Where to for Mirai Nagasu now?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lahaa968, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I think many of us are concerned that Mirai isn't making the most out of opportunities she has. This is akin to a high school graduate choosing to go to a mid-tier state school when they get into Harvard. Usually it's extenuating financial or familial circumstances that cause them to make that decision, but on paper, it looks like they're throwing away a great opportunity. Many such kids are still quite successful, because work ethic and intelligence often don't care where you go to school, although they might have shut the door on certain fields for not going to the big-name Ivy League. If you really want to go into a certain field and choose not to go to a school which is renowned in that field, it may mean that they're sacrificing their chance for success there. This is what I think a lot of people believe is happening for Mirai. By eschewing going to a great coach that isn't local to the area, she may be missing out. But we (and she) may never know for sure, because there are a lot of factors when it comes to skating success.

2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Agreed. Seems like she was dedicated enough to find another coach and continue anyway. It's just unfortunate that she got sick at such a critical moment...I really think with a strong FS she had a shot at winning.

She seemed devastated afterwards (don't blame her)...I hope this doesn't discourage her. I still think she has a shot at another Olympic team...With Wagner showing vulnerability and Gold going through senior transition/growing pains, the door may be open. If a 3rd spot is available, even more so...but even then she must be on top of her game...the judges proved they'll put a mistake-ridden Zawadzki over her...

3. change of edge

change of edge New Member

Her mom was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and has undergone several operations. It's likely Mirai just wants to be at home with her family.

4. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

More than fair. Most people would agree that is more important than any results at a figure skating compeitition.

5. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Very true.