Which 2 U.S men will make it to Sochi

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Apr 6, 2013.

Which 2 U.S men will make Olympic team

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Aaron

74.1%
  2. Miner

7.8%
  3. Dornbush

15.5%
  4. Miner

5.2%
  5. Lysacek

25.9%
  6. Abbott

38.8%
  7. Farris

21.6%
  8. Brown

6.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

At this point who would be your picks for the 2 U.S mens spots for the Sochi Olympics. I would guess Aaron will be one. I think if he mantains his current consistency and jumping there is no way he will be denied a spot. The other is alot tricker and it is possible any of Abbott, Lysacek, Dornbush, Miner, Rippon, Farris, Brown, could factor into that.

2. judgejudy27

Sorry I put Miner twice. Could a moderator replace the 2nd one with Rippon. If not just vote for the 2nd Miner 4th from the top if you mean Rippon.

I almost voted for Aaron and Miner, but changed to Aaron and Abbott at the last second. I know alot will write Miner off after his Worlds and 4CCs result, but I think he is a fighter and he is very consistent most of the time which most U.S men currently arent. I have a feeling the USFSA would most want it to be Dornbush or Abbott, but I am not sure how either will skate at Nationals, but I have a feeling Abbott will skate well enough for 1 of the 2 spots (either winning or being 2nd at Nationals) for some reason. I dont think Evan will even show, and I dont think he will be much of a factor even if he does.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ha ha, way too early for this poll. BTW, Miner is listed twice, so do you mean this season's version of Ross, vs a Kwan-like, and quad-confident transformed version of Ross? ;)

This poll will just be a measure of people's preferences and likely based on who we wish would make the Sochi team. For this year's Worlds, I always thought it would be important for the U.S. to send one veteran and one up-and-comer as the best hopes for trying to gain 3 spots. In the end, it always seems to be a crap shoot, thus Max Aaron's breakthrough and Abbott's fall on an uncertain quad (in view of his inability to train it this season) plus his doubling too many triples overthrew the apple cart. Ross was prepared with great programs but he was still trying to get comfortable with his quad, and 4CC hurt his confidence. Ross' usual steadiness I feel was thrown off a bit by tentativeness on the quad, and mentally perhaps over-thinking re the pressure involved.

For different U.S. guys to be going to Worlds every year, the younger guys are not having the opportunity to develop their skills and confidence internationally. Same goes for the ISU judges not getting to fully know U.S. guys and their abilities. Therefore, trying to make a judgement now will just be a guessing game/ preference game, as usual.

Since the poll is up for a year, likely most people will come back to it in January 2014. :)

I'm not voting now, but if Evan actually has quads and is in good form, it might be him and Max Aaron (but that's not my preference). Max will likely need to show stylistic improvement along with probably having another quad in his arsenal. Personally, I really can't see Evan being ready with consistent quads, and he doesn't actually have great artistry either, but maybe the judges will be looking more for quads and reliability, rather than quads and artistry.

I think Farris and Brown will be on tap for 2018. If Richard is able to step it up consistently, I could see it being Richard and Max for Sochi. I haven't heard that Johnny Weir is not going to try to come back again, so perhaps you meant to include his name instead of a second Miner? Likely Johnny has just as much chance to be on point with quads as does Evan, which is to say not the best odds.

Who knows re Jeremy Abbott. He so should have been at Worlds the last three years (but he lost out by not stepping up in crucial moments). At this point, if Jeremy attains physical and mental strength, he is obviously still a factor, and I think of the veteran's, he's the strongest possibility to make it.

Of the younger guys, I think Max, Richard, and Adam are likely the strongest contenders, with Ross at least for now, a dark horse. Adam will need to have a strong quad however, because if Ross' quad is more secure, that may be a trump card. Again, I can see Farris and Brown placing well at Nationals, but a lot will depend upon Josh having a strong quad and developing his stylistic identity, and doing well on the GP circuit. As I said, I think both Josh and Jason should be thinking more toward 2018, but that doesn't mean they both aren't a threat to challenge big time and shake things up in the standings.

