Which foreign skaters do Russian fans like?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Nov 18, 2010.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

The Japanese thread made me think about Russian fans. Is there a certain type of skater that Russian fans like? Any particular skater? Any particular style? Is it perhaps regional [other Eastern European skaters]?
  2. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Well, I can't say for all Russian fans, but I like many foreign skaters.
    Ladies: Mao and Yu-Na of course for their elegance and easy-looking jumps
    Men: Joubert for his powerful, athletic skating, and Takahashi, he is an amazing performer
    Ice dance: I prefer European teams like Pechalat/Bourzat and the Kerrs, but I also like Virtue/Moir
    Pairs: only S/S and Russian teams, don't really like Chinese teams
  3. Margaret

Margaret New Member

I'm not Russian but I think Russians like balletic and/or artistic skaters. Think Tarasova's programs for non-Russian skaters like Mao or Johnny (please, let's not turn this into another Johnny-bashing thread). Russian broadcasters go absolutely crazy about Lambiel. But at the same time they seem to appreciate Joubert kind of atheticism as well.
  4. Squibble

Squibble New Member

Yuka Kawaguchi, Jérôme Blanchard, Tatiana Volosozhar, Ksenia Makarova, and Jonathan Guerreiro

:EVILLE:
  5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think in Russia every skater could find fans :D
    I think the bigest fan community have Stefhan Lambiel :)
    Johny have a big fan-club in Russia - russians Johny Angels
    Joubert, Takahashi - are very popular too.
    Mao is very popular in Russia (maybe more popular, then Yu-Na)
    Faella-Scalli, Kerrs have big support too. A lot off russians fans like french skaters.
    One skater, who didnt have a lot off supporters in Russia - Patrick Chan
  6. olympic

That is interesting
  7. sus2850

sus2850 Member

I think Chan not being that popular might have to do with exposure: he's not been to cup of russia, and cannot be seen skating that often in Europe (TEB 2008 + worlds 2010 were the last 2 times if I remember correctly), no gala appearances.

I actually wonder how well Ksenia is liked - as she is not training in Russia, is this a disadvantage?
  8. museksk8r

museksk8r Well-Known Member

Patrick was at 2008 Worlds in Gothenburg, Sweden where he finished 9th. He also competed at the 2007 TEB, which he won. Chan's supposed lack of exposure has nothing to do with the dislike of his skating; the constant over-scoring with his very flawed programs does, granted he can't help the scores he receives from the judging panel.
  9. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

What is the Russian's attitude toward Evan Lysacek, B/A, D/W, VM, I/B?
  10. Eris

Eris New Member

As a Russian I can say that my most favourite skaters are from France and the USA: Pechalat/Bourzat and Nagasu. I do like lots of Japanese and American skaters, S/S in pairs. But I'm strange: the're very few Russian skaters I love :)
  11. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Lysacek is definitely less hated in Russia than here on FSU. There's no any attitude towards him actually, he looks like non-existent in Russian fans' eyes. He's neither loved, nor hated and his victory over Plushenko in Vancouver didn't change things much.
    Russians mostly love V/M but usually dislike D/W thinking with their skating style they are killing ice dance.

Yes, definitely, Russians mostly love balletic and dramatic skaters (that's why Chinese pairs were never popular in Russia, even S/Z).
  12. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Why?
  13. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

As a Russian woman I can say that Italians, men especially, are loved. Margaglio was adored every time when he came to St-Petersburg.
  14. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

True. :lol::lol::lol:
  15. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Just curious ... is Johnny Weir popular in Russia?
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

http://weir.ru/
    ;)
  17. sk8tingfan

sk8tingfan New Member

Making generalisations is dangerous, but I'll walk on the wild side and make some opinions based on me and friends of mine.

For Lysacek it is really just a neutral feeling. Nothing special in the love or hate department.

B/A were seen as good competitors but I and lots of friends thought their style didn't mature over the years until they went to Linichuk but by then there were new NA darlings in dance and B/A got chacked. I think we all wanted a good rivalry with B/A and D/S and are a little dissapointed we didn't really get it. ;)

D/W are seen as technicians and athletes but not asthetically pleasing. Mostly they are seen as points accumlating machine and no "soul".

V/M are mostly liked or thought of fondly. They have a soft and more balletic style which seems to appeal with the skating fans in Russia.

