Which Film Should Win The Best Picture Oscar?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Maofan7, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Which Film Should Win The Best Picture Oscar?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2013.
  1. Amour

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Argo

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Beasts of the Southern Wild

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Django Unchained

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Les Misérables

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. Life of Pi

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Lincoln

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  8. Silver Linings Playbook

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Zero Dark Thirty

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I've only seen 4 of the Best Picture nominees....pretty sure Lincoln is going to win, but I don't think it's the best picture at all. Would love to see Amour or Beasts of the SOuthern Wild win, but my vote went to Zero Dark Thirty. I really liked Argo, but that ridiculous airport scene kinda killed it.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Too bad you did not feel Affleck was great as Director for Argo. Any of the nominees other than Spielberg and Lee could have been dropped to get Affleck the nomination. He was better than them. The reason you are seeing such an uproar over his omission in this category is that he is winning just about every other award for Director. We are not seeing such an uproar over Bigelow's omission, possibly because she won a Best Director Oscar very recently. I do believe the Academy was completely wrong in not nominating Affleck for Argo. You cannot make a great movie without a great director. I did not care for SLP and it wouldn't have been totally wrong if he had been dropped (actually I would have liked to see Tarrantino dropped because I hate that kind of direction based on blood).

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Tarantino wasn't nominated.

The directors who "took Affleck's spot" were Michael Haneke for Amour who won critical praise and many critical awards for his work, Behn Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild which also won praises including a big win at the Cannes Film Festival and nominated for many more, and David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook which was also critically lauded and won the audience award OVER Argo at that the Toronto Film Festival.

Your argument that a movie is nothing without its director is valid and on-point. But when people reward directing, they see many things. Is a director just a manager of all the little nuts and bolts that make a movie and does his/her best to do damage control? Is a director one who has a real point-of-view and does a great job symbolizing what that is? Is he/she an auteur who advances film to a new level in the way he/she builds up the tension, sets up the camera, paces the story, etc.? Does a director have to have an obvious style or does he/she need to lie back and let the story and actors do their job?

Also, all the directors that were nominated in place of Affleck also directed films that were nominated for Best Picture. So, why shouldn't they also have a valid claim to a nomination?

I never said that Ben Affleck was not great as a Director for Argo. I just think it was reasonable for him or anyone else to be left out or nominated because it really was a strong year.

Don't get me wrong, we all have our bias and and it gets the better of us (for me Crash vs. Brokeback) and films make us passionate. However, I do think it's a bit much when people are saying how the Broadcast Film critics (tv critics) and Hollywood Foreign Press Association (like 100 foreign "journalist" who nobody really knows but have a reputation of being star-bangers), and the DGA (a great union but it includes EVERYBODY such as second-assistant directors who aren't the creative force behind a film and Adam Sandler) making fools of the Academy just because they had a difference opinion.

People complain all the time that the Oscars were too predictable and it only follows what the other awards are doing. Now, the Academy shook it up, but people don't like it because it hurt their fave film. I personally thought Bigelow should have been in there in the place of David O. Russell and should be considered a top contender for the award. However, the Academy disagreed with me as do many people.

4. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

Why does the academy - or in reality the academy members who were entitled to nominate the best director i.e. other directors - need to ensure Spielberg gets a 3rd Oscar? I do think that he is the odds on fav especially with Affleck and Bigelow missing out on the nomination but I don't get that the academy members need to manipulate the process like this - if in fact they have.

Does anyone reckon that Argo will get the sympathy vote for Affleck to get an Oscar for best film as he has missed out on the best director nod? I think more of the general academy members may well throw a best film vote Argos way because of the lack best director nomination.

5. Vash01

You can't be serious. The Oscars have been the most political awards for several decades. Many times we have seen a deserving actor/actress or a picture not winning for reasons other than the performances. Then at a later date that actor/actress gets a consolation prize/Oscar for a lesser performance. Manipulations are not uncommon at all. Some may be due to marketing, and some are due to politics within the academy. That is why awards like the Director guild, screen actors guild, etc. are more for the actual work.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

Those latter awards are just as political (maybe even moreso since they hit closer to home). Ask Harvey Weinstein. He uses those other awards to gain traction because what he really wants is the big Oscar win. Think of those awards as the GP events and Continental championships leading up to Worlds/Olympics.

The thing is you may be convinced that the Director's Branch manipulated it so that Spielberg can win, but you really don't have any proof of that. I just think that what happened was many took for granted that Affleck would get nominated and ranked him lower, while promoting the directors for smaller films higher because they thought someone like Zeitlin and Haneke had a much more difficult time securing a nomination.

Many pundits are saying Argo is going to win Best Picture because it's the consensus pick...the movie that nobody really hates and most do really enjoy, but nobody is truly passionate about while the other films will lose because they have strong passionate supporters, but none of them have united the different factions to secure a win. Thus an Argo win. Basically, it's an ordinal system and Argo may win with the most 2nd and 3rd place votes because the others with more 1st place votes will also suffer from having 6-9 place votes as well.