Ok, I see you noticed the doubling of Miner. I didn't notice you hadn't included Rippon, but yes, there's no Johnny. ;)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. judgejudy27

No I never had any intention of including Johnny in the poll. That was not a mistake. I only intended to include Rippon instead of Miner twice.

5. aftershocks

Yeah, obviously and not surprising either. You are getting some votes. It will be interesting if someone makes the team who is not in this poll (other than Rippon that is, who still currently is not included). :lol:

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I''m thinking that if Dornbush avoids illness and injury, he and Aaron will make the team

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Probably Aaron and Abbott. But I hope at least one of Dornbush or Farris makes it. Farris is a really big longshot though. Ricky could have a good chance though. Lysacek and Miner are other considerations. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of the 6 I mentioned made the team though.

8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I voted Aaron and Dornbush.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It's beyond bizarre to me that some consider Dornbush to have a really good chance to make the team and Farris to be a really big longshot. AS IF Ricky's track record has been the epitome of confidence and dependability . . . are we even talking about the same skater?

As for Aaron, he has never been in the position of being the chased, so it will be really interesting to see how he reacts to being a first time defending National Champion with everyone gunning for him.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

My hope is that Ricky finds his consistency and matures his skating better enough to make the olympic team. I also want Farris to make his olympic debut at Sochi but as long as Ricky earns his spot, I'd be fine with anyone.

11. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I voted Aaron and Lysacek.

Aaron because the US judges reward multi-quadding. (remember Bradley?) Amazing how those PCS scores rise with quadding. Aaron is a solid skater (better than Bradley) , and he is consistent. It will be enough. I think he will handle the stress of defending his title well.

Lysacek will be over-rewarded for being a returning OGM.

Who would I rather see? Some combination of Rippon, Abbott or Miner. Miner has been consistently in the medals at Nationals the last few years. He has a shot for top two if Lysacek doesn't come back. Rippon has the perfect (for him) FS program. He might sneak in if he stays healthy and his jumps improve. Abbott's a quality skater, no longer at his best. He would be a sentimental favorite to make the team, but age and injury seem to be working against him.

12. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I hope you don't consider me beyond bizarre :p

My thought on Dornbush is that first of all, there seems to be logical excuses for his last 2 season: Poorly mounted blade in 2011-12, ankle injury during the 2012 GPF and flu at Nationals this past January. I personally get suspicious over numerous excuses, but we'll see.

His performances at the last comp - 2013 4CC's - show that he is capable of scoring big even w/ flaws. Both national and international judges seem to love him and will reward him with PCS which gives me hope for him.

13. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I voted for Max & ....Jason!! Jason is going to come into his own now that he has the triple axle. If he lands the quad he may be very hard to beat. As far a s Dornbush is concerned I see him as a legitimate contender for the medal stand at Nationals. He's a fighter & his problem this past season has been an inconsistent quad but it's coming. What I see in him is a man who makes major mistakes in the beginning of a program & then gathers himself & skates strong in the last half. Miner will be back. I don't expect Abbott to even medal. Lysacek is a question mark. With a solid quad he could repeat as Champion. Then there is Farris & Rippon & Messing & Mahbanoozadeh & ....! LOL!

14. judgejudy27

One factor I had not considered is the obvious reality whoever the U.S sends to Sochi there is zero medal possability, not even someone with an outside shot if they skated lights out and there were alot of errors. So with that in mind perhaps they will look to the future and make sure to send two guys who might have a shot for 2018. If that mentality is taken it could be say Farris and Dornbush being sent, or perhaps even Brown if he has improved alot. Aaron probably wont be around for 2018, but could help the U.S regain 3 spots at the World level up until 2016 so they might continue to reward him if he keeps landing quads and skating well also. Probably no point sending old Abbott or old Lysacek to the Olympics to finish somewhere from 9th to 15th and retire, sending journeyman Miner, or unable to make mark Rippon.

