Which Figure Skaters Was Best At Putting their 'Haters' In Their Place?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Bring Back The 6.0 System

Brilliant post Nationals interview by Plushenko:-

Here were some of his comments:-

“I would like to thank all of my friends and fans who supported me today.....Many of them attended the competition today. I would also like to thank all of my enemies. Many of them also attended the competition today. Without their constant criticism, with only praises from fans, one would never achieve anything.”

He seems to be saying that he finds inspiration and motivation in what he refers to as the "constant criticism". An interesting way of dealing with it.

There are many and varied ways of dealing with ones critics. So which skater dealt with it best?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Elite skaters and generally too media savvy to tell their arm-chair critics to "SUCK IT!" :lol:

3. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I think the best way skaters do it is by winning...a lot. :)

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Go ask Johnny... :)

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

This 'enemy's' word makes me laugh every time since bout 2006. Is it just lost in translation or does he really know what he is saying? lol

6. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Plushenko does not speak very good English in particular his vocabulary is quite basic. I think he simply does not know the words adversary or opponent. He alwaya calls his rivals "enemies". But on the other hand maybe he feels like he's always in a war....

7. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Yu-Na Kim and Mao Asada.

8. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I think by "enemies" Plushenko means his critics. And he is right: if you ignore criticism, you don't improve.

9. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Well, kind of.

I used to be in a position where I was publicly evaluated, with comments.

I found that the best strategy for me to make sense of all that input was the following: I took most seriously the criticism of people who in general had given me good marks. Those marked my most serious deficiencies.

I also took extremely seriously the good marks of people who in general gave me poorer marks. Those marked my greatest strengths.

After that I looked at all the other marks and comments.

10. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Philippe Candeloro certainly never let criticism bother him. When he was criticized for taking off his shirt, he took off his pants.

Seriously though, self-awareness is important to filtering criticism. Philippe knew that his spontaneity and skating with abandon were his keys to success. He was never going to compete successfully as a refined skater. It wasn't him either mentally or technically, so he just laughed the criticism off.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Apart from Plushenko, I don't recall any skater speaking (or even paying much attention to) their critics, apart from skating officials. Oh, I guess Yagudin also did have things to say about Mishin and Plushy, but most skaters don't say much more than to defend their chosen skating style.
    I thought he was saying that he had taken some valid points from them in terms of things he needed to work on and improve. He is right. Folks who are surrounded only by yes-men come don't get the input they need to improve.

12. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan by just showing up and doing her thing until she couldn't any longer.

13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

:rofl: