Where to for Mirai Nagasu now?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lahaa968, Jan 27, 2013.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response to my query, Sasha'sSpins.

Amelie LaCoste's tweet of encouragement to Mirai (posted earlier in this thread) was very kind.

ETA:
    Or, if Amelie's tweet wasn't mentioned here, I must have read about it in another thread.

2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

IMO Mirai's major problem (under-rotations aside) is that she HASthat fabulous It factor.....that indescribable bit you can't teach and you can't learn. You either have it or you don't. You know, the one you can't keep your eyes off.
    Call it showmanship, natural spark, the ability to completely own and fill up the ice by standing still. She just doesn't use it. Makes her seem rather like she would prefer to be somewhere else.

When she uses it, her skating is sublime, impossible to ignore. But the ice did not light up during either of her skates.

And when her light is dim it is noticed. Because we know how fabulous she can be when she turns it on, we feel let down and disappointed when she doesn't.

I think she gets scrutinized on those jumps is that she hasn't fixed them.

I think maybe it is time to go off to college. Unless something drastic happens, she has a pretty long list of people to get past: Ashley, Agnes, Courtney, Gracie....and if the skate g-ds are kind, Alissa.

3. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Just curious, but why do you say she is a good as she will get at the beautiful part of skating?

4. aftershocks

^^ Yes, good point because I recall that Angela Nikidinov was a very accomplished skater who aside from her textbook layback spin positions and good jump technique never really grabbed my attention or my heart. That changed however after Angela bonded with coach Elena Tcherkasskaia who guided Angela to find the sublime artistry she possessed within, and the courage to express herself more fully on the ice.

It might be helpful for Courtney if someone encouraged her to slow down a bit and stop rushing everything. She does seem to have a dynamic personality and a lively spirit to go along with her impressive jumps. A big drawback for me in watching Courtney is that she could have been skating to anything. The music seemed to be trying to catch up with her throughout the entire program, but she left it in the dust, or more accurately, ignored it.

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^Courtney's skating definitely bugs me...she has as much grace as a tank. Her jumps scrape the rafters and that's a great thing, but she often looks unstable and a little all-over-the-place when she skates. She's clunky, very unrefined and not an aesthetically pleasing skater to watch (bad lines and lack of extension).

But all she needs is someone who will rein her in and slow her down, smooth out her movements and teach her to really listen to the music. She doesn't have to be a pwetty pwincess type skater but a bulldozer type skater won't work either. She's made a wonderful comeback given where she was this time last year and to place 4th in her first senior nationals is a great thing. The judges obviously like her (which is crucial in US figure skating now) so as long as she improves she'll be fine.

As for Mirai, I think she just had bad luck. If anyone listened to her at the SP press conference you could tell how sick she was. They actually had to let her take questions first so she could get off of the stage b/c she was coughing during everyone's questions. That kind of congestion messes with your breathing and zaps your energy. She was able to fight through for the SP but I knew the FS would be an issue.

I think if she'd been healthy she would have skated much better. It's sad the judges didn't bother to help her out the way they helped nearly everyone else at the top that night. Given Mirai's skate I figured she may come in 3rd or 4th...but to knock her all the way down to 7th? If the judging had been fair and even that night, I could have accepted those scores without question. However, when I look at the way the judges maneuvered Gracie and Ashley to the top by padding their scores I get really upset. Why didn't they extend the same courtesy to Mirai?

She had a strong season on the GP, posted the highest international score of any of the other ladies (sans Ashley) and it was clear she was on the upswing, as evident by that amazing SP she turned in. Why not give her the opportunity to keep going? Because the USFSA has their eyes on their two main candidates for promotion for 2014 and Mirai is nowhere on that list...

6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

re: Hicks

And she is still somewhat coached by Nicks. If he can't fix her feet, I don't think anyone else can.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

re: Nagasu

Is there another international which she can be sent to in a month or two to show her worth? She has worked too hard to end her season like this. And with her placement at Nationals she is going to be on the fence again re: GP assignments next season.

Having said that, when was her flu supposed to be? She looked great in the run through feed and in the short program.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Hicks has switched to Jere Michael and Alex Chang - they coach the very elegant junior Amanda Gelb.