If by I/B you mean Inoue and Baldwin, they are the non-entity.

As for others, I think Fede and Massimo, Nathalie and Fabian, Savcheno and Szolkowy, Takahashi, and Mao are all well liked.

Now please don't :lynch: come after me. :eek:
  18. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Well, there were several Johnny banners ("Johnny we miss you" etc) at CoR and he is not even competing.
  19. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Has he done shows in Russia lately? If you have a fan base in a country, you might as well capitalize on it.
  20. olympic

Interesting that Pani noted Chan specifically being unloved. He has nice skating skills, but is it Chanflation, big mouth? Interesting...
  21. pani

pani Well-Known Member

People didnt like him because of his medals with falls and big mouth ;)
  22. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Do Russians prefer Kwan or Cohen more?

Just thought I'd get this thread to 1k posts. :lol:
  23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Slutskay :D They prefer Slutskay more and a lot off people think she msut be Olympic champion.
    But this didnt mean all russian fans dont like Kwan and Cohen. I love them both ;)
  24. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Well-Known Member

Well I don't really like either one but I prefer Cohen.
  25. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Neutral to both may be with a little bit a soft spot for Cohen. Almost the same attitude towards Kwan as to Lysacek. S/P and Hughes are widely hated.
    Interestingly, Russians never cared about American skaters in any discipline (until Johnny appeared). However two Brians battle was very popular with Russian fans. Toller Cranston was loved by Soviets. Yes, Canadians definitely gained more Russian love than Americans (and still do).
  26. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Vast generalizations, but:
    Cohen over Kwan, but Slutskaya above all.
    Joubert, Weir and Verner can do no wrong. Soft spot for Preaubert- generally a soft spot for the French. Joubert, Preaubert, Amodio, Pechalat/ Bourzat.
    Lambiel is very much loved, as well. Perhaps not as universally as a Russian champion would be, but very passionately.
    Mao over Kim, for the most part.
    Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry is legendary and a source of great pride.
    Saying that Virtue/ Moir are " aristocratic", far beyong their years; their win is not disputed or, even, resented.
    Generally Canadians have faired better with Russians than Americans over the years ( Johnny excepted), so the dislike of Chan is only due to perceived overscoring. His quad, and 4+3 are going a long way to remedy that.
  27. topaz

topaz New Member

Somehow I figured this would be the case.

I thought the Russian fans were kind to Shen/Zhao at the Worlds a few year ago. From what I watched, it seemed the fans enjoyed their performances. S/Z have a certain intimacy on the ice that is hard to ignore and not appreciate.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. topaz

topaz New Member

Doesn't Cohen have Russian ancestry?
  29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think her mother is a Russian national from the Ukraine.
  30. olympic

Wouldn't the rivalry over the years with Slute and Bute have perhaps made Russians look at Kwan as more of a nemesis [bad guy]?
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Holy cow, it says Johnny has accepted the role of the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland On Ice which will take place in Russia over the winter. Also to take part is Elena Berezhnaya as White Queen and Tatiana Totmianina as Red Queen. Cool!

Back to the thread topic: as an ex-Soviet I guess my Russian roots were showing when I liked Cohen over Kwan and Asada over Kim. And I always loved Johnny who it appears has a huge following. Virtue/Moir did win me over with their elegance.
  32. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

33. krenseby

krenseby New Member

It seems to me that it's possible to like both skaters whatever nationality/background you have. Cohen and Asada both have lots of American fans. (Well I assume Asada has American fans, I can't prove it of course.)
  34. mia joy

mia joy New Member

:rofl:
  35. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

I take it Mao is pretty popular in Russia. How about other Japanese skaters?

Oh, #17 says Takahashi is well liked. Other than Mao and Dai, who gets good response?
  36. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Yes, but this thread it titled "Which foreign skaters do Russian fans like."
  37. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Miki Ando. Even more than Takahashi.
  38. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

You know, all skaters have their main rivals but it's silly to consider all rivals of your favorite skater to be bad guys. En masse skating funs realize that. Rival should do really "bad" thing (like cheating (Hughes) or whining (S/P)) to become a "bad guy" in some other skater's fans' eyes.
    Talking about Kwan Russian public wasn't mad about her skating because in average Russian skating fan's eyes her programs were a kind of boring (remember Russians love everything dramatic and passionate) and she didn't have any wow-elements to impress.