Which Ice Dance Pair was the Most Mismatched in Skill?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Macassar88, Apr 22, 2013.

1. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Wester / Barantsev That was so painful to watch at the beginning.

Angelika Krylova with her first partners. They were not bad, but she had so much charisma and fire that she made them disappear.

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yes! It's why so many are saying the same people. that when the new rules of 98-02 and then certainly later were implemented dancers real technical level was exposed severely and obviously.

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

We have a winner! :40beers:

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Gilles and Poirier are pretty mismatched

But yes - Khoklova and Andreev - was he even a dancer? I thought he did singles?

5. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

IA with Gilles and Poirier. Chock/Bates too. I know this post is going to anger a lot of people but may I be the devil's advocate and suggest D/W? Overall I feel like she is better than him but he has better edges than her (I think that's why he falls all the time his edges are crazy and deep) and sometimes I feel like I'm watching two great single skaters dance with each other and that they don't skate as one.

6. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I don't think that Meryl is better than Charlie. When you start learning more about ice dance it becomes quite obvious that he is doing most of the work technically in terms of skating and also lifting. And it's a huge exaggeration that he falls all the time. He almost fell once last season, and this season he didn't fall at all. Meryl may be more noticeable in terms of expression and I've had the feeling that she is the one who drives the pair forward emotionally and performance wise, but when I actually look at Charlie I see that he is not that bad either - he is just subtler at times.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Well Charlie White did singles! But that was always in addition to dance and dance was the first love I think. Because he chose dance over singles and hockey I believe. Singles doesn't mean that one can't be a dancer! Or learn the dances and patterns. They were not an embarrassing dance team. They were better than I/K in the 2011 Russian nationals Free dance! They could've had a great career as a possible Russian number 2 team. B/S always being the number one since Vancouver.

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Had he done ice dance with a broom or mop, Peter Tchernyshev might have found a partner closer to his athletic and technical level.

9. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

:eek:
    What a nice remark....

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Naomi had very elegant body line, but she really could only turn in one direction, AFAIR, so Lang & Tchernyshev would be a choice.

I'd have to go with Khoklova & Andreev if they had had a long career, but they only skated together a year or so, hardly time for him to catch up.

For teams currently skating, Gilles & Poirier. However, really such a conclusion about worst mismatch should be made at the end of the couple's career, not at the beginning.

Of couples that made the medal level, it would have to be Grushina & Goncharov. He had nowhere near the power in his stroking that she did, nor anything else at her level, really.

Maurizio had elegant carriage and a good ability to catch the character of the dance, especially of the Latin dances & tango.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

12. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I could never hate on F-P&M too much because I always felt that despite his technical shortcomings, Maurizio was one of the few men who had a real range of performance ability.

Why is it always the Italian and French teams that can pull off the Latin type stuff?

13. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I never liked Fusar-Poli, although she was better than Margaglio when it came to dance, but he was just so goodlooking...

14. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

I'm trying to think of who she wouldn't have made disappear. Maybe french guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Carmina Burana. I can't believe I can't remember his name.

15. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

That's harsh. I thought Peter was WAY better than a broom or a mop.

16. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

LITERALLY LOL... not just typing it because i smiled.

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Galit Chait, especially in the early years of C/S's international competitive career. He was way, way, way better than she was. She got better as time went on, but never really got close to his level. I know I saw them at least four times at international competitions, and her skating skills were clearly weaker, especially when you saw her at practices with other top teams on the ice at the same time practicing compulsories.

18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

You mean Gwendal Peizerat, the 2002 olympic champion, donĀ“t you?
    Margaglio was such a good actor that you often forgot to watch his feet. Kostomarov did not have that talent, even though he was pleasant to watch.

19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Krylova and Peizerat would have been interesting to see. I think Platov could have held his own with Krylova, too. Btw, have Krylova and Camerlengo ever performed together?

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Haha, I think you're being sarcastic but I think the poster's point is implying that Naomi was worse than a broom or mop.

21. DORISPULASKI

She had far more elegant posture and toe point than a broom or mop ;)

22. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Because we got the hottest skaters :p
    Ok jokes aside, regarding Italian ice dance I think it's because the Italian school puts a lot of emphasis on interpretating every genre of music.

23. DORISPULASKI

May the Italian school continue to emphasize versatility in interpretation :encore: :encore:

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

25. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Hmmm Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov??

Still I could watch their RAdam & Eve any time.

Also Morgan Matthews seemed way more talented than Maxim Zavozin.

26. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

My vote definitely goes to Fusar Poli and Margalio... so much 2 foot skating. He did improve so much as years went on though!

27. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I used to think that he was pretty clearly better at twizzles than she, but they're both amazing at them now.

28. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

He was very musical and much more of a showman but her blades were also excellent. Among their contemporaries, they were actually a much better matched team than some others. Folks have already mentioned Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, but Drobiasko was also a much weaker skater technically than Vanagas and Galit Chait was totally undeserving of her Russian emigre partner.

It is the other way around. This odd generation of mis-matched teams mostly rose to the top of the senior level under the old judging system before there were any required elements in dance. I do think, though, that COP's elements were developed in part in response to dancers of that time. I still think this generation of mis-matched couples (esp the Italians) is why we see the no-touch steps and SBS twizzles as elements in ice dance today. Before COP, there was no precedent for dance teams skating without touching, as partner separations in dance were strictly limited.

When they were a young team, before his knee troubles, I actually thought he was the better skater.

I agree they weren't obviously mismatched in terms of skill though they were a bit too similar in height. Like Averbukh, Maxim was the showier partner.

I always thought Delobel/Schoenfelder were pretty mismatched. Apart from the awkward difference in height, he was a much better skater than she.

I don't think it was a question of dance being his first love. He started ice dance because his singles coach thought it would improve his posture and skating. (He tended to skate leaning forward like a hockey player, apparently.) He skated singles all the way thru juniors. I know he did 3 lutzes, I don't know if he ever learned a 3 axel. I think it probably just came down to deciding to chose the one where he was having the most success.

Personally, I always thought Charlie was a better skater than Meryl when you look at their edges. Today, though, I'd say they are pretty even. Especially in the last couple years, her edges and their cleanness and unison have improved remarkably.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  29. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

As I think that DenStas were among the best matches in Ice Dancing of the last decade...
    I'd say, well, their similar height is one of the features I do much appreciate. If it was pairs, I'd fully agree, you expect a much smaller female partner then. But in Ice Dancing, such similar height adds to harmonious dance postures and an eqaulity in the steps/dance patterns (don't know how to put it better).

30. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

C/S he was light years fast & better then her