I hope Nagasu will appreciate the improvements she made this year and continue her progress into next season. She is currently #10 on the Seasons Best total scores list, so should be able to get 1 GP assignment next season based on the current selection rules.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She coughed her way through the entire press conference after the short and sounded congested. It's possible that was the early stage and she was in the 'getting sick' phase of the flu. I'm not sure which flu strain she had, but the one going around my office drains you of energy to the point where people logged in from home are sometimes told to take a day off since they're not being all that productive. I can't even imagine what trying to do triple jumps would be like if she had the same thing.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  10. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yep, Frank still has a lot of influence with the judges.....

11. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

if the U.S gets that 3rd spot back she can fight for a spot on the Olympic team behind the shoo ins Wagner and Gold, although Agnes is a shoo in for that other spot then if she is half decent at Nationals next year. Otherwise see ya later kid.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thanks re: Hicks. I swear I read that she still takes from Nicks once a week.

Re: Nagasu, given this season's craziness with her nearly not having a second GP assignment, I was hoping she would place high enough to have two. And she deserves to end her season with some confidence. This is the second season in a roll she is ending her season at Nationals and it can't be good for confidence, especially since she was known tto have self esteem issues.

13. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I am so sad for her right now.
    I wish her well.

14. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Yes there are still some small events with senior competitions. There is also the World Team Trophy in April. Has the USFS announced the skaters for that yet?

If she was as sick as it sounds, maybe she should have withdrawn after the SP. It would have made it a lot easier for the USFS to give her some help standing 2nd after the SP. As it is now, based on final placements, it would be hard to pass over so many other skaters.

15. Sylvia

Marco, I've copied over and replied to your question in the general U.S. Ladies thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...al-into-2013&p=3820595&viewfull=1#post3820595

USFS usually waits until after Worlds to name the WTT team. USFS' spring assignments are primarily for developmental purposes (to give a first international experience to JGP-eligible skaters next season). Abbott and Czisny were sent to Challenge Cup in The Hague as a pre-Worlds warmup last year but that was unusual.

It showed guts for Nagasu to have competed her FS and I admire her for doing it.

16. os168

os168 Active Member

Any updates on Mirai yet? Totally gutted for her, 3 years in a row now... is it time to hang up her boots once and for all? I really hope not

Yet how can the lack of funding and obvious federation disinterest (& even biases) would surely sap anyone's spirit. This is a cruel cruel sport, never mind what she brought great honour to the US ladies during the Olympics. I felt like having such a weird withdraw syndromes right now. The double dumping of Mirai and Jeremy is too much for me emotionally. Poor Caroline. Liza in 3rd from Europeans is not helping. Sigh...!! :(

17. Sylvia

Nagasu received Team B envelope funding this season and will remain in Team B next season due to her medaling at NHK Trophy.

18. os168

os168 Active Member

Thanks Sylvia, is this an upgrade or down grade from her last year's funding?

19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Well that's good. Better than nothing at all.

20. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

Whoever picked that music for Mirai's LP must have been smokin' something. Please give her something energetic.

21. aftershocks

^^ Re "rough, but fair": I'd say that subjectively Mirai should/ could have been in second after the sp over Agnes, and that it looks very bad to have dropped Mirai all the way down to seventh overall taking into account what she did in the sp, and also the fact she wasn't completely horrible in the fp. The deduction in her fp for what looked similar to a Patrick Chan-like "nonfall" is also debatable.

I do think that both Mirai and Christina should have made a more concerted effort to look happier during and after their skates for what they did well (Mirai toughing it out with illness, and Christina skating a pretty clean fp, albeit with some tense moments). Like Scott Hamilton said after Christina's skate (in fact the only substantive insight he had IMO): "Don't play up the negative." That's something many skaters should take heed of.

22. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I don't think she has that "it" factor at all. In fact since Sasha left in 2006 we haven't had a skater with that "it" factor. They have been nice pleasant skaters with some good skills but no one has been exciting. I'm thinking Gracie might change that, but who knows. Mirai was a fun teenager when she first won her National title, but for some time now she has looked bored with skating. I certainly didn't think she had any persosnality at Nationals this year. Yes, she was ill but lots of skaters skate when they are sick, and they do a whole lot better. With Mirai there always seems to be some problem. Last year she didn't do well because of the long commute, this year she was sick next year there will be some other problem. I do agree that maybe it's time for her to do something else. She just doesn't seem that excited about skating anymore.