15. icellist

icellist Member

Dornbush and Farris are the most complete skaters on the list for artistry and technique

16. pinky166

Yes and if the USFS wants to send guys who have a chance to be medal contenders in 2018, then these are probably the smartest 2 picks. If there were a 3rd spot I wouldn't mind Abbott or Lysacek going, but realistically next season will be their last, and they are both past their prime so I feel like unless they really skate lights out at Nats and have good fall seasons, giving them an Olympic spot as a retirement gift is not the wisest decision. Aaron could also stay around until 2018, but idk if he has the potential to be a medal contender on the World stage, his artistry would have to improve a lot. Miner I think is probably always going to be a 2nd tier skater internationally, Rippon is lovely but not strong enough with the jumps I'm afraid, Jason could be a factor in a few years but I don't think he'll be quite soup next season given the newness of the 3a, and he has yet to even attempt a quad in competition (and just started training them recently), so no need to rush him especially with only 2 spots. Dornbush and Farris would be my ideal team but Aaron is also a good choice.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I hope Abbott will be in.
    And I guess Aaron is the best to have a spot, but I would love Joshua Farris to be in the team !

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I bet Lysacek will not skate at US Nationals again, or any eligible competition for that matter. Pretty sure Aaron will make it, and Mr. Consistency Ross Miner will grab the second spot. If not Miner, then Abbott with Farris and Dornbush as dark horses.

19. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I refuse to vote in this poll because Alexander Johnson isn't on it. :mitchell:

Yeah, long shot and all that, but damn, what fabulous edges and presentation.

20. aftershocks

^^ Ha ha. Alexander would indeed be a wonderful addition, if there was a third spot available. :( I'm with you that there are obviously other talented guys contending in the U.S., but to be honest, the top guys are the ones listed (Rippon has not yet been included as intended). I haven't actually voted because I prefer to wait until the new season starts, at least. ;)

ITA with the excellent points made by centerpt1!

IMO, Joshua and Jason have 2018 to look forward to, and anything before that will be a significant accomplishment -- even better than icing on the cake. :) If there were 3 spots available, I believe it would be more likely Farris could win a spot if he skated competitively well at Nationals. Jason doesn't yet have a quad, but he seems to have mastered the 3-axel and with his superb artistry and showmanship he's definitely a contender on a grand scale. But again with only two spots, it's more likely ...

The battle for Sochi will come down to Max, Richard, Adam, Evan, Jeremy, and Ross. Plus, a clean Armin with quads should not be completely ruled out as a podium contender. I definitely hope to also see Alexander and Keegan place well. I also would not discount the fact that if Johnny miraculously comes back with quads and is somehow reborn, he would be competitive, but I wish he would have gone the cool commentator route. In fact, to me Evan isn't looking like he could pull off an actual U.S. title win the way Max has proven he can control his nerves and lay down quads. However, as current OGM and perennial USFS fave, Evan still has some clout and rep, that is if he comes back strong, which is not guaranteed. The shame is that Jeremy has the talent to trump everyone (even Patrick), but Jere-amazin' has ultimately lacked the mental fortitude in the competitive moments that mattered. Sadly, it was largely physical issues which proved to be Jeremy's biggest obstacle this season. It’ll be fun seeing Jeremy performing his programs for a final time this season at WTT.

I think museks8r along with JJ should review the history of surprising figure skating upsets and triumphant comebacks. In this sport, anything is possible. And, in fact, Richard Dornbush has all-around talent and potential. He will surely need a measure of good luck too after having rotten luck the past two seasons. But with the right programs, confidence and momentum, Richard is definitely a contender. IMO, Richard has struggled more-so with overall confidence due to setbacks. He surely needs to work on his posture, stretch and line, but it’s quite obvious to me that RD had the capability and the possibility of winning or making the World team even this year had he been clean and had he not contracted that virus. He went for it in the long program at Nats but came up short due to lacking stamina. I suppose it’s clear that neither Max nor Richard happen to be your cup of tea, museks8r. :p

I don’t argue that Richard and Joshua have all-around talent in terms of technique and artistry, but I don’t think either of them has yet fully come into their own re unique style, amazing artistry and musical interpretation (Jeremy, Jason, Adam) or amazing quads and fierce determination (Max). Also, Ross has overall proven to be more competitively consistent than Richard, but they both have been adjusting recently to the effort to make their quads more reliable.

