Which Film Should Win The Best Picture Oscar?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Maofan7, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Which Film Should Win The Best Picture Oscar?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2013.
  1. Amour

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Argo

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Beasts of the Southern Wild

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Django Unchained

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Les Misérables

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. Life of Pi

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  7. Lincoln

12 vote(s)
    14.6%
  8. Silver Linings Playbook

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Zero Dark Thirty

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Which film would you give the best picture Oscar to (as opposed to what you think will win) in terms of the 9 films that have been nominated?

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I have not yet seen Les Mis, I plan to in the next week or two. I also haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty and don't plan on seeing it on the big screen; I'll watch it on DVD when it comes out though.

The race as I see it is really 3 movies: Pi, Lincoln, and Beasts. Les Mis, Argo, and Zero are out of the race IMO just because their directors weren't nominated. (Doesn't mean the same film will win in both categories, but without even being nominated, no go. Fair? No. But reality methinks.) Amour I think will win best Foreign picture, not best film. Silver Linings ... enjoyable movie but not best of the year by any stretch.

So from those 3: I loved Beasts, but I don't see it as "best picture" (tho I'd be a pretty happy puppy if Zeitlin won for director). Lincoln was pretty great, but aside from the amazingness of DDL it's by-the-book biopic stuff, nothing original. Not that a movie has to be "original" to be best picture, but since this year we have one that is ...

So ... my vote goes to Life of Pi. It's everything that an Oscar-winning best picture should be. Visually stunning. Superbly written and with stellar acting. Thought-provoking and original. Something you can talk about for days afterward. And it has a tiger for frack's sake! :D

Do I think it will win? Probably not. But that wasn't the question.

3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Where's the "other" option? :D

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I vote for Argo. :cheer2:

5. Artemis@BC

LOL!

Ok, so what would your "other" be then?

6. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I've not seen all of them but I have seen Django Unchained, Les Mis, Zero Dark Thirty, and Lincoln. Out of those I'd vote for Django Unchained. Not a perfect movie by any means and does fall apart at the end but the first part of the movie is strong and the dialogue is great. Lincoln was well done, but became slow for me. I thought Zero Dark Thirty was mostly intense, but dragged a bit as well. However, I think Django, ZDT, and Lincoln would be fine winners. I thought Les Mis was horrible and did not deserve a Best Picture nomination to say the least.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  7. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

"Skyfall" "Looper" "Avengers" or "Ted". :lol:

"Magic Mike" if Channing Tatum, Alex Pettyfer, Matthew Bomer, Joe Manganiello, Matthew McConaughey do a stage show. :grope:

8. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I would've voted for Argo before I saw it. Meh ...

Skyfall definitely should've gotten a nod. Fantastic movie.

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I have seen Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Argo, Les Mis, Life of Pi, Silver linings playbook (I plan to see 'Django unchained' and 'Beasts of...')

At first I thought Lincoln was the best film of the year. Then I saw Argo and I had to change my mind. I thought Les Mis dragged a lot, and Silver linings did not really impress me as much as it has others (although I enjoyed watching it).

I voted for Argo. It had some minor flaws, based on what my Iranian coworker told me (e.g. children working to put the shredded paper together was not true- adults did it; they said the Iranian phrase for 'goodbye' when they said 'hello'- something like that; I don't remember the exact words), but that did not detract from the story. It had suspense, excitement, acting, and great direction. In addition Argo gets my sympathy vote because Ben Afflec did not get the best director nomination. That was really unfair.

I thought Zero Dark Thirty was a very well made film, but my expectations were sky high when I went in, so it came slightly lower than my expectations. Cathryn Bigelow definitely deserved the BD nom also.

After I see the other two movies I mentioned, I doubt that it will change my vote. I don't care for Tarrantino at all. In the other movie, my only interest is in the 9 year old actress whose name I cannot pronounce. :)

My biggest disappointment this year- Skyfall did not get nominated for Best Picture.

10. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

I went for Les Mis. I think its gradually doing what The Kings Speech did a couple of years ago and is making a late charge.

11. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I also voted for Les Miz... It was so grand in some places and so personal in others... It seemed like a Herculean challenge to bring to the big screen, and I thought it was VERY well done. I dont cry at movies, and I had tears in my eyes in several places, and was nearly a bawling fool at the end. All that said, I actually expect Argo to win. That was also really well done, and as many others have said, even though you knew how it ended, I was on the edge of my seat. I totally remember all that "Merci Canada" hoopla in the early 80's! I still have to see Lincoln and Life of Pi, tho.

Agree that Ben being left off the director list was unfair. Some have joke it's related to that one exchange in the film between him and Alan Arkin: Alan: "can you teach him to be a director", Ben: "I can teach a monkey to be a director in 5 minutes", or something like that. LOL!

12. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I really liked Argo, moreso than Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln.

Les Mis was okay, but I didn't think Amanda Seyfried was a good fit for Cosette, and Russell Crowe's voice was not right for Javert. Just my opinion though.

I'm not a big fan of Tarantino, so I'm not interested in seeing Django Unchained. I do still want to see Silver Linings Playbook and Life of Pi.

13. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I clipped that part of the previous post, mostly because I wanted to ask about the kids putting the shredding together (in Argo). At the end of the movie, during the credits, didnt they show a photo from the time, of the kids pasting the strips, right next to a still from the movie? Maybe they only showed period pic of the strips themselves?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Amour is my favorite film that was nominated. I liked Killing Me Softly better than most if not all of the nominees.

15. Vash01

I will ask my coworker from Iran again. She has seen the movie, but she may not remember those last stills from the movie.

16. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I voted for Argo - I absolutely loved how it wove together actual footage from history within the fabric of the movie, and how much detail and attention they paid to recreating the time and setting of the events.

I felt that it seemed so earnest whereas Lincoln, although superbly cast and acted, was directed and written with so much grandstanding I had to roll my eyes at some monologues where they might as well have flashed "NOMINATE US!" on the screen.

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I think that Lincoln will win, but I wish Les Mis could. Loved both of them, but Les Mis was in a class by itself.

18. Artemis@BC

Ok, finally saw Les Mis last night. And, while I enjoyed it very much, and it definitely deserves to be in the top 10 list for the year ... I still don't think it's the best picture of the year. When it's a film that's adapted from another source, the film should be better to qualify as Best Picture, IMO. And Les Mis on film simply isn't as good as the stage version. Unlike Life of Pi, which was better than the book. (In my not-so-humble opinion.) Plus Life of Pi had me completely engaged and immersed from beginning to end, whereas I found myself distracted and picking nits in various places in Les Mis.

So. If Argo can buck the trend and win best picture despite the director not being nominated ... Argo should win. (Plus it has the advantage that I actually think it could win, unlike Pi which I'm fairly certain won't.) But if it goes according to norm, I think Lincoln and Spielberg will win (even tho they shouldn't).

19. Vash01

I would like to see Argo win, like the majority here, but every day I become more convinced that Lincoln is going to win the best picture.

20. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

The momentum is with "Argo" after winning the Golden Globe, PGA, and Screen Actors Guild ensemble award. If Ben Affleck wins the DGA tonight, and "Argo" wins Best Picture at the BAFTAs the race is over.

Should win? My vote would be "Life of Pi," the only movie which haunted my imagination weeks after seeing the movie.

21. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Hated Beasts of the Southern Wild, Silver Linings Playbook was okay, not Oscar worthy, Argo the same. Liked Lincoln quite a bit and loved Life of Pi. So that's where my vote goes. Have to confess I haven't seen the others. Also liked Skyfall.

22. Vash01

I saw a part of Piers Morgan tonight (may have been a rerun), with Jennifer Lawrence and the director of Silver linings (David Russell). She is pretty awesome. I still would prefer Jessica win the Oscar, but Jennifer has a fantastic movie career ahead of her, regardless of what happens at the Oscars this time.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Affleck won the DGA Award tonight. Typically, the DGA predicts Best Director, so...that'll be interesting.

24. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Fascinating. These Oscars should be interesting because some of the big awards are really not predictable. Best Supporting Actor, the battle of the two J's for Best Actress, and who the heck will win Best Picture?! I still contend that it won't be Argo because the Academy seemed determined to bury it, but who knows. Backlash is a powerful thing. And I wonder how the winner of Best Director will feel knowing they won th Oscar but NOTHING else? Lol! Drama abounds!

Anyway, it makes Affleck's snub so much more bizarre. I'm sure it's hard for him to feel bad with his armful of prestigious awards, but there's still a huge "what if" that has got to bother him. A Best Pcture win would go a ways to fixing that but still, it ain't the same!

25. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

I wonder how embarrassed the Academy are now for shunning Affleck? Me thinks Argo will win best picture.

26. screech

screech Well-Known Member

This is what confuses me a bit, because movie directors are the ones who nominate the directors for the Oscars (you can only give your nomination picks for the category you work in, but then every member can vote for the winner of every category). Obviously the directors like Ben, since he won the DGA, so it's very confusing.

I haven't seen Argo, but if it wens, Ben does get an Oscar (as a producer) so it would be a sort of consolation prize for him, since he really wanted that Oscar for directing. And I think he will get that reward.

27. Vash01

Shame on the academy for not recognizing the excellence of Affleck as Director. I am wondering if they wanted to make sure that Spielberg will get his third Oscar by not nominating Affleck and Bigelow? They were his main competition. I am not saying Spielberg is not deserving of the honor, but this award should have an asterisk (*) against it.

28. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I doubt "Argo" would win only the Best Picture trophy; if/when it wins, it will likely be like "Crash" several years ago and take the top prize, perhaps screenplay, and a very good shot at editing. Affleck, as someone else mentioned, is one of the producers. So if it wins Best Picture, he won't go home empty handed despite not being nominated for director.

There are a lot more DGA members than directors who are members of the Academy. DGA includes TV (including commercial) directors. Of the 14 branches of the Academy, the Directors branch is much smaller than the actors, writers and producers branches.

It's also possible that when then Academy members voted, they assumed Affleck would get a nod and individuals pushed up a less likely director (Russell, Haneke, and Zeitlen) they hoped to see get a nomination. Even if they voted for Affleck on their ballot as a fourth or fifth choice, with the weighted ballot it may have been too little-too late.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Then which nominee would you personally kick out of the Best Director category and thus not giving them any deserved recognition as well?

I'm getting tired for the Poor Affleck story because he's anything but "poor." I think what got lost is that this past year was simply a strong year for movies and reasonable minds differ on who should be in and should be out.

If the Best Director winner at the Oscars is going to have an asterisk on it, then will every winner who upsets the favorite (that has won most of the precursors by a wide margin) not be deemed a "proper" winner? What about all the wins Affleck has? If we're going to argue that the Oscars lost credibility for not nominating him, then one can argue that him being snubbed by the Director's Branch (but not by the entire Academy as Argo was nominated for a generous amount of awards) helped him win those awards as they wanted to give him a consolation prize a la Spielberg for The Color Purple and Ron Howard for Apollo 13.

I think I'm just annoyed because I watched all the movies and it's a shame that people are sort of dismissing the nominees who did get in all for the Affleck story (and ignoring Bigelow in the process). I know the Globes, Broadcast Critics, DGA gave Affleck best Director, but does that mean the Academy is truly wrong in maybe placing him 6th or lower and instead nominating the Haneke for Amour or Behn Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild? Although I hated SLP, enough people like it enough to explain how David O. Russell got in and are they wrong for nominating him just because I personally didn't care for his work in SLP?

30. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

There was similar uproar when Chris Nolan didn't get noms for BP or BD for The Dark Knight despite being nominated for all the guild awards. (It was a big reason why the Academy switched up the BP voting.) So this is not the first time it's happened, although Nolan did not win the DGA that year and make the Academy look especially stupid. :lol: