Which is proper grammar?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cupid, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Please help:

Is it proper to say,

"... your and your sister's account ..."

or

"... you and your sister's account ..."

?
    Thanks much

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

The first one is correct, though somewhat awkward. The second one doesn't work at all -- remove "your sister's" and say the rest of the sentence and you can see that it's incorrect.

The best construction, depending on the context (i.e., if sister is present to hear) would be to say simply "your account" -- since "your" can be either singular or plural.

Domshabfan, J-Ro and CantALoop like this.
  3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The first one. Use reversal to figure it out. You would not say "your sister's and you account".

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Thanks much! :)

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The first one (others have already said this).

6. madm

madm Active Member

I would rephrase the sentence to say "our account" or "our shared account". It's less awkward. Or "the account my sister and I share".

J-Ro likes this.
  7. PDilemma

You just changed the meaning. "Your" means someone else's account. She could say "the account shared by you and your sister" or "that you and your sister share", but unless she is writing a speech, the awkward syntax of the correct grammar is not such a big deal. And a person may have more than one shared bank account with different co-owners, so the distinction is likely necessary.

8. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

"your sister's and your shared account?"

Sorry, late to the party.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

"The account you share with your sister" is probably how I would phrase it without changing the meaning. Though I guess it depends what else you intend to say.

CantALoop, CassAgain and manhn like this.
  10. tamuno

tamuno Member

Yours and your sister's accounts ....................

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

No, that's not correct. It's your, not yours. Again, if you take out "your sister's" that would make it "Yours accounts."

And as I said earlier, "Your" can be either singular or plural, so depending on the context, "Your account" would probably be sufficient.

CantALoop likes this.
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

You could also say "Your joint account with your sister".

13. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Yeah, yours would only be correct if it were two separate accounts. One account is yours and the other would be your sister's. Otherwise, the first one is correct, if a bit awkward.

14. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

This is one of those cases that shows why the English language changes so much. I bet in another generation or so "you and your sister's" will be deemed correct. It certainly sounds better and I would hazard it is more widely used at least orally as well.

The one I cannot reconcile myself to is the incorrect use of I and me (and she and her, etc.). E.g., "She told Bobby and I about the incident." Apparently people think this sounds more correct and never learned the principle of omitting the "extra" words (here "Bobby and") to see if the sentence sounds right. I always think of Marilyn Monroe saying "Take a girl like I...." :)

15. madm

madm Active Member

The misuse of "Me" as a subject in a sentence drives me crazy. Example: "Me and my sister went to the park today." My oldest daughter does this all the time and I have failed in trying to correct her, mostly because a lot of her friends speak the same way. I blame this habit on her watching Sesame Street when she was young. Cookie Monster always says "Me want cookie!." And she idolized Cookie Monster.

The correct example sentence should be "My sister and I went to the park today."

16. tamuno

tamuno Member

Thanks. How about 'I had drove from Cincinnati..........' Ugh!

17. mazzy

mazzy Active Member

OTOH, many are massively overcorrecting that mistake. I'm always irritated when I hear "between you and I" or similar. As a non-native speaker I obviously make plenty of mistakes myself, but that one along with "whom" being totally forgotten always throws me off.

18. madm

madm Active Member

Kids aren't taught basic sentence diagramming anymore. They do not understand "subject-verb-object". "I" is used as the subject of a sentence, and "me" is used as the object of a sentence. Period.

19. PDilemma

It depends on the school and curriculum. I subbed in junior English yesterday and it was "grammar Friday" and the lesson was direct objects.

And, for the record, it is subject-action verb-object and subject-linking verb-predicate nominative. "Me" is an objective pronoun and used in the objective case. "I" is a subjective pronoun but is also used in the nominative case. So "subject-verb-object" is not always correct as it depends on the type of verb.

20. J-Ro

J-Ro Member

Yes. When in doubt, rephrase!