Where should I stop for a day between DC and Florida?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

We are driving to Sarasota and stopping in Atlanta to see friends on the way down. On the way back, I want to stop somewhere for a day where I haven't been before. Not too far off 95. Doesn't have to be exactly halfway in between, but somewhere in northern GA, SC or southern NC would work. No particular agenda -- if it is a resort, I might take a golf lesson or get a massage. If its a historic town, I'd walk around and sightsee/shop. I have been to Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach. Candidates might be Hilton Head, Beaufort, Kiawah (a little too far off 95). Williamsburg VA is a little too close to DC (too long a drive from FL) and Jacksonville, FL isn't far enough along the route. Outer Banks NC is too far off the route. Any suggestions on location, particular hotels/B&B, restaurants etc?

2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

That section is straight through mill country. I don't recall any major resorts close by. Are you into history? A battleground tour might be an easy option.

If you decide to go off route to Hilton Head, the biggest pro style resort is at Sea Pines. I'm sure they have a spa if it's not lesson weather.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I did battleground tours deluxe when I was a kid (my older brother was a Civil War buff). I will check out Sea Pines.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If you're into Civil War history, then the Cyclorama is a great experience while you are in Atlanta, plus it's on the same grounds as Zoo Atlanta, where you can visit the pandas. :)

5. Nan

Nan Just me

This is very cool. :)

6. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I'm not sure how far Southern Pines is off of 95, but it might be a good place. I personally like Wrightsville Beach in NC. Wilmington area. There is an outlet mall off of 95 in Smithfield with hotels and restaurants in the same area. Seems like there was a little show in the same area also. check tripadvisor. Good luck and have fun.

7. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I don't know South well at all, but I've been to Beaufort and it is gorgeous ( but then again, though I remember loving the town, I was more "into" the swamp and the ocean, and you'll get it in Sarasota, as well).

8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Let me suggest Camden, SC. It's just a beautiful place. It was the second city created in SC after Charleston, and it is very historic-lots and lots of historic homes and antebellum homes. It's also a big center for horse racing which means there's a lot of upscale life. Their polo field was created in 1898, and I see the Camden Cup horse race is March 31. Arts too....very well known for history but only one battlefield and it's Revolutionary. I have been there several times, and it is really pretty and kind of unknown. It's also unexpectedly sophisticated - or maybe I just met those kinds of people there. Actors, dancers, etc.

Best thing-it's not that far out of your way. I would also suggest some upstate SC towns which are just beautiful, but that's really getting too far away. You can get to Atlanta pretty directly from Camden too. I think I-20 goes straight in. I'll check.

Augusta, GA is also along the path, and it's also beautiful. When is the Masters? You want golf??? Augusta's the place.

Edited to say that yes, it's en route to Atlanta. I-20 runs off 95, and Camden is just off I-20 northeast of Columbia. I-20 goes right into Atlanta.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Thanks everyone!

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I'd suggest Savannah, Georgia. It's a beautifully charming town, rich with history! Have fun. :)

ETA: Oops, I just read that you've already been there. :rofl: Well, go see it again!

11. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Southern Pines is in the sandhills, a good 90 minutes from I-95.

12. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Ava Gardner museum in Smithfield NC.

13. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Southern Pines is actually not *that* far from 95. More like 45 minutes. My parents live about 15 minutes from there, and I grew up around there. I wouldn't say there is that much to do, though, other than golf.

14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Weird....I wrote the above message about Camden on Saturday, and Sunday I got an email message from my friend in Camden whom I have not heard from in 2 years. He's a British actor who writes and performs one-man, one-act plays based on the lives of famous men in history. He used to be the curator for the historic archives at Covent Garden. Fascinating man.