Where do Samuelson/Bates fit in next year?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenna, May 1, 2011.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Emily and Evan enjoyed a trip to the Olympics in 2010 as the #3 American dance team, but his injury forced them to take an entire season off. Assuming they return in the 2011-12 season, where do you think they will fit in on the totem poll of US teams? Mind you, they have yet to compete a short dance in competition.

Do they replace Chock and Zuerlein as #3 or will they have to settle for fourth best?
    Or do they shock everyone with a top two or first place finish?
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

They will :kickass:! :cheer2:
  3. millipied

millipied New Member

nowhere, unless D/W retire.
  4. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I think C/Z will lose out to S/B and K/G-S next season. In fact, they pretty much were passed by K/G-S this season, but for one fall at nationals.

I think S/B will be team #3, barring recuperation problems.
  5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Not accurate. K/G-S were fifth, and were 16 points behind the third place C/Z. Had they not fallen, they would have finished in 4th ahead of the Hubbells.
  6. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

They fit with the Sp/Z group ;)
    I hope they quickly rebound and are among the three National medalists. I missed them quite a bit this year: their unison, extension and personality.
  7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

C&Z did better than expected at worlds, and more importantly they are with Shpilband.

I don't see the USFSA dumping them unless S&B have a stellar fall season, (Do they get GP events next year?), or C&Z have an awful season.

No way in hell they're beating the Shibs.
  8. millipied

millipied New Member

Until Zueva's students competing, S/B can only hope for miracle.
  9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:respec:
  10. shah

shah Well-Known Member

don't forget that Samuelson and Bates also moved to Z/S camp :p (after the 2009/2010 season). at least I haven't heard about any other changes.
  11. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

IN NO TECHNIK here, but I don't see any reason why S/B wouldn't be neck and neck with the Shibs, assuming S/B are able to restart exactly at the point where they left off before Evan's injury.

Also, any news on whether Evan is all recuperated and back on the ice?
  12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think they'll definitely be behind the Shibs and Davis/White but they may be able to beat Chock/Zuerlein for the third spot. Although, as someone else mentioned, Kriengkrairut and Giulietti-Schmitt might be a factor without a fall, and I'm not sure what the Hubbells are doing. I don't think Samuelson/Bates would have trouble beating the Hubbells now though.
  13. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

He-Hubbell isn't skating anymore. She is skating with Zach Donohue.
  14. Allen

Allen New Member

I think the Shibs may have a lock on second in the US, but I feel like S/B can easily pass C/Z. It's sad though, because to me, the most interesting US couple right now is K/G-S. I just wish they could get on the technical level of the other teams.
  15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I would expect them to be the third ranked team, below D/W and the Shibs.
  16. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm pretty sure they'll be third, but I think they'll fight with C/Z more than the other two teams.
  17. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

S & B- likely into 3rd after D&W and the Shibs.

Count me as another fan of K & G-S. I really need to learn to pronounce their names.
  18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Well, the Shibs just won a world medal while Samuelson and Bates have not been close to the podium.
  19. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Sadly, I think they're toast :fragile:
  20. Conga

Conga New Member

Of course it depends on Evan's recovery from his injury, but I'm curious as to why you say that. I guess I am just not a fan of C/Z, but I can't imagine S/B not moving ahead of them. As for the Shibs and S/B, well, I think that will be interesting. Again, this all depends on Evan's ability to train full out.
  21. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

I say that because they will likely never pass Shibs :( . I have a feeling the USFSA will support the younger teams and dump S/B.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I haven't heard about him training again, but he has tweeted recently that they'll perform at the Skate for Hope charity show in Columbus in June.

I hope he's fully recovered because I like this team and am eager to see them back competing next season
  23. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb New Member

I am anxiously awaiting their return to competitions :cheer2:

I see them moving ahead of C&Z back into the 3rd spot. They were a great team before S&Z's camp. I can't wait to see their improvements. :)
  24. mia joy

mia joy New Member

That sounds so crazy. Emily and Evan are such a young team themselves! I mean, they're 20 and 22, that's still nothing for a dance team! They've been in seniors for what, 2 seasons? Madison and Greg are more or less the same age, even Alex Shibutani is 20 as well. Maia is the only real "baby" out there, but in reality all these teams, even Davis/White are still very young, so I really don't think age is gonna be a factor here. In fact, all of them could keep competing for two more Olympics and their age would still be normal for a dance team. So I guess we're just gonna have to wait for Emily and Evan's return and see, but to be honest I don't see what the Shibs have and S/B don't.
  25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Some reason to believe it won't simply depend on what the teams do on the ice?

S/B ended up ranking higher over N/B rather consistently even though S/B were (imo) much more boring, but you could see that their technical quality was just a lot higher.

