Which current US Ladies can do 3axel?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 17, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

And no, Kimmie Meissner doesn't count as being able to do one anymore based on something she did 5 years ago. ;) Unless she's been seen doing it in practice recently...

I think any US lady that can land a clean 3axel and get a pretty good score at a summer comp should definitely get the Skate America spot...we'll see if it happens!

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

wasnt Bulanhagui doing one? not sure how fully rotated it was

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The one Meissner has done ages ago was definitely over 1/4 cheated.

Wasn't Flatt working on it? (I guess everyone is working on it ;))

pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Mirai trying one in practice a couple of years ago?

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Nagasu has done it in the past. There's a YouTube video of her doing one...good attempt, though it was UR. Czisny worked on them during the 2005-06 season too.

Zawadzki is practicing them now too, and I actually think she *may* be successful, as her 2A is pretty huge/easy looking.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

How about we open this discussion to "which current Ladies skater can do the 3Axel?"

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I read in an interview that she stopped training them because it wasn't worth the risk.

Oh, how nice! Agnes is such a talented skater and I hope she lands one someday!

8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Unless there is someone who is totally off the radar landing them me thinks the answer to that question is "none of them."

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Melissa Bulanhagui has gone for the 3A at the Liberty Summer Competition for the past two years. She attempted a 3A+2T combination in her Senior SP last year (rotation looked pretty good in real time) but the Axel was downgraded. Her solo 3A attempt was downgraded in her Junior qualifying FS in 2008. AFAIK, she hasn't tried it in other competitions (such as Nationals).

10. VIETgrlTerifa

Well, there's Mao Asada. Despite UR or pre-rotation problems fans talk about, she has her's ratified on a pretty consistent basis.

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

12. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Wowza :eek: , that was pretty darn good :respec:. I've decided I like this Melissa girl. With the new rule on downgrades she should continue to attempt the jump, that 3a def did not look more than 1/2 turn cheated.

13. pinky166

Oh and she isn't american but Liza Tuktamysheva does 3a, she reportedly landed one cleanly in the warmup at the last Russian Cup event this season, though she popped the jump in her actual program. I know she's 13 and itty bitty, but this girl is scary good.

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Pretty good. The combo was successful, if not ratifiable.

Here body type is one that would not suggest that she can do a beillmann position, but she does.

Her spins are fast.

She skates with a lot of speed.

I am very impressed.

15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Mao's not a US lady.

16. VIETgrlTerifa

Which is why I said maybe we should just open it up to any lady who can do the 3Axel. You quoted me, so I was assuming your post was an answer to that statement.

17. key65man

key65man New Member

Unlike Mirai, Rachael may be able to pull off a 3A similar to Mao's because I think she is capable of handling pre-rotation a little better. Keeping it as small as possible by means of pre-rotation can help landing while under-rotating, as well. Rachael, I think, should be more motivated about it as it is a game changer for her. A bit better conditioning may be necessary, though.

I know how it sounds. Albeit speaking only theoretically at this point....

18. pinky166

You may be right. Rachael also rotates incredibly fast, which may also help.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think Flatt is capable of that, I know she's been working on it.

I would also put my money on Zawadzki getting it eventually.

20. *Kim*

*Kim* New Member

they really need a 3 A? I wish the US ladies put some more effort on creating more unique coreography and finding some more cool music and costumes, they are so zzzzz nowdays.

21. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

This also, but both! I think a coaching team of Alexei Mishin, Tonya Harding, and Sonya Tayeh would do the trick! :p:swoon:

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

When is this talk of pre-rotation going to end?!?!?!? That "pre-rotation" is a necessary part of jump mechanics and without it, skaters are unable to get the snap and angular momentum to do these multi-rotational jumps.

23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Meissner was trying to do triple axels all the time but then at the 2006 Olympics she did not even try one because why do something so risky under the COP system. The thing about COP is do what you can do the best you can not go for something very risky that you can't trust.

24. key65man

key65man New Member

The issue about pre-rotation is not about the necessity of it but about the degree of it. Do you consider, for instance, the pre-rotation of 180 degree a necessary part of jump mechanics?

At any rate, I was not even arguing about proper pre-rotation in this thread.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

I think it happens when one compares the 3Axels of Midori Ito and Tonya Harding to that of Kimmie Meissner circa 2006 and Mao Asada. I love Mao and her 3As, but there is a difference in quality there.