Which Canadian man do you want to get the 3rd Olympic spot?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Dec 24, 2013.

Which Canadian man do you want to get the 3rd Olympic spot?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2014.
  1. Elladj Balde

39 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Liam Firus

19 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Nam Nguyen

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Andrei Rogozine

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Jeremy Ten

49 vote(s)
    40.5%
  6. Other (name him please)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Pick 1 option!

ETA:
    Roman Sadovsky and Mitchell Gordon are the other 2 competing Senior at Canadians that have attained the required TES minimums for Olympics/4CC.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Tough, tough. Hearts will be broken and so will mine. :( Maybe, based on pure sentiments, Jeremy Ten because this is likely to be his last fight to be a Olympian competitor. He is lovely to watch but again injuries set him back.

I wish all of them to skate well .... and let the judges decide. I am glad I don't have to make this excruciating decision. :D

3. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Liam Firus for sure. His musicality and skating skills are to die for, and coupled with fantastic jumps. Definitely a skater on the rise, and for the future.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Jeremy Ten

5. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Voted for Jeremy. He has very nice basics and is more polished than any of the men on the list.:)

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Rogozine was world jr champ!

7. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Is this assuming Reynolds has a lock on the 2nd spot?

8. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

I would actually prefer Liam and Jeremy 2nd and 3rd.. ;)

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

^^This.

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes Yes Yes !
    Liam Firus !

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Exactly. We haven't seen him yet this season, so there's no way to know what kind of shape he's in. I voted Jeremy Ten for the 3rd spot, but would happily bump him up to 2nd and give the 3rd spot to Liam Firus if Kevin isn't ready to go.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Assuming Reynolds is second, I vote Elladj Balde for third, for sure! I don't know a lot about Firus. Nam Nguyen is young and has time ahead of him. Rogozine is talented but he needs marinating and beefing up his on-ice personality. Jeremy Ten is a lovely, lyrical skater whose had injury problems. Ten is a wonderful artist on the ice who I hope has the opportunity to share his talents with the world in other venues should he not make the Olympic team. It seems to me that Balde is a stronger candidate for the third position, but what do I know? ;)

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Yes, because I didn't feel like making this a multiple choice poll. :)

BTW, I really like Roman Sadovsky's potential but decided not to include him in the poll even though he placed 4th in the FS at Challenge and 5th overall (behind Rogozine, Firus, Nguyen, Ten).

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  14. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I cant see Reynolds not making it. I know he has missed in the past, but this is different. He was 5th at Worlds and beat Hanyu and Takahashi to win 4CCs last season. Unless he lands like 3 jumps he will be given the scores to the team in this relatively weak group of men.

I want Firus or Ten to get the 2nd spot but I expect more likely it will be Balde or Rogozine (blech at the latter).

15. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

How many times can I vote for Elladj?

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Why no love for Rogozine. He is a great guy and did a good job for Canada at Worlds, and he is a World Junior Champion past so shows amazing potential. I hope there isnt bias to him since he is a Russian immagrant.

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Ten because he's getting older, I like his skating, and I like him personally since following his tweets on Twitter. Rogozine is rather boring and Balde is entertaining but IMO, looks "clunky" on the ice (for lack of a better word). I don't think Firus is quite ready yet.

18. FelicitySmoak

FelicitySmoak Member

I'm all for this as well!

19. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I voted for Liam, because I like his skating the best of all the men that are listed.

However, I don't think he'll do it. I think the person who actually will be third is Andrei, because he usually has the jumps and generally completes better under pressure than the other choices.

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Canada is going to struggle in the men's event when Chan retires. I don't see much depth at all.

21. cbd1235

A) Word in Southern Ontario is that he doesn't train, that coming from very reliable sources. Apparently his ego could float the Titanic aswell.
    B) His jumps are awkward, the way he picks on flip and lutz is atrocious, and he rarely carries too much flow out.
    C) His basic skating skills are poor (run of the blade, flow, speed, bendy knees all lacking).
    D) There is little refinement in his skating (posture, arms, everything in C), the first thing that should have been addressed after earning his Junior World title.

E) Every one of the skaters ahead on the poll have better B, C, and D than he has.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with being an immigrant. Canada welcomes them with open arms :)

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that someone who sucks that badly could have won junior worlds.

23. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Well Balde is also a Russian immigrant who is second in the poll, so I highly doubt that's a factor. Fedor Andreev was also pretty popular in Canada.

I'm pulling for Balde or Firus, but think that Rogozine probably has an edge after his Challenge performance, even if I agree with all the points raised by cbd1235. Ten has great basics but his skating does absolutely nothing for me, so I'm not really rooting for him (although it seems from the poll results that he has enough fans that he doesn't need my support ;)). Nam has been so inconsistent that I don't think he is ready yet but I wouldn't be upset if he pulled it together and got the spot.

24. cbd1235

He does not suck. He has a number of features to his skating that are unattractive, possibly explaining the lack of interest in him from the members who voted on this poll. He can be (and is a) Junior World Champion but that doesn't mean the public will have to enjoy his skating more than someone who hasn't earned a title like that.

Also, as a Junior if you tick all the boxes and land all the jumps then you can certainly climb through the ranks very quickly, even without top-notch basics. It is generally the skating skills/artistry/refinements that are the differences between Junior and Senior skating.

25. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Is Roman Sadovsky even age eligible? He doesn't turn 15 until May 31 of 2014. That being said, he actually could place ahead of several of the names in the poll (although probably not good enough for 3rd overall IMO).

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

:eek: Oh right! http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014082.htm
    Good thing I didn't include him in the poll, eh?

75 voters so far:
    Ten 30
    Balde 21
    Firus 15
    Rogozine 6
    Nguyen 2
    Other 1 (who?)

27. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Is Nam old enough to go now?! If so, I didn't realize!

28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I didn't see the competition but would guess that Rogozine landed all his jumps and others made mistakes. He is a fighter when it comes to the jump, but other than that doesn't have much going for him IMHO. His facial expression especially leaves a lot to be desired - he usually looks sullen.

29. geoskate

If the wording of the question is taken literally, someone could vote for a skater even if the skater didn't have the remotest chance of finishing third realistically. Perhaps a friend of one of the lower-ranked skaters wants that skater to take the third spot, just because it would be a nice experience for them.

If that's not the explanation, then I'm stumped on who the mystery skater would be.

30. geoskate

I think people are forgetting that Rogozine didn't just win Junior Worlds, but he also finished 13th at Worlds last season, which is quite a good achievement. He had the 3rd highest international score of any Canadian male skater last season after Patrick and Kevin (216.60). This season it's been closer, with Andrei having some nightmare skates (Summer Sizzle, Octoberfest), and Eladj and Jeremy both reaching 205 points internationally.

Still, although he may not have good skating basics and he may often have poor landings on his jumps, until one of the other skaters who does have good basic skating starts LANDING JUMPS Rogozine will still be very much in the mix.

Off topic a bit, but it's rather disconcerting that there are so few senior Canadian male skaters who feel comfortable with the triple axel, let alone the quad. There were very few of either jump landed at Challenge. That relates to what Jammers was mentioning about the lack of depth. It's not just in senior men; it's really evident in the junior men as well, where the technical level is quite a bit below the level of the average junior competitors from Japan, Russia, or the U.S. IMO.