As far as her 7th place, it was deserved. This constant complaint that she is being treated badly by the judges is ridiculous. She was third after the short program, so if the judges really didn't like her they could have found a way to place her lower. The truth is she just doesn't have good technique on her jumps and it shows up at the competitions and especially when others do skate better.

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

My complaint, and I believe this is the more common complaint on this board since nationals, is NOT that she was treated badly by judges but that others were treated with much more kindness. Specifcally, UR's ignored, PCS pumped up, etc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  24. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I was very sad for Mirai and thought that the judging was very unfair, for reasons that others have already articulated. One idea I have for Mirai is for her to skate to Firebird for her long program, the music she skated to for Bebe Liang's entry in that choreography competition. Who is her choreographer these days? Maybe she need a change. I do think she should keep her short program. I also think she should get rid of the over-the-boot tights. I know that sounds trivial, but the white-boot look is classic and just makes a program look so much better on the ice. The real key to Mirai's future is totally out of her hands because it depends so much on the US getting three spots for the Olympics.

25. Leeedward

Leeedward New Member

You cover it all. Echos my assessment 100 percent. Time is short. She has no more time to waste. (I might add that there is not another skater that I wish & hope for success more than Mirai. As talented as she is, she must not doubt or dawdle in her resolve to be the best. )

26. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I think the largest limiting factor for Nagasu is finances. Plain and simple. If she can not afford to move away from home, she has to find what works for her locally.

27. change of edge

change of edge New Member

I agree that she seems to have significant problems with underrotations now, but there was definitely a time when she seemed to have already fixed them. Take 2011 4CC for example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HGYZYnxy6s

All the jumps looked clean and fully rotated. I think what's frustrating for her is that she knows she's capable of rotating them, but it doesn't happen. During nationals you could tell that she knew she was underrotating jumps and it just took the spark out of her performance.

28. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

She looks lighter there than she has for the last couple seasons. Even a just a few extra pounds can make a lot of difference in successful jumping.

I'd agree she doesn't have as much "it" as Sasha, but when she is skating confidently she does have an extra sparkle and natural style that makes her more watchable than most. I think that's why folks are so frustrated with her. Someone up thread said she is putting in more training hours nowadays than she did in recent years, so I guess we can still hope. It isn't really fair to write her off after an event where she was sick.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She always seems thoroughly bored with herself when she is skating. So much for "it" factor.

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I thought she looked fine during her SP. She gave more personality than people seem to be giving her credit for. It felt a little guarded when I watched her on Ice Network, but once I watched NBC's broadcast I noticed a bit more spark and energy from her in that performance.

Her LP was a bit flat but I'd attribute that not only to nerves but her illness. It's not an excuse really b/c the program, while a massive step up from that choreographic abortion "Spartacus", was not that entertaining or exciting...but to be fair very few people had good LPs that night in terms of choreography. Take Gracie: if her jumps were MIA like in the SP, her performance would have fallen flat too b/c not only was her program blah, but she was devoid of emotion throughout the majority it. Her jumps make her exciting...as far as choreography and performing, I'd put her right in line with the rest of the debuting seniors, and behind quite a few of them. Mirai hasn't had a good LP in a very long time...probably since Carmen. And her Carmen wasn't anything spectacular to be honest, it was just delivered very well which made it stand out.

I know Mirai had mistakes in the LP but, to reiterate what people have said several times, I feel as though she was punished more for her mistakes than others were punished for theirs. It's like the judges/callers turned their heads the other way for mistakes made by Ashley, Gracie and Agnes; however, any mistakes made by Mirai were penalized. It'd be fine if everyone had been scored fairly across the board...but when one skater is hit hard for mistakes while others skim by, it calls the whole competition into question b/c the judging is supposed to be impartial or at least consistent. There were inconsistencies with the judging of nationals this year and, unfortunately, Mirai got the short end of the stick...