Which figure skating records will withstand the test of time?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Xela M, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Xela M

Xela M Active Member

It appears as though Rodnina's competitive record will never be matched, let alone beaten, but which other figure skating records will stand the test of time?

Will Grishuk & Platov's 22 consecutive competitive wins ever be matched by another team? Will another team win Olympic ice dance Gold twice? Virtue & Moir came close, but didn't win. Will another team try?

Will there ever be a younger Olympic winning ice dance team than Virtue and Moir?

Will anyone else aside from Rodnina and Artur Dmitriev win two Olympics with different partners?

Can a lady win 3 Olympic Gold medals?

I guess we will never see anything like T&D's perfect 6.0's with IJS.

List your unbeatable figure skating records :D

2. annabrown

annabrown Member

You will never see a lady win 3 Olympic gold medals again, ever ever. If Kim had won in Vancouver I would say maybe she could do it, but now that she didnt not a chance. Atleast it will take thousands of years before it happens.

G&P's win streak could happen. Dance judging is still very stringent and biased to whoever is on top. Had D&W or V&M been there without the other, the other would have already done that. There also isnt much depth in dance anymore, so any truly great team could go on a run like that easily.

3. tortellini

tortellini Member

had VM not been injured, they would've beaten or matched GP's records

4. annabrown

annabrown Member

It is possible but there were some heavy politics behind Davis & White these last 2 seasons so maybe not even then.

5. tortellini

tortellini Member

true perhaps even stemming from when they first beat VM. dw only started beating VM when VM got injured im sure had VM not been injured they would've beat DW in GPF '09, 4CC '09, perhaps had a better standing at worlds '09 since they were already silver medalists and probably would've been unbeatable during the 2009-2010, 2010-2011 season. in short, had they not been injured, it would have been harder to politick (sp?)against them

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

I agree with that. D&W gained momentum from starting to beat V&M, alot of which stemmed from V&M's injuries. The judges started thinking of them as unbeatable and the best team, even when they werent, even when V&M werent injured and were skating well. This wouldnt have happened otherwise.

7. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Kim came close to gold in Vancouver, though... :p

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Drobiazko/Vanagas took part in five consecutive Olympic Games: '92, '94, '98, '02, '06. Has anyone else? I think it may be repeated if a skater/team starts young, but it will barely be beaten, as there won't ever be a two-year-only-gap between two Olys like '92/'94 again.

9. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Tessa and Scott's youngest ever ice dance Olys gold, first ever Canadians and North Americans to win Olys gold.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan's record 35 perfect 6.0 scores will never be beaten. :) Maribel V. Owen's record 10 U.S. National ladies championships will likely never be broken, although Michelle almost tied if I recall correctly.

11. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Michelle Kwan-9 time US champion including 8 wins in a row. It tied Maribel Vinson's record IIRC but no one is likely to come close in the modern era. It's looking harder and harder for anyone to match Dick Button's 2 OGMs, but Hanyu has a shot. But it probably won't ever be beaten.

12. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

If he could ever muster the motivation to go for it if he wins his 2nd in 2018, I could see Hanyu winning a 3rd in a row in 2022. I believe he has the youth, athletic ability, work ethic, and body type to win an OGM at 27 if he wanted to go for it. I believe he is more likely to go for it than Kim Yu Na would have been, as she was adament she did not want to skate in 2018 even if she had won in 2014.

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Dick Button will always be the last non-European to win the European Championship.

Tara will always be the youngest OGM.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I could see the first possibly being beaten, but it's highly unlikely, considering that competitors in dance are generally older than those in singles.

15. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Julia Lip is the youngest Olympic figure skating champion. Tara is the youngest individual Olympic figure skating champion. And I think Kim Yun-mi is the youngest Olympic champion. I think. It's confusifying. :eek:

16. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I'm thinking all the firsts will continue to be the firsts :p ... although I know a few equations that may indicate otherwise :D

17. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl:

18. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Michelle Kwan will most likely still remain the most decorated US skater in history; same with Yuna Kim for S. Korea.

Inoue/Baldwin of the US will always be the first team to cleanly land the throw 3Axel in international competition at the 2006 Olympics.

Vise/Trent of the US will always be the first team to cleanly land the throw 4Salchow in international competition at the 2007 Trophee Eric Bompard.

Brandon Mroz of the US will always be the first man to cleanly land a 4Lutz in sanctioned competition at the 2011 Colorado Springs Invitational.

It will be interesting to see if Jeremy Abbott's records of the highest SP, LP, and overall score record totals (SP - 99.86 (2014 U.S. Championships), FS - 183.35 (2012 U.S. Championships), & Final Score - 274.27 (2014 U.S. Championships)) will remain the best for US men at Nationals.

Klimova/Ponomarenko of Russia will always be the first ice dance team to win every color medal at an Olympics ('84 bronze, '88 silver, & '92 gold).

Grishuk/Platov of Russia will always be the first ice dance team in history to win consecutive Olympic gold medals ('94 & '98).

Andrée Joly Brunet & Pierre Brunet of France will always be the first pairs team in history to win consecutive Olympic gold medals ('28 & '32).

Gillis Grafström of Sweden will always be the first man in history to win consecutive Olympic gold medals ('20, '24, & '28).

