Where does Lance Armstrong rank all time in cyclists?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KimGOAT, Jul 18, 2013.

Where does Armstrong rank all time

1. top 5

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. top 10, but not top 5

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. between 11-20

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. between 21-50

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. out of top 50

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Now that he has 0 Tour de France titles where does Lance right all time amongst cycling greats. He was only about 7th I felt ever before his DQs and stripping of his Tour de France titles. A one event pony who didnt excel in anywhere except that one event, with a super strong team to support him is not in the league of some of the past greats. Now with 0 Tour de France titles I wouldnt even put him top 50. I was curious where others ranked him now though.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Have any cycling greats rode clean? I thought for a long time it was just a given they were on drugs... even now, it kind of still is.

3. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Sort of true but he was one of those caught so no longer has any impressive records, and for me even before his stripping his overall record was not impressive outside of one event. I never thought he was close to the best ever even had he been clean.

Plus he doped more than others I think and the news that comes out indicates so.

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Even among the current riders, it's hard to know how to rank people. In most sports, winning the top prize qualifies you as the "best" and it's relatively easy to compare at least among current athletes, but in cycling, there are so many different ways to excel. I'm a big classics junkie, so I love the exploits of Boonen and Cancellara competing in the mud in March - but neither of them would ever be in contention for a GC on a grand tour. How do you compare the skill of a top sprinter with a mountain goat and decide which one is better.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Regardless of doping status, I prefer LeMond, so that makes Lance top 5 of the doping era.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I had him about 20th before his outing, and so I probably have him about 25th now. Being caught as a doper has almost no impact as I believe almost all of them are dopers anyway, but doping or not Lance was never close to the top tier of cylicsts in history.