Which foreign skaters do Japanese fans like?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Nov 17, 2010.

1. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Hi, I know that Japan has plenty of successful skaters within the country, but are there any foreign skaters from outside of Japan that are popular with Japanese skating fans? (Are there any foreign skaters who could come on tour to Japan and be overwhelmed by fans seeking their autograph?)

2. lily

lily Active Member

Aren't Plushenko, Lambiel and Buttle those?

3. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Johnny Weir has solid fan base in Japan. Mirai Nagasu if you count her as foreigner.

4. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong here, but Japanese fans have always struck me as liking any skater(s) who are good at their job. They never seem to me as being particularly partisan.

5. nanigirl

nanigirl Member

I was surrounded by Japanese ladies in the stands at 2009 worlds. They were in love with Brian Joubert and Jeremy Abbott. Also, Charlie White.

6. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I can see Joubert being really popular.

7. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think it's more about the looks than anything else..

8. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Point taken. :)

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Tomas Verner! At 07 Worlds in Tokyo the crowd went CRAZY when he skated his great FS, he got lots of stuffies!

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yagudin. The pandemonium after his Worlds LP 2002 is something to behold.
    Nowadays, I agree, anybody who is good at what they do. Definitely Weir, Abbott, Joubert.

11. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Any skater not named Yuna Kim. :D

I'm sure there are plenty of Kim fans in Japan, but at Worlds last year in LA, all the Japanese people I saw refused to even clap for Kim. One man looked downright irate that she skated well.

12. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I find that hard to believe, sorry :confused:

13. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Similar thing happened at TEB 2009, where most Japanese fans attending the event didn't join in the ovation after Kim skated.

I too believe there are many Yu-Na fans in Japan. But for the majority of others hatred for Yu-Na runs deep.

14. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I think hatred is far too strong of a word. And you added "runs deep" in there, as if it's a hereditary trait in Japan to hate Yu-Na. Did you know that Yu-Na is the 10th most popular athlete in Japan? Yeah. I think that these accusations are a bit of a reach...and frankly quite rude and stereotypical.

15. Clay

Clay Active Member

It seemed Freakin' Liashenko was popular in Japan. She had her own commercial in 1998.

Malininina was also fairly popular, IIRC.

16. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Plushenko is the most popular right now definitely.

He has had a fan base in Japan since he was a little junior skater like 14years old. Actually I know there was a small tour " Meet and tour St. Petersburg with Evgeny Plushenko-kun, who is a new rising star of figure skating" planned by his fans. A friend of mine who joined the tour said that Plushy was a shy, quiet and sweet boy and didn't talk much (he didn't speak English at that time) but smiled modestly from time to time and followed them. She said that he was soooooooooooo cute.:)

Then he came to NHK in three consecutive years ( 1998-2000) and GPF(2001), he awed Japan totally and became a superstar among Japanese fans. He was really, really and really popular, that was beyond words!!

Not only fans, but he became an idol to most of Japanese skaters. Ask Japanese top skaters now, Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Hanyu, Miki, Mao. To them Plushenko is an idol and they were inspired and motivated and pushed by him with the dream that they wanted to become able to jump like him, skate like him sometime in the future.

Plushenko and Yagudin are a figureskating legend in Japan.

After the Salt Lake City Olys, I think his popularity was taken over by Yagudin a bit.

Then Plushy totally awed Japan again by his comeback for the Vancouber Olys. Because fans and even media thought that after the absense of three years, at the age of 27, after two knee surgeries, and still having an injury , the way he came back was incredible, unbelieavable and it was almost beyond human ability. Nobody else can do it, only he can do it, because he is Plushenko.

Although a lot of people and media admit that Lysacek deserved the gold and I think fs fans who visit online are aware of what he is said in NA and how he is hated,bashed and ditched in NA, but still, he became so popular in Japan again by the comeback even among casual fans. And I think after the comeback, he is most poplular in Japan right now through his career, more popular than before, because I see every time he shows up in front of the audience, he gets the hugest applause, even huger than Japanese skaters such as Dai or Mao! :eek:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

The Japanese fans seem to really like Elene Gedevanishvilli too

18. NMURA

NMURA Member

I think Yagudin is the most popular, in a sense, having virtually no critique.

19. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

Yagudin and Plush definitely.

20. kudryavka

kudryavka New Member

Evgeni Plushenko and Stephane Lambiel.

Ofc, other skaters are also popular- Weir, Verner, Kim, Yagudin. But, now, Plushenko and Lambiel have an inordinate level of popularity among Japanese figure skaitng fans. In particular, the protest in Vancouver made Plushenko a superstar in Japan.

I just read all posts here.
    What galaxy says is exactly right.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  21. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

That's absolutely ridiculous even for you. :rolleyes:

22. NMURA

NMURA Member

There are two million Koreans (pure, mixed, ex) in Japan. I guess the percentage is higher at skating events than the general society, nonetheless, they are minority.

23. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Plushenko is the most popular, his popularity increased a lot after Vancouver but he is popular in Japan since he was 14-15 years old, just like galaxy said. Second would be Lambiel.

24. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

A lot of skaters say repeatedly how awesome it is to compete in Japan because of the support and appreciation of the audience.
    And Yu-Na Kim has had even a television ad in Japan so the thought of deep hatred is :rofl:

25. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I'd say Yagudin, Plushenko, Weir, Lambiel, Joubert.

26. highrisegiraffe

highrisegiraffe Member

Jeffrey Buttle - there is a group of his Japanese fan club members who come to Canada every summer to attend the Mariposa Gala, meet with him and have an on-ice skating session with him the next day.

27. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

Things must have changed dramatically since I last attended a skating competition in Japan. I'd no idea they were carrying out surveys on the ethnicity of people attending the events. :confused:

28. miki88

miki88 New Member

Lol.

Oh, and just to note, not joining in a standing ovation does not mean you dislike the performer. Sometimes, people are just too lazy to stand up. :)

29. NMURA

NMURA Member

I've found some internet polls on "favorite figure skaters". They are very unreliable, of course. Mao Asada and Daisuke Takahashi are on the top, of course.

Male
    http://sentaku.org/sport/1000006240/

Yagudin
    Buttle
    Joubert
    Gachinski
    Lambiel
    Kulik

Female
    http://sentaku.org/sport/1000017876/

Gedevanishvili
    Nagasu
    Slutskaya
    Lepisto
    Cohen
    Leonova

As expected, Yuna Kim is unpopular (she could have more votes considering the Korean population in Japan). Chan is better than I expected.

30. Arisa

Arisa New Member

Hmmm... Interesting.

26. Yuna Kim
    60. Yu-na Kim

51. Anyone except Yuna Kim
    The Comment from 51: She's not the kind of person who deserves to be on the rink.