Where to sell comic book collection & comic art

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Christina, May 30, 2010.

1. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you all can prove me right. I told my husband that someone on FSU will know where or how to sell a comic book collection and some comic art. We cleaned out his storage unit today, and it turns out he collected comics in 1991-1994 or so. I've started making a spreadsheet of what he has, and the condition. We're talking boxes and boxes of comics, Superman, Xmen, Spiderman, etc.

I've been googling my fingers off, and I still don't have a clue how to sell it, besides ebay. Any ideas?

Also, he's got some original artwork from Spiderman, the origin of a villain, from a pretty big name artist. I emailed one guy who called within 5 minutes of my sending photos and offered a couple thousand after only viewing a few bad photos. Which tells me they are worth more. :shuffle: Every time I see shows like Pawn Stars, I think I wouldn't sell my stuff to them, I'd put it at an auction to get the best price. So does anyone know anything about comic art auctions?

2. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

You can try places that buy old comics and such, try internet searches. Craigslist is another place.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

1. Separate the art from the comics. There are auction houses that either specialize in sales of comic-related art or major auction houses that have comic or fantasy related sales -- if someone was willing to offer you that off a email of bad photos, best to get it appraised. (I have a friend that donated a major collection of psychedelic album/concert art to a museum, and I'm sure he'd tell me how to find appraisers; he's a pretty major collector in a bunch of areas and buys a lot privately and at auctions around the country. PM me if you want me to make contact and let me know your general area.)

2. Comics price guides are easily available. You can browse (or search, some are on line) and look for particularly valuable comics published in the right years and then see if you have them. We had a big (boxes and boxes and boxes) collection of SF from the 50's-60's my mil had kept, and the biggest value items turned out to be the L. Ron Hubbard stories that formed the basis of Scientology, and for which Scientologists will pay big bucks to get copies. A few others had medium values, and a bunch of others were only worth a few bucks a copy. (But on a lot of boxes, came to some $). Some of Mr. barbks comics from the 70's-early 80's have some real value, but he mostly bought the kind of alternative stuff. (Judge Dread.) Not sure about more recent stuff.

3. Depending on your situation, you might want to evaluate whether you'd be better of selling the collection or taking a charitable donation for donating it to some charity or university library that would keep it in its collection. You might find the donation actually means more to your bottom line.

Christina and (deleted member) like this.
  4. icecat

icecat Active Member

Back when I lived in Chicago, I used to help run the Chicago Comicon. We sold it to Wizard magazine and it is now Wizard Con. Check the Wizard website for this years dates or google comic conventions ( there are usually a bunch over the summer) Find the one closest to you and prepare a list and photos of what you have. there will be hundreds of comic dealers in one spot at one time and you will have a better chance of getting a good price as well as having them evaluated as to condition so you can check the Comic Buyers guide for base pricing. If you want a list of some of the dealers you can send me a pm. have quite a collection of comic art myself. Comicon was always over july 4th which is my skating daughter's birthday so she grew up having amazing comic artists do skating art for her every year. We even have Barbie, Vampirella and Bone on ice lol.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Comic conventions are probably the easiest way. At the con in San Diego, hundreds of thousands of people are there, and there are tons of vendors selling original art and/or comic books. If you've really got originals, someone there will definitely pay a pretty penny for them.

Many of the comic artists are there themselves. I can definitely see a charity auction with one of those original pieces being very successful.

San Diego Comic Con is too big for its own good - I think the waiting list for vendors is hundreds long. :lol: But there are others around the country that aren't as nuts. SF has Wonder Con and Chicago has Wizard Con.

http://www.comic-con.org/

6. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

You guys are awesome, thanks!

barbk, I'll PM you.