Actually, pinky, Adam is looking pretty rock solid on his jumps. Since he’s coming back from an ankle injury, he didn’t perform all the difficult jumps in his recent new program debut, but don’t let that fool you. Adam’s conquered the 3-axel technique, and he’s looking very strong and confident. He’s also training quads under his coach and jump-maestro, Rafael Arytunyan.

21. Proustable

Proustable New Member

1. I don't believe Lysacek will be a real contender if he does show up, nor do I think he'll show up.

2. No one is a lock. I remember thinking Abbott was a lock in 2010/2011. He had just finished 5th in Torino, won medals at both his GP events (the only other American skater to do that was Brandon Mroz) and the American men weren't that strong - recalling that Dornbush (and Aaron and Messing and Farris and Brown) were competing as juniors and Miner was coming off an injury earlier in 2010. Even with Bradley's return, there wasn't much competition for the title. That he ended up fourth floored me. The competition is tighter now (all those juniors are now seniors internationally, for one thing) and Abbott seems to be in a similar position to Nagasu - that he'll have to skate out of skin to really be considered.

3. I voted for Aaron (he has reliable quads, which means his PCS will be higher than he deserves, thus his scores) and Farris. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Miner snuck through. I don't get Dornbush, think Rippon's day has passed. Brown's a darkhorse, but the stars would REALLY have to align.

22. aftershocks

^^ :lol: IMO, Proustable you hit the nail on the head with your first point re Lysacek, but get this:

You don't need to get Richard Dornbush in order for him to win and to be a contender on the world stage. A lot of people don't get Patrick Chan constantly winning with numerous technical errors just because of his SS and off-and-on quad mastery either. :p

You may think Rippon's day has passed, but I'll say this: Not a day has passed in which Adam Rippon hasn't been working his butt off with Rafael Arytunyan, and believing in himself and his talent, and it shows! :cheer:

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Your point is fair - I don't need to get Richard for him to be one of the two men sent to the Olympics.

I don't mean to disparage Rippon's work ethic. But someone without a quad and with an iffy triple axel isn't in a great position in this field at this time.

24. aftershocks

^^ Ah, but Adam Rippon's 3-axel is no longer "iffy." In fact!

The only reason Adam didn't put the 3-axel in his recent performance is because he's recovering from an ankle injury. Clearly Adam will need to incorporate a quad to be competitive in the current men's scene (no one has indicated otherwise), but that's a far cry from "Rippon's day has passed." Hopefully, Adam's name will soon be included in this poll as intended, and Miner's votes will be consolidated.

In any case, it's probably not fair of us fans to be dumping on any of these hard-working skaters. I doubt most of us would have ever made it to the level they have in this hugely difficult sport in the first place.

I think what it boils down to is this poll is way too early, it's the off-season AKA the crazy endless polls season, and there will always be heated debate, politics, and subjectivity in figure skating. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  25. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Someone upthread said that none of the U.S. men have a realistic shot at an Olympic medal, and I agree. Which is why I think the USFSA will give the nod to the two men who "bring it" the most at Nationals. I could see one of the young'uns like Josh or Jason taking the ice with nothing to lose, bringing the house down and grabbing an Olympic berth.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. aftershocks

Like has been proven, anything is possible.

27. pinky166

Adam's 3a was better at Nats but I still wouldn't say it's a great jump for him, he hit it well in the SP, but both 3a in the FS weren't that great - improved yes, but not one of the more impressive 3a jumps in the field.

And Mr. Consistency Ross Miner? Did you watch 4CCs and Worlds? His last two showings this season showed that not only is the 4s not consistent yet, but the 3a is no longer consistent for him either. He scored between 210-215 points at 4 of his 5 international events this season so that's the only consistency you can really speak too and those marks aren't all that impressive...