In the other categories, Argo isn't the favorite to win and we can see for the first time in history a movie winning Best Picture and only Best Picture.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

OK I worded my comment wrong - what I meant to say is why would the Academy - according to your observation - seem bent on Spielberg getting a 3rd Oscar? That is what I don't undertand. If he hadn't won one I could undertand the manipulation - but he has 2 already!!

8. VIETgrlTerifa

BAFTA (British Oscars) are going on right now.

Skyfall just beat Les Miserables for Best British Film.

9. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Yes, Argo is now the bookies favourite. Would still like Les Misérables to win though

10. Vash01

I have no idea. I cannot read their minds, just like in other cases (e.g. why they waited for 20+ years to allow Mery Streep win her third Oscar, or why they wanted Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts to win an Oscar).

11. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with that decision. Skyfall was a very good film and surpassed the usual trappings of the Bond genre. Les Miserables in my opinion was horribly directed and melodramatic.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

^ I do too. BAFTA loved Skyfall. They gave it a lot of nominations plus it just beat out superior scores (such as Life of Pi) for Best Score. Although, it did lose Best Cinematography (which was GORGEOUS) to Life of Pi (which was even better).

Argo just lost Best Adapted Screenplay to Silver Linings Playbook (in a huge shocker). Many assumed it was between Argo and Lincoln. If Argo doesn't win Best Picture/Director, then this may be the turning point since this is the award show that can direct the Academy on how to vote since the Academy just sent out their ballots to members two days ago. Never underestimate Harvey Weinstein who is also behind Django Unchained which just won Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor.

13. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Voted for Beasts of the Southern Wild, as it's the only one of those films I really want to see. :p

14. VIETgrlTerifa

I spoke too soon. Ben Affleck just won Best Director, haha.

^ Sofia Alexandra, you won't be sorry. Beasts of the Southern Wild is truly a gem of a film. The director also wrote the screenplay and the musical score.

ETA:

Heck yeah! Emmanuelle Riva just won Best Actress at BAFTA. She's my first choice with Jessica Chastain second. I was worried with the Silver Linings Playbook win for Screenplay.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't believe that "Les Mis" got even nominated. :rolleyes:

Well I can believe it since Oscars are all about the $$$ but still...

16. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Argo won Best Picture and Best Director at tonight's BAFTA's. Confirms it as the front runner for the Oscars

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks like that. It still is hard for me to believe that a film will win Best Picture without a Best Director nomination (which I definitely think it deserved), but the precursors all seem to be pointing in that direction.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

I hope it doesn't win four awards like it did at the BAFTAs. So much for the Brits having better taste, eh. ;)

We have to deal with the fact that it'll win at least one with Anne Hathaway.

19. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

The three other BAFTAs Les Mis won were for production design, make-up/hair and sound. Don't know about the sound since it hasn't premiered here yet, but from the clips the production design and make-up look magnificient. :respec:

Plus in her BAFTA acceptance speech one of the production designers said "I had never seen a crew of a hundred carpenters sing I dreamed a dream with their hairy arses hanging out", so extra points for that bit of contribution to the history of cinema. ;)

20. Lorac

Lorac Well-Known Member

I really believe that Argo will win Best Picture at the Oscars and one reason I believe is that Ben didn't get the Best Director nomination. If he had (rightly IMHO) gotten the nod there then I think the winner would be more difficult to pick but there seems to be a wave of support building for him at the moment to get some recognition for the work he did on that movie from the Academy. It would be interesting to see the nomination ballots (and I know we never will) to see how much he missed out on getting a nomination nod - some serious politicing from other parties really worked for their candidate(s) this time.

21. Vash01

I am not so sure that Argo will win the best picture Oscar, although I would like it to. At least all the uncertainty and drama make the Oscars more interesting this year. I remember how bored I was during the Oscar night when LOTR III was winning in every category. Even the King's speech was a heavy favorite, although I would have been happy with either that or the Social network. This year there are many worthy pictures. The only BP winner that would upset me a bit is Silver linings playbook. That movie has marketing/politicking written all over it. Les Mis is really not that good a movie, but I enjoyed parts of it very much. It could actually win, if the political movies split the votes. I won't be unhappy if Zero Dark Thirty won the BP, but that one is the least likely to win.

22. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

23. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I've only seen Argo so I suppose I'll go with that. :shuffle:

24. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I finally watched Argo and enjoyed it, but as a Canadian, I have HUGE problems with the historical inaccuracies in that film. Both Ken Taylor and Jimmy Carter have spoken out about the liberties Affleck took with history to turn it into a Hollywood movie. Ken Taylor in particular was initially very upset with how the Canadian role was diminished in the film. Affleck actually changed the original postscript text to make it more accurate to help smooth things over.
    I enjoyed it for what it was - a good movie - but I can't get past the altering of the story.

25. Vash01

This is a movie, not a documentary. It means the story can be changed to create drama. It's nowhere as distant from the truth as the Social Network was.