Which figure skating records will withstand the test of time?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Apr 16, 2014.

1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Like I said a poll done on this forum indicates most posters on this forum anyway believe Yu Na is more decorated than Michelle. Carol Heiss meanwhile is obviously more decorated than Yu Na, something even a Yu Na uber I wouldnt even try to deny. The same 2 Olympic medals, and 3 more world titles. So add it all up and how could Kwan possibly be more decorated than Heiss. Is winning Olympic silver and bronze vs Olympic gold and silver, and 5 world titles spread over 9 years vs 5 in a row, and winning only 1 time at another major invent of your time (which wasnt around in Heiss's but given her total dominance we can safely assume another 5 titles minimum at) and never skating at another, is more decorated all because you won your own Nationals a few more times. :lol:

I didnt say Heiss is the best U.S skater ever. There are some who probably wouldnt even put her top 10. The best resume though, easily. Kwan would trade her career for Heiss's in a heartbeat, but not her legacy of course.

2. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

What are you talking about with depth of the mens field. The mens field from 2010 to now has been the worst in history. Chan winning all those titles with so many falls speaks to that, as well as the travesty of Evan Lysacek becoming a world and Olympic Champion. If it continues like that, Hanyu not winning if he doesnt wont have anything to do with depth.

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

There is clearly a great depth of talent in the international men's field, despite how poorly some of the top men performed at the recent Olympics. There are more great young talented male skaters coming up from the junior ranks as well.

The fact the judges favored Chan when he made a lot of mistakes is another story altogether. One that has been debated endlessly, and unfortunately hasn't done Chan or the men's field any favors in the short or long term. But then, neither does the quad do the men's discipline any favors ultimately. If the judges love of quad and of Hanyu continues, Hanyu may in fact become heir in more ways than one to Patrick Chan. ;)

As far as your understanding and ways of perceiving the meaning of "most decorated," in regard to Carol Heiss and Michelle Kwan, so be it. Also the designation of "most decorated" for Kwan is being described vs all other U.S. skaters. Of course polls re Yu Na vs MK are certainly very popular and endlessly varied.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I don't know why people keep bringing up skaters who did something first. No one can ever beat a person who was first. First means first. This is about records that can be broken and whether they will stand the test of time.

5. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Didn't Liashenko go to five Olympics or is my brain playing games on me? How about Peggy Schwartz? Granny?

ETA Sorry, I was indeed suffering from early Alzheimer's. Granny and Freakin both went four times, Peggy three. Still, quite good achievements though, as single/pairs skaters. Peggy even had a baby in between:)

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I have some that havent been mentioned yet:

-Nobody will win 2 or more world titles in both pairs and singles as the great and almost forgotten Herma Plack Szabo did.
    -Nobody will ever come 2nd in the mens World Championships, even if women are one day allowed to take part again, as the great Madge Syers did.
    -No skater will probably end up with 4 Olympic medals, but less than 4 world medals as Gillis Grafstrom did.
    -No skater will ever win the Olympic gold despite no judge placing them 1st as Magda Julin did.

7. Enero

Enero Member

Don't know if anyone mentioned Tara, but I think she was the youngest female to do everything - National, World and Olympic titles. Due to the age rules implemented in 1996 (?) I don't think anyone will break her records (specifically her Worlds record).

8. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

The age rule would have to be lowered for anyone to have a chance at equalling or surpassing Lipinski's records.

So will Canada's Barbara Ann Scott.

9. judgejudy27

Oh they could be broken. Had Julia been a week younger and skated well in the individual event she would have already broken it. The slightly altered age rules are now such someone can break her Olympics record anyway. The worlds record not as the rules are now, but those will probably change at some point.

10. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

(Not important records, but astonishing records.)

Yuna's records that all international Jr&Sr wins(23) '+' all WR(11) were achieved in not-home competitions would be difficult to be duplicated.

11. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Makes me happy that Navka's FD score was technically never broken :biggrinbo

12. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

D/W were so overscored in the Olympics :yikes: I hope no skater is overscored like that again.

13. judgejudy27

I think we will see some future skaters at 5 Olympics. Not many of course, but there will be others. There is no pro circuit practically these days, so there isnt incentive for skaters without something else to do (which covers many skaters) to go professional.