When you find those pants that fit ......

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

do you buy them regardless?

Reason I ask is in the last couple of months I have found some shoes that fitted perfectly and were very nice. I brought them. And today of all things I found some pants that were so comfortable, but they also fitted my waist (the big thing with pants for me). And actually looked good. They were stretch fabric. Brought two pairs at $115 per pair. The shoes also cost a bit too.

I feel a bit guilty for spending money when I should be saving (seriously I have to save for my unit that will be built in August). Still I need new clothes and I just don't buy for the sake of it. But sometimes when it is really hard to find clothes and shoes that work you have to get them because you know you are going to wear them. Also they are not cheap, but they are quality and will get my monies worth.

Does that all make sense? Anyone else the same?

2. sbmeagain

sbmeagain Active Member

Of course it does. If you feel good and look good, money well spent! It also saves time, but keep looking for new accessories to keep them fresh!

3. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

Ahh buyer's remorse.. been there haha. I'm very good at rationalizing a purchase:

"Of course we need this Wok honey.. you like to make stirfries and it's awkward in the one you have because it's so small! I'm sure it was fine just for you but it's not big enough for the two of us."

4. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Hah! I can do you one better AussieWilly. I'm 5'1 on a good day and have a MUCH smaller waist than I do hips. My hips are ginormous, so normally I have to make a choice. But every once in a while, I will find that magical pair of pants, and no matter what the price, I buy two in every color.

But, once I have them, I won't buy pants forever and will wear the good ones out, literally. The trick money wise is once you have that perfect pair of pants or shoes to not then go out and buy imperfect or almost-perfect paints/shoes just to be buying something.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Most reputable fashion sources recommend spending a bit more for basics, and less for seasonal items and accessories. The pants will last several years if you take care of them, so it's cheaper to buy one pair at $115 than to buy a new pair of $60 pants every year.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

When I was shopping at Tractor Supply last fall (go ahead and laugh) I decided I needed a new pair of jeans, so I tried a few on and finally settled on a pair of Wranglers. I HATE JEANS. After months of wearing this pair pretty much whenever I wasn't wearing riding, work, or dance clothes (and sometimes I even wore them to ride!) when we went back a couple weeks ago I bought three more pairs. My parents, who were with me this time, didn't find this at all unreasonable. If you find a solid basic that works for you, stock up!

7. Aussie Willy

I did that last year with jeans. After not finding jeans to fit for years, I finally found a brand last year that made jeans for women with a waist. Once I found one pair, I managed to find another. They are so good. I would love to get a pair of brown jeans in the same brand and size, but haven't been able to find them.

Matryeshka - That totally makes sense. Having a waist that is about 12" narrower than my hips, I totally understand.

They funny thing is this shop I got them from is one I visit every couple of weeks (have been going in there for years so the staff know me and are really nice and very helpful and I receive their mailouts). And they don't care if you don't buy something because they know you keep going back in. They have great clothes that you won't find anywhere else. Usually I don't find something I like, but it is worth visiting for the chance that they will have something you will. I have a bit of money coming in this month so later on I will go back and see if they have another pair of pants that will fit me.

I took my mum there a while ago and she ended up walking out with a new shirt and pair of pants. She has told me she has since worn them quite a lot.

8. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Yes, and as many pairs as I can afford. Companies change styles so often that if something fits well I will buy enough to last a few years! :)

9. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone who said stock up and feel good about it. I have a hard time finding pants that fit too, but for the opposite reason. I have a 26" waist, and most companies seem to think that equals hips around 35-36", but my hips are only 31", so most of the time I can get them to fit in the waist and be too big in the hips or vice versa. Usually my best bet is to shop in the junior section since they're cut a little better for me, but all those clothes can be kinda tacky. :shuffle:

Ozzisk8tr and (deleted member) like this.
  10. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

I too agree with everyone else here... if you find a good basic, stock up! I haven't worn jeans forever because I always have problem with the fit (if it fits in the butt/thighs, it's waaaay too big for my waits. I've become pretty good at altering dress pants to fit, but jeans are all another piece of cake!), and I happened to find a pair that was good... I went back the next day to buy two more, and then dyed one almost black, ond just slightly darker and one was bleached slightly lighter the orginal hue which was not really perfect for me... and these will last a while!

11. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Once you find something you really like, if can you afford to, it's good to stock up. If you don't you may not be able to find it later because clothing lines are always changing/discontinuing items...

12. jenniferlyon

jenniferlyon Well-Known Member

I was digging through some bags of old clothes and I found an pair of made-in-the-USA Levi's 501 jeans that I bought way back in 1991. I tried them on and they fit sooooo much better than any pants I've bought in the last decade. If I could find a new pair of Levi's that fit like these old ones, I would shell out a lot more $$$ than I am normally willing to spend. I am sick of low-rise, baggy-butt pants that always feel like they're going to fall off.

13. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

It's better to spend a lot of money on something that fits--you'll get more use of out it. If you spend less on something that doesn't fit, you might never wear it, and that's money down the drain.

Thank you, Stacy and Clinton. ;)

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am resigned to endless alterations, always having to nip the waist or hem. Finding the pants that fit perfectly is a thrill. Go for it!

15. lash

lash New Member

I feel your pain. I too used to shop in the juniors section. 28" waist and 34" hips but then I started cycling seriously. Now my thighs are about 23" I can't even get nice jeans that fit my thighs. Even a 32" waist isn't big enough in the thigh and HUGE everywhere else :(

I can wear a 4 or 6 in a skirt but am relegated to the plus sizes for my pants :(

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Buy what you love -- they will surely have changed it if you wait to buy more much later.

17. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

This is something I've wondered about: why do cyclists have such skinny calves? I live in cycling central in Colorado, and everywhere I turn are these guys with impossibly skinny calves pedaling furiously along in their lycra outfits. I do no understand why they don't bulk up.

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

This is why I don't try on pants unless I'm ready to buy them. :lol:

But yes, if the pants fit perfectly, I'm buying them. If you take good care of them, they can last years and years. I finally threw away a pair of jeans that I've had since high school, because they were developing holes in the crotch. :eek: This was before vanity sizing and I magically went down 3 sizes in the same brand, that's how old they were! :rofl:

As long as you don't keep on buying pants, a splurge every once in a while (especially for stuff you KNOW you'll use) is a good investment.

19. Aussie Willy

I am wearing one of the pairs today at work. So comfortable!!

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, that's a good thing !
    I rarely buy clothes. But when I try something that is really good on me, I buy it.
    There are very few clothes that are made for you !

21. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Levis does sometimes discontinue old models of jeans, but if you know what number those jeans are, you can look them up on the Levis website, find out if they still make them, and find out where to buy. For example, my brother-in-law only wears one model of Levi's jeans, which are from a million years ago, but still sold at JC Penny.

22. GarrAarghHrumph

I live now in a region that has a Tractor Supply. Anyone who's actually been in that store would not laugh. They've got great quality clothing - farmish clothing, practical, but not unfashionable within its genre; and their boots rock.

They also carry really good gloves in all sizes, and very cute toys.

23. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I mostly shop for things for my horse (I will be so glad when chick season is over--I am not equipped for chickens) like sups, sprays, shampoo, grooming tools, but work gloves, boots, jeans, shirts...though Ariats are STILL too expensive there.

I have to be dragged from the Breyer models, though. I have an addiction problem.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

We shop for work stuff - gloves, those padded work coats... but I always try on the cute boots. Never buy them, but I like them.