I'm not sure Brown owns the 3a yet either. He was great at JW but he had rather a poor season overall, at Nationals he was decent, but he didn't even break 200 points at any of his JGP outings and was beaten by Kovtun and Hino at the JGPF. Kovtun beat him in PCS at the JGPF even. So while his artistry is nice, it's not getting rewarded that much by the international judges yet. I know he had the highest PCS in the FS at JW, but it was only a couple points ahead of Farris, and that was for a perfect, blinder skate while Farris had a skate marred by the fall on his 4t, not to mention the overall performance was, IMO, a bit robotic due to his being so focused (I thought he performed the program better at Nationals where he seemed less tense and more free). We'll see what happens during the upcoming season.

Interested in seeing what Ricky can do this upcoming season. If he can regain consistency, he should have good odds.

Abbott I think a lot depends on the status of his quad. At this point it doesn't seem like he really has the 4t steadily in his arsenal anymore, so putting it in the SP is likely not a great idea, and while falling on it in the FS is one thing, if his falls keep getting marked as 4t<, then he could be in a vulnerable situation.

Farris probably has the best 3a of the men's field in the US right now, but I think the 4t will really be the key element for him this season. If he can start landing it in competition and can keep the consistency and quality of his 3a and 3a-3t up, then I think he will be dangerous, especially if he should decide to put two quads in his FS and possibly one in the SP (no clue if he will/should do either, but if he did and landed them with some success, he should be in the mix). The artistry is not that great yet but he's already in low 7s in juniors with self choreo programs so his PCS shouldn't really hold him back, more that they won't give him an edge, but his ability to consistently get level 4s on his spins and steps will help, plus his jump and spin GOE will also help as few other guys will be able to match that kind of GOE in BOTH the jumps and spins (Max can do it on jumps but isn't as strong in the spins, Adam and Jason can even exceed it on the spins but aren't as strong in the jumps). So we will see what happens. But USFS seems to prefer Brown to Farris so if Brown does start trying a quad and is consistent with his 3a in the fall, then he realistically may have better odds just because he has always been rewarded for what he does well at Nats, so it will be interesting.

28. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I'd send Abbott and Farris, just becasue they are my favorites and I think Jason Brown could use another year before becoming The Star :lol:.
    But seriously, this is an insanely unpredictable field. Until one solid leader emerges, anything is possible. And I don't think the Federation would hold up anybody too much, exactly because the medal prospects are low.

29. judgejudy27

I would really like the team to be Farris and Dornbush, or if Aaron makes it (which I wont mind) I hope it is one of the other two for the other spots. I wont mind if Miner makes it, as it will be his only chance at the Olympics, but really it wouldnt do anything for the US, either now or in the future, but if he earns it at Nationals then so be it. I wouldnt even mind Rippon of Mahbanoozadeh (who I would have put in my poll had I remembered) if they skate well enough at Nationals, although like Miner I dont really think are part of the U.S mens future, and wouldnt be of any of current or long term benefit, but as the U.S has no medal hopes they might as well give it to who skates great on the day of Nationals. Would rather not see skaters who have already experienced the Olympics and wont do well this year like Abbott or Lysacek, or a skater who still has alot of development left like Brown.

30. aftershocks

Ouch, you're a bit harsh pinky! Did you see Jason Brown's lp skate at Junior Worlds. Out of this world! Many doubted that Jason would ever get the 3-axel ... and he's got it. Also, I think Rippon has been bad-mouthed enough over the 3-axel. AdaRipp is working it, so stop the nitpicking, please. :p

I like Joshua, but he's not yet the bees' knees by any means. He has enormous all-around skills and potential, but he's still got to work on projecting more to the audience and fully developing his style which is gonna require further challenging himself artistically. Jason may not yet have the quad and he's still refining his command of the 3-axel, but Jason is big time great stylistically, musically, artistically and magical performance-wise.

Still, IMO, Joshua and Jason have 2018 to shoot for ... but once again anything and everything is possible.

ETA:
    And JJ, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss young, talented skaters. A lot of people dismissed Max Aaron too all the way up to and past this year's U.S. Nationals. And prior to her transforming and phenomenal break-out 1995-1996 season, Michelle Kwan was considered just a cute jumper who was too young to be awarded a deserved podium spot.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013