It isn't as if the Shibutanis racked up big scores nationally while not doing nearly so well internationally -- they've been racking up high scores all year, from all kinds of panels of judges. I'm sure they would have done better in prior years internationally had the height discrepancy not posed such problems for their skating. Now that she's grown some more that isn't a problem, and their scores reflect that.

I'm less inclined to follow the notion that the USFSA has some vested interest in picking winners and losers outside of what happens on competition ice. Heck, there were people who insisted that they'd never allow Czisny to become national champion again after she imploded in prior years, and guess what -- there she is.
  26. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

S/B were given boring music and programs for the previous two seasons, and that held them back. Let's wait to see how they do under new coaching before writing them off.
  27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Look, like Shibs is now on there way to stars. Dont know, what will be with S-B now. I really love this team, but look, like they will be only third at Nationals next season.
  28. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Loves me some KriGS. :swoon:

But :kickass: for S&B, who have the goods to someday be on the Worlds podium, and who I hope will be fully recovered in and get great programs for the 2011-2012 season.

Therein [to get to the thread question], I think S&B will challenge to be the USA #2, but due to the Shibs' 2011 Worlds success and equally impressive talents, not quite reach it for at least the '11-'12 season. ;)
  29. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

IKR. I remember the days when most top dance teams were 24+ How times have changed; CoP has really shook dance up - just look at worlds; all the changing of positions, and the Shibs coming 3rd at their first worlds. Almost never happened under 6.0
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

S/B should be in the hunt for 3rd place at Nationals, assuming that Evan makes a good recovery.
  31. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

I think it will be a battle for the silver medal come next January at the US Nationals with the Shibutanis.
  32. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting for sure. The Shibs have been very well received by the judges this season and I imagine they will receive very nice PCS marks at Nationals next season, especially since they are now World medalists.

I think Sam/Bates will really have to prove themselves on the GP in order to compete with S/S for the silver at Nationals.
  33. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

That will be hard, as they probably are going to get only one GP event---Skate America. They are in the top 24 on the World Ranking list, but they are not on the Seasons Best list which has been the qualifying criteria for all except host picks.
  34. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I didn't realize. That's probably going to make things harder for them. Perhaps they can get a Senior B competition in the fall?
  35. smartblade

smartblade New Member

It will depend on the programs really. besides davis and white for sure, i think its a race between the Shibutani's, C/Z and S/B for the other two spots... the type of material can make or break you. They all train together so its all up to their component scores/GOE's, because working with the Z/S the technical levels will all be the same.

Also think that the SD is more specific this year as it's a Latin Combo which couples do you think can interpret this the best...
  36. newbatgirl

newbatgirl New Member

FWIW, SamBates do Latin very well. Well, we'll just have to wait and see, there are so many factors we can't predict.

How much will Maia continue to grow? How will SamBates rebound after so much time off the ice? How will Alex and Maia handle the Latin dances, etc. Will Chock and Zuerlien overtake them both, shocking us all?

That said, I'm just so thrilled to have so many awesome American dance teams to root for.
  37. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Without disrespecting the Shibs, I just want to point out that being a World medalist in 2007 (B&A) and 2008 (K&N) did not mean they became unbeatable. Several teams would surpass both teams in the ensuing years.

Although I foresee D&W and V&M battling it out for a little while longer, the battle for third will be a huge fight amongst many, many teams--the two Canadians, the two Russians, the French, three Americans, the Italians. Am I missing anyone else?

S&B have an excellent shot at going all the way to the top. Although not without deficiencies, their qualities are easily identifiable.
  38. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

S/B skate with deep and long edges, and the US and international judges love big skating. So, I think they might jump into third nationally. But internationally, I guess perhaps only top 10.
  39. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I think too many people are making too much of the Shibs' bronze medal. It should be celebrated yes, and good for them for taking advantage of a great opportunity, but I'm sure the USFS is aware that had I/K, B/S, C/P, P/B performed as expected and the Kerrs, they would have been much lower. (Own personal theory--had W/P skated later on the night of the SD, they'd have made it to the final group, and their would have been two Canadians instead of two Americans on that podium.)

So really, I don't think the Shibs are that far ahead of S/B, if they're ahead at all. It's certainly not insurmountable, which is good for the long term of US ice dance. I hope the Shibs, S/B, KG/S, C/Z, and whoever's coming up the pike continue the groundwork laid by B/A.
  40. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

A World medal can do a lot for your PCS scores...I think we all know that. ;)

And I disagree that the Shibs only won bronze by "default." All teams were relatively clean in that SD and they were placed 4th. Sure, they would've been 4th overall if P/B didn't mess up, but that's the nature of the sport.