Sonja Henie of Norway will always be the first lady in history to win consecutive Olympic gold medals ('28, '32, & '36).

Gillis Grafström of Sweden will always be the first skater in any discipline to achieve the record of most Olympic medals won (4 total - 3 golds & 1 silver).

Midori Ito of Japan will always be the first woman to land a triple/triple jump combination and a triple axel in competition. At the 1988 Calgary Olympics, she became the first woman to land seven triple jumps in a free program.

Evgeni Plushenko of Russia became the first skater to perform a 4T–3T–2Lo combination in competition at the 1999 NHK Trophy. Plushenko is also the first to land a 4T–3T–3Lo combination in competition at the 2002 Cup of Russia. He is also the first skater to complete the 3A-3F combination in competition.

19. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

Kwan isnt really the most decorated skater in U.S history. Carol Heiss has 5 striaght world titles, and an Olympic gold and Olympic silver. Atleast for my money that is a better set of achievements than Michelle and thus a more decorated skater.

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Kwan has 9 US titles though, which completely shuns Heiss's 4 titles. I'm looking at the overall picture, both domestically and internationally.

21. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

To each their own but I am sure Kwan or anyone would take an Olympic gold and silver vs only silver and bronze before 5 extra U.S titles. I am sure Heiss could have easily won 9 or more if she wanted to just keep competing at U.S Nationals and not bother with worlds or Olympic anymore, but who would ever bother at that point. Not to mention 5 world titles in a row, as opposed to spread out over almost a decade and only defending the title once. I am not saying Heiss is a better skater or greater champion than Kwan, and I dont think she is even as impactful as Hamill, Fleming, Yamaguchi, or Lynn either but by any objective measure i find her easily the most "decorated" and dominant U.S skater.

22. elif

elif Active Member

Actually Davis/White came very close to do that in Olympics.

9.71-9.75-9.93-10.00-10.00

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If 6.0 was around Davis & White probably would have been given 18 perfect 6.0s. Which is why I am glad it wasnt around, as I dont think the performances would have merited that. I mean head to head against T&D 30 years earlier it is easy to watch and say D&W should win, but for their own time what they did was nowhere near as revolutionary, perfect, or ahead of their time as T&D 30 years ago. There are some who even still question if they were really better than V&M for instance. Plus I find a stocked quality to their dancing, I dont find them true innovators or trend setters but more like winning machines, but maybe that is just me.

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get that either. Of course if a record is "first to do something" then that record won't be broken - that goes without saying. I don't find the youngest/oldest records all that interesting, either.

- I don't see anyone matching Rodnina's records.
    - I don't see another US lady doing what Kwan did.
    - Unless Carolina Kostner decides to extend her career, I think ten consecutive European medals (first achieved by Karl Schäfer, later matched by Brian Joubert) is not something we'll see again, at least not for a long time. Especially in men's skating, with the technical standard being so high that ten years at the top level seems a monumentally difficult task.
    - I doubt that another skater will be able to replicate Yuna Kim's career record of nothing but podium finishes.
    - Nobody will ever do as many triple toes in a program as Elaine Zayak :p
    - Maybe Aliona Savchenko can join Drobiazko/Vanagas in the five Olympics club. If not, I think they'll remain the only members.

IJS points records are kind of meant to be broken, and since the ISU is still tinkering with the scoring, I'm not even sure how meaningful those will be over time. Technically, the highest FD score ever is not D/W's but N/K's.

25. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I think the U.S will have another dominant skater ala Fleming, Heiss, Yamaguchi, Kwan, at some point. It might not happen as frequently but it will happen again in our lifetime, mark my words.

26. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Not to diminish Heiss' record, which is impressive, but she isn't even second in US titles. Janet Lynn won 5 in a row. Overall, Michelle is the most decorated because there were so many more competitions in her era (and because she won so many US titles as well).

27. aftershocks

Possible of course, but I think highly unlikely. There is simply too much depth and talent in the men's ranks , not to mention the bodily rigors associated with those quads. Hanyu should simply concentrate on continuing to improve his consistency and performance skills as well as maintain his health. If he does that and he also continues to find favour with the judges, he will certainly have a shot.

28. aftershocks

Perceptions are one thing, while stats in the record book are what they are, regardless of any of our value perceptions. Michelle Kwan is the most decorated U.S. skater in history, an indisputable fact.

29. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

As the Kim vs Kwan career poll indicates most believe Yu Na Kim to be more "decorated" than Michelle (I presume that is what most take a career poll to be about, not subjective opinions on better skater). Well if Yu Na is more decorated than Michelle just based on her superior Olympic record, than Carol Heiss who has the exact same two Olympic medals as Kim, and 3 more world titles, and was far more dominant at worlds than Michelle even with the same # of titles, is sure as heck more decorated than both Yu Na and Michelle.

I agree Heiss is clearly the most "decorated" American skater ever, and it isnt even close. National titles is not what determines most decorated. If it were so Dominique Dawes would be the most decorated U.S gymnast ever, and not Shannon Miller, with her 20 or so U.S titles.

30. aftershocks

:lol: Then, your understanding of the definition of "most decorated" differs from the one recognized and understood by people in the sport who first used the phrasing to describe how Michelle Kwan has surpassed all other U.S. skaters in the total number of medals won domestically and internationally throughout her skating career.