Where is Maria Mukhortova these days?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by koatcue, Dec 15, 2011.

1. koatcue

koatcue New Member

Does anybody know if she has found a partner? Does she skate?Will she participate in R Nats?...And so on:)

2. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I'm so glad you are asking about her !.
    I really loved watching her skate with Trankov, they were my favourite pair for the last four years. I was gutted when they broke up.
    I did hear that she has taken a season off because of financial difficulties but may still skate again with a new partner.
    I think she split from the other man she skated with last season.
    I know a lot of people felt she was to blame for the split with Trankov (not being very nice to him) but I still felt she was so talented.
    I really hope she comes back, I would love to see her try for Sochi.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Maria is so talented! It will be a shame if she cannot find a pairs partner. I really liked watching her skate with Blanchard. That partnership ended way too soon, IMO. I am glad she is taking a year off to contemplate and regroup (that's how I see it). I hope the right partner comes along for her soon. May be she still has a shot at an Olympic spot in 2014.

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Perhaps Maria's personality and the situation with Vassiliev (the coach also banging the female partner of the pair) are impeding her ability to find another, suitable partner. It's a pity that it didn't work out with Blanchard, but I don't think that couple was given the time to gel as a partnership, and certainly didn't seem to push themselves on the competitive circuit right out of the gate (I believe only did one Russia cup event prior to their attempt at Nationals). Blanchard was exquisite, and I doubt she is going to find another partner of that caliber.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

It would be a minor miracle. The Russians have super depth in pairs again and the current top 3 are very strong. Barazova & Larionov were just set back by a bad Skate America but they will be fighting for the bronze at Worlds IMO.

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Maria is a beautiful skater, if she can manage to find a tall enough partner she could easily work toward 2018. I haven't heard what her plans are; I'm just sorry Oleg isn't training anyone, what a waste.

7. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Really? The way I see it, the worlds podium has been set, S/S and V/T for the top two spots, depending on who skates clean/better (and if both skate clean, I REALLY don't know which way the judges will swing, because I don't think the GPF set anything in stone).

Kavaguti/Smirnov have been pretty much awarded the bronze medal, I see B/L and Z/Z really going for the 4th/5th spot, but I can see where you are coming, in the case that K/S make major mistakes, but in that case, I wouldn't necessarily call it fighting for the bronze. But YES, I agree with you that those are the top 3 Russian teams, and it will be very difficult for Mukhortova with any new partnership to beat them.

But back to Maria, it was a shame that she couldn't land the jumps consistently (seems to be a problem with many of the ladies in pairs these days), as Trankov was such a great partner, but she was wonderful to watch, and I loved watching them at the 2010 olympics, especially their short (although with a fall), I loved that program.

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Quite true. Although I do think that Bazarova and Larionov can get a medal in 2018 (I don't think it will happen by 2014 unless Vera can get some consistency on her jumps)

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That is a HUGE waste. I am sure Russia wants to get the OGM in pairs back in Sochi, and one of the best coaches is not being used.

10. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

ITA!! What the heck?!?!, if I were a part of a federation, Cough(USFSA)Cough, id try to :bribe: Oleg to come over and start training some pairs ASAP!!

11. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if this is by choice? Does he only want to train senior pairs that are contenders? I find it hard to believe that Stas Morozov can show up in Russia, and within months have a Junior pair on the GP circuit, and Oleg not be coaching anyone. Has to be by choice right?

If he is patient through this season, I suspect he may get a senior pair after this season, that wants to change coaches. The Russian teams 3-6 have taken a minor step back this season compared to last season. Will the Russian Federation try to stop the downward trend by making changes? :watch:

12. bek

bek Guest

Well isn't Oleg (can't state for sure) still coaching in Chicago or at least a good part of the time. And Stan is in Moscow. If you want to coach young Russians, you kind of need to be coaching in Russia. How many parents of younger kids are going to be gunho about their kids leaving the country. Its one thing when your child is older more established.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I would love to see I&M move to Vassiliev. They have definitely taken a step back this season.

14. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

It has been rumored that she skates in shows with Artur Minchuk (ex-partner of Ksenia Stolbova and Anna Silaeva).

15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So whom does he coach in Chicago? Just adult skaters and kids? I'm surprised an American pair doesn't go to him, they could use his technical skills and most of them don't have to worry about getting any more boring (the common criticism of T&M and M&T).

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Are you saying that is not training anyone at all, or did you mean he is not training anyone who competed this year internationally? Because that's a big difference. He may have some young pairs but needs a few years to make them ready...

And in regards to Maria, I agree that she looked beautiful on the ice, but if she didn't manage to get to the complete top with Trankov, I don't think she can reach it with anyone else. I think finding a tall partner is not the only problem that stands in her way. Landing jumps is also a problem...

17. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

I do think Maria had a confidence problem but look at another Maria.
    Maria Butyrskaya. She was like that, then in 98/99 she turned it around.
    Maybe Maria needs a partner like Arthur Dimitriev.
    He always took care of his partners even when they were in poor form.
    Some skaters just need that extra care.
    The talent is there. I think it would be a real shame to lose a skater like her.
    I would much rather watch Maria than some others.
    Let's not forget Maxim made errors too, it was not just her.
    A good partner that she connects to may be the big difference for her.

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Maxim definitely made some errors, but in majority times it was her jumps that kept them lower. That was also the reason why they did not place any higher at the Russian nationals and that's why they lost the funding. I quite understand why the Russian federation would not want to spend so much money on their pair number 7, if they had six better ones.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It takes two to make a pair successful. Some pairs are just not well matched and with other partners they do much better. Maria Petrova, for example. With Anton S. who was a superb skater, she did not make it very far. With Tikhonov she won a world championship in 2000.

20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I wouldn't compare Maria Mukhortova with Maria P though. What were Maria P's issues? Was it also that she was unable to land her jumps with Anton S. and then suddenly she became very consistent jumper with Tikhonov? No, I didn't think so.

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

deleted post

22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

At the 2010 Olympics it was Trankov who missed the sbs jump in the SP, not Maria. It set them back, going into the LP. They had no chance for the gold, but they could have competed for the bronze had he landed the jump. May be he already knew they had no future as a pair, and did not try hard enough. It's strange how Maria gets the blame every time. Trankov was not perfect either when he skated with Maria.

Maria Petrova was very consistent in her jumps and throws. Somehow she and Anton just did not work out as a pair.

23. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Nope. Maria biffed her landing on the SBS jump as well, in her usual fashion. She just didn't assplant on it like Trankov did. In terms of him maybe knowing their partnership was ending and not giving it his all, I think that's a load of crap. I can't imagine any elite athlete making it to the Olympics and not giving it his all; and if he wasn't emotionally invested, I doubt his reaction would have been one of such devastation.

24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

If he were training anyone either in the US or Russia people would know about it. Either they would be competing or he would have said something himself. I haven't heard anything about him in over a year. Besides with his talent he should be training skaters of a higher level like S/K or I/M.

It seems like in every partnership that breaks up people feel the need to call one of them a villain, and unfortunately it's Maria. Maxim wouldn't be where he is now with anyone but Tatiana. She fell right into his lap and got him the better results he wanted. Too bad Maria can't benefit form the same arrangement. Hopefully soon.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No one in this thread is trying to make her the villain and Trankov the saint. But it needs to be said that if Trankov did not have the jumps, he wouldn't be so succesfull with Tatiana. If either him or Tatiana were missing jumps as Maria was, they would not be first in Russian nationals, they may not be sent to Euros and Worlds and then they wouldn't have this results this season. Of course he was lucky with getting such a good partner in Tatiana, but the bottom line is that he needed to deliver at every competition (including last years Russian nationals). So it is not pure luck; it is a skill!

Maria may have been slightly less lucky with her new partner, Blanchard may not be as great skater as Tatiana is, but at the end of the day, it is not only Blanchard's fault that they have finished seventh at their nationals and then they haven't been sent to Euros and Worlds. Maria missed quite a few jumps when it counted. I really like how she skated with Blanchard (in the edited video on youtube), but her jump unfortunately let her down.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with you having a different opinion, but I feel offended by those highlighted phrases. It should be possible to discuss FS and disagreeing strongly without resorting to such words. I have seen worse on the chatboards of other sports, but they are other sports, and I still like to believe FS and this board to be cleaner.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think you need to get over yourself.

There are plenty of mindnumbingly boring places to discuss skating, if you'd prefer so. :p

28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That may not be true of every partnership, but it's probably true of Maria (being called the villain, the worse jumper, the worse temperament, etc). IIRC Trankov was not squeaky clean either when they skated together. He has improved, and hopefully will continue to improve. I agree that he did get lucky with Tatiana, who was very consistent with her previous partner. I recall that when Maria and Blanchard split, there was an outrage against Maria- blaming her immediately. Some skaters just can't get the benefit of the doubt. From what I gathered later, Blanchard had his own reasons for not wanting to compete anymore.

About Maria finding another partner, I am wondering if there aren't enough talented senior level male pairs skaters in Russia right now (unless one of the current pairs split)?

29. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Or there may be some, but the question is, would they want to skate with her? Not everyone can bear the skating conditions where your female partner is in relationship with your coach. It can make working a bit difficult.

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

No one says that Trankov was squeeky clean, but he did land his jumps much more frequently that she did. It seems that you do have some trouble with recollection. Maybe look at the last two years of them skating together, make a list of all their GP events, Europeans and Worlds and go trough all the programs (on youtube) and count how many times each of them missed jump. I know, it will be a bit time consuming, but it will remind you how often she missed a jump.