of the other two girls. :rolleyes:

17. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I don't see why Peggy Fleming would be motivated to exaggerate Maria's abilities.

18. essence_of_soy

19. briancoogaert

Peggy is not the only commentator in the World ;)

20. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Ito and Harding

Mao's triple axels are too tiny

21. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Midori, hands down.. there is not even a close second.. Even when Harding landed hers, most of the time the jump was tilted in the air and somehow she had a gorgeous landing.. Midori had power, height, speed AND a straight axis..

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I can think of a seventh.

Triple Axel Gives Sawada An Edge

I don't know of any videos, but perhaps someone else can find one.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

but at least she can land them. How many other ladies can?

IMO Yukari Nakano had landed 3A's but the COP UR rule killed any motivation she may have had. It did not make sense to put the effort into doing a 3A and getting it degraded to a double. It was better than Kimmie Meissner's.

24. emadden

emadden New Member

I used to watch Josee Chouinard practising triple axels at the Mariposa in Barrie.
    She was a very technical skater as well as being graceful.
    If only her nerves had not kept her from showing the world what she could do!

25. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

she did but I notice as she got older her 3 axels ( attempted ) got smaller.

though practices are different from landing them at real competitions, a considerable number of ladies as other have pointed out have attempted and landed triple axels in practices. I can see Tuk doing triple axels in competitions once she adjusts to her new body, her technique is solid , the height and distance she covers on her 2 axels are huge. her body and height is almost comparable to Ito's.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Current skaters will always get a boost in these kinds of polls. Ask this question again in 10 years and Asada will not be close to Harding, I promise.

27. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Often people only count jumps done in International competition. Typically Nationals do not count if that is the only place they ever did the jump.

28. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Because they were performed at small low level national competitions, I have never come across any confirmation that they were ever officially ratified. If you do come across anything, do let us know.

29. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Midori ito no question

30. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Mao has the best consistent in-air technique. She is the only one in that video to have a completely straight posture and no high leg wrap.

If you want to give an award for popularity or sheer number of attempts, then Ito wins. But not on consistent technique.