Where do you like to sit on the plane?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Nan

Nan Just me

Probably a terminal case of, "I'm more important than anyone else." ;)

I'd rather have a seat in the front half of the plane, especially if I have a tight connection, but the best trip I ever had was with the rowdy bunch in the last three rows. I do like an aisle seat on the left of the aisle. I have a small issue with my right knee and if I sit on that side of the aisle, I can stretch it out occasionally. I also have a problem with motion sickness and don't ever look out the window. I can manage it if I do (and don't do) certain things, looking out a window is a big "don't do!" :lol:

2. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'm 6 feet tall, so I like the aisle so I can at least stretch my legs out a bit every now and then, although I hate having to get up to let people out, so I'll usually take a window seat. On short flights I don't need to get up myself, so I crunch myself in my seat and stay put until it's time to deplane. If I'm in a situation where my flight plans are altered at the last minute (canceled flight, missed connection, etc -- thanks Atlanta :rolleyes: ) I don't care where I sit, just get me on the damn plane!

3. mkats

mkats New Member

Ha, once I was flying from DC to Milwaukee and Airtran sometimes will let you pre-board if you don't have any wheeled baggage that might need to be gatechecked (i.e. just a backpack or something light). These two women - they looked like mother and daughter - hurried to the front of the line, lugging these HUGE wheeled suitcases that probably came within a mm of needing to be checked. Needless to say, they were turned away for early boarding.

Then when I was flying back from Milwaukee, the flight attendant announced that they were now gate checking all large bags and anyone without such a bag could board now, and to my surprise I saw the EXACT same two women, with the EXACT same huge bags, rushing and pushing to the front of the line again. Unsurprisingly, they were turned away again. :lol:

4. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

If possible I prefer to NOT have carry-on. I just don't like the hassle of trying to get it up and down from the overhead bins. It irritates me when I get hit on the head by others jumping up to take their over sized carry-ons out before the plane doors open. And yes the carry-ons are over sized if you have to slam it in the overhead a billion times to get the doors to close.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Horrible flight tonight. Stuck in the middle of the very back row with a rather large woman in the window seat taking up my space and a beefy guy on the aisle. I had a window seat but due to "operational reasons" they changed planes and reallocated everyone to other seats. And then it was an hour late. Not my usual airline but it is a work trip.

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Window if short flight. Aisle if travelling alone and on long journeys because I don't like squeezing in between seats to get out! And definitely don't like to sit near toilets!

7. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I had an experience like that, too. My friend had given me her free drink coupon book because it was set to expire before she'd be able to use it. I turned to the gentleman next to me and said, "Pardon me, but do you like adult beverages?" He said, "Why yes, I do!" Then a man sitting in front of us chimed in that he did, too. I wound up distributing the tickets amongst the last two rows and it turned into a party. That was the only time I ever wished a flight would last longer!

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Okay, so this isn't about flights- but I had a bunch of coupons for free hot dogs and beer at a hockey game and it took me asking FIVE people before I found someone who would take them (and then they were thrilled). Three of those people were actually in line and paid for their hot dog + beer. It was absolutely bizarre. Who turns down free beer? (Well, me, since I don't drink... but I took my free hot dog! I just couldn't eat 10 in one game!)

As for party flights- I once was on a flight that wasn't entirely full, and sitting near the front. A flight attendant came up to me and said "the lady in the back wants you to come sit with her." I had NO idea who this girl was. Turns out she was a friend of my fiancee (who I was going to visit) and she was also flying to the air force base to visit her boyfriend. We had a blast talking the whole time. But I had to give up my aisle for a window...

9. AnnieD

AnnieD Active Member

I was in the States a few weeks ago and on my flight back from Los Angeles to London (somewhere between 9 and 10 hours), the woman in front of me (who must have been about five feet tall) shoved her seat back literally as soon as the seatbelt sign went off and only lifted it during the time she was forced to for meals. To make things worse, I have pretty long legs for my height and my knees weren't far off the back of the seat - when she pushed it back they were touching. It was at this point that she decided that perhaps I was impeding her from getting her seat as far back as it would go and she started passive-aggressively ramming her seat continuously backwards into my knees as though I was somehow deliberately holding up her seat! I was ready to reach forward and strangle her by the end of the flight she was so selfish. It didn't help matters that she continuously complained loudly to her boyfriend (who spent most of the flight with ear plugs in, probably out of self defence) about how cramped and uncomfortable she was, which cracked me up since the poor bloke was at least six feet tall and was certainly having a harder time with leg room than she was.

10. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

My Dad is six foot six and there's no two ways about it - he NEEDS the exit row when he flies.

It's extraordinary how difficult it is for him to get it. He's no old guy either - he would DEFINITELY be able to open the door in an emergency!

We were flying back from Melbourne together one time, and no matter what we said to the staff, they would not change him to exit row. He was stuck in an aisle seat, legs folded up to his ears just about. As we were sitting there waiting for the passengers to get on, three little dumpy old ladies (seriously, they were five foot nothing if that!) trotted onto the plane and perched happily in the exit row. Dad almost exploded.

11. Aussie Willy

If you fly with Virgin you can at the time of booking pay extra for the exit row.

12. genegri

genegri Active Member

Just got back to east coast from Hawaii. For long hauls like that, definitely an aisle seat for me. However, when flying inter island routes within Hawaii, I find a window seat to be ideal. You get to see the volcanoes and coastlines from above without having to pay an outrageous price for helicopter rides.

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I prefer Row 39-40 because I can deal with my long legs !

14. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

We flew down with Tiger that year (when they still flew out of here) and paid extra for the exit row. But on Qantas, that's not an option.

(And personally, I'm not sure selling exit row seats is a very good idea. At all.)

Perhaps a solution would be a "special considerations" explanation box where you could type in your height and just go, need exit row. At the moment there's nothing like that on Qantas' booking forms; you're supposed to get to the airport a couple hours early and start hoping.

15. Aussie Willy

That is what website checkin is for.