Where do you like to sit on the plane?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

Interesting article. I struggle between wanting to get up easily, without bothering anyone, and wanting to look out the window. So sometimes I go for the emergency exit window seat - a partial view and get up whenever I want. I've also tried the ones the article refers to as favoured - just where they narrow at the back to two. Then you get extra space around your feet and beside. If I get lucky and bumped to executive class I don't care where I sit!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. znachki

znachki Active Member

Left side aisle seat for me. I've got long legs, so if I get an aisle seat I can stick them out occasionally. In fact, when my sister and I travel together, we get aisle seats accross the aise from each other.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

In a standard 3 aisle 3 configuration, one of the aisle seats. In one where there's center section, those aisles first: at most, there's an equal number of people I have to get up for, and I don't have to bother anyone to get up.

5. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Aisle seats for flights longer than 6hrs, so that I can use the bathroom and stretch/walk around without bothering the passengers. Window seats for shorter flights b/c I like the view and I don't need to use the bathroom and stretch as much. I avoid the middle seats b/c I still have to bother passengers and I don't get a view. There were a couple of times I got a whole row to myself so I was able to lie down and sleep. These were on the shorter flights though. I wish I was that lucky for the long flights.

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I always try to get a seat as far back in the plane as possible. I'm one of the last people to get onto the plane and one of the last to get off. It's so frustrating getting on and having to wait for the people who take FOREVER to put things into overhead bins and gets themselves settled. I just set my bag under my seat, sit down and I'm done. People who stand in the aisle and fiddle around are the WORST. And when getting off...there's no need to stand until the doors are open. Everyone at the front are all jostling each other to get off when you KNOW they will not be able to get off until the doors are opened in at LEAST ten minutes. Plus getting off quickly once the doors open means NOTHING because you're going to wait for half an hour in baggage claim for your luggage to show up anyway. I sit at the very back and relax while sometimes watching the STUPID people up front doing their STUPID things. :rofl:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Aisle! I have to pee. A lot.

8. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

The most miserable I've ever been on a plane was in a seat just in front of the bathroom. The flight wasn't that long, but I declare, everybody on that plane had to use the toilet. Every time the door opened the smell of disinfectant came wafting out. Better than some other bathroom smells, I guess, but still unpleasant.

9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Aisle if I'm alone. I'll take the middle if I'm with my husband. I'm short so have plenty of legroom :). But I get claustrophobic on the little planes where I can't stand up under the bulk head.

10. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Yeah, that's why I wouldn't want the very back of the plane. Don't want to be too close to the bathroom smells. Other than that and the wing seats, I am fine sitting anywhere.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here.

12. kalamalka

kalamalka Member

I prefer window, both for the view and because I don't like to have to keep getting up for other people. And toward the front of the plane so I can get off sooner (2nd or 3rd row of economy is my favourite - it's in front of the wing so good for a view, and whatever "service" there is is sooner). Of course, the best place is anywhere up front in business or first - not that I'd ever pay for it but I've had the occasional upgrade . . .

13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

First class! :D

14. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Yup, another pee-er here. When people ask why I just answer, "Mother to four, mother to FOUR!"

15. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Aisle for a day flight, so I can run for the door when the seatbelt sign goes off. Window for redeyes so I can snuggle up with the armrest and fuselage ;)

O-

16. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

i actually research the plane before I book to ensure it has a layout that I like.. for example our trip to Europe in June I made sure that the plane had 2 row seats - as its an overnight flight and I like the window and both my daughter/hubby like the aisle - so when we went to Italy hubby and I made sure plane had 2 seat rows and ditto for trip with my daughter in June.. I also make sure the plane has tv's infront of us at the back of the seat of the person in front.. so I can click about and find shows/movies in case I can't sleep.. I also like right at the back - as closer to the washroom but not right at the back as don't want people lining up beside me.. for our local flights (less than 5 hrs) I actually prefer to sit right up front as I only take carry on and want on and off quick..I don't mind the aisle seat for that..

17. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

I can't figure it out!! So many pros/cons to each.

I like the exit row... way more leg room. But then sometimes the seats don't recline and there's no arm rest etc.
    The window seat.. you can lean your head against the window to attempt sleeping better... but have to walk over people to get up.

18. madm

madm Active Member

I just booked flights for my daughter to travel to South Africa, and thank God the plane is an Airbus 340-600 that has 2-4-2 seating. It's perfect having a pair of seats for her and her friend next to the window! The leg from New York to Johannesburg is over 15 hours long.

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like the window. last time i was forced to sit in the middle, after 2 drinks i told the guy by the window who was trying to overdose on coffee that i would cut him if he tried to pee one more time.

20. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I always loved to sit by a window so I could look out. The owner of a corporation I once worked for had a six-seater single engine plane. There were a lot of conventions in New Orleans back then, and I would go with my boss and his wife in the plane. He was a great pilot and there was never a problem when he landed the plane. He took us through a cloud one time so we could see how it felt. It was very rough compared to the jet planes like American Airlines, but I loved it!

21. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Window near the front, but I don't mind aisle if it's a short-ish flight. I HATE having to wait to get off.

I've flown a bunch of puddle-jumpers that had two seats on one side and ONE seat on the other. I always choose the single seat!

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Aisle for any flight where I'm staying awake. Window if I plan to sleep. My favorite row is the one two rows ahead of the emergency exits. I can still adjust the seat back and it's not too far from the front washroom.

23. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I'm a little surprised at people preferring to sit in the back of the plane. I think it's noisy and I always feel claustrophobic in the back rows. I prefer to sit in front of the wings and although I like the window best, I'm fine with the aisle.

24. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I am such a nervous flyer. I hate the takeoffs, and I don't want to look out the window at all until we're practically on the ground. Landings don't bother me like takeoffs do. I always want an aisle seat as close to the front as possible!

25. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Window seat in the back row for me, thanks! Mostly because, especially on domestics, no-one else likes to sit there, so sometimes (as was the case when I flew to Melbourne this year), you get the whole row to yourself and can spread out a bit! :D

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

The aisle seats make me more claustrophobic than the middle seat - people banging their carryons into the overhead bins, the service cart and people constantly up and down to the bathroom, the picking up of trash, and then the battle to get carryons and out of the plane. At least in the middle seat, I only have to carve out my personal space once in my mind - I know where the edges are and can adjust in my mindset.
    I prefer a window seat because of the extra space between the seat and the wall of the plane, but don't like to look out the window. In the back of the plane, I am usually not pushed out to the aisle because someone needs to get out and the baby/toddler cries are projected forward so I don't get bother as much by that noise plus I don't have someone kicking the back of my seat :)

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

If it's a two hours or less flight then I love the window seat, especially if I know that the scene outside will be fantastic. On overseas flight, I got to have an aisle seat, and I don't even care if it's right by the bathroom. I'm one of those annoying people that get up multiple times during a flight because I cannot sleep, cannot sit still for a long time and usually need to pee often. If I'm stuck between seats during long flight then my mind keep thinking about how I'm going to get to the bathroom to pee, LOL.

28. madm

madm Active Member

The worst seat I've ever had on a plane was the last row. It abutted a wall and I could not recline the seat at all. The person in front of me did recline and thus I had very little room. My head was shoved forward by the stupid headrest which does not fit short people correctly, and I had a terrible neckache by the end of the flight. The second worst seat on an airplane is the one in front of the emergency exit row because that seat also does not recline.

I encountered a situation once when in the last row (when they used to serve meals) where they ran out of meals! I've also seen where there is only one meal choice left. So it is better to sit further up in the plane to get better food choices.

Before selecting a seat on a long flight, I usually look at the seat map and plan to get a window and as much leg room and carryon room as possible. Sometimes there are rows with fewer seats to accomodate curvature of the plane, and you can get a bit more unused space around those seats.

29. madm

madm Active Member

The best seat on international carriers is an aisle seat nearest the galley. It's the most convenient for getting additional free glasses of wine during the flight!

30. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

I usually prefer a window seat. If I was alone, I'd probably just sit there and wait for the impatient rude people to get the heck off the plane before I even tried to stand up.

I remember traveling with Mom one time. She's frail, has had a stroke, and (at the time) used a cane (Now of course she's pretty much wheelchair bound). Anyway, because of her condition, we qualified for early boarding. You know, the ones who need extra time to get into their seats. Since Mom couldn't really walk far back into the plane, we had seats near the front. So, I sat down and scooted over to the window seat, then Mom sat down on the aisle seat as I moved to help her scoot over to the middle. Some young girl came rushing up, and when Mom sat down on the aisle seat, she actually started to climb over Mom to get to the middle seat (which was pre-assigned to Mom on our tickets). I ignored the girl, and made sure she heard me tell Mom how I'd help her scoot into her seat. As soon as Mom moved over, the girl plopped herself into the aisle seat. When we landed, the plane wasn't even at the gate when she bounced out of the seat and scurried to the exit. If she hadn't been alone and carrying nothing (not even a backpack), I would have wondered if she was on the Amazing Race or something. I always wondered what qualified her for early boarding. She sure looked physically fit to me!