When Will Plushenko Withdraw from the Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vagabond, Jan 21, 2014.

When Will PlushenBko Withdraw from the Olympics

Poll closed Feb 4, 2014.
  1. Before the Team Meeting for the Team Event

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Before the Team Event SP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Before the Team Event FS

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Before the Team Meeting for the Individual Events

58 vote(s)
    44.3%
  5. Before the Men's SP

28 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. Before the Men's FS

7 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. He's fragile; he'll withdraw during one of his skates

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. He's literally made of steel; he not withdraw

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Plushenko has been named to the Russian Olympic Team. Most posters here appear to expect him to withdraw at some point.

How long will the duct tape last?

And the question is harder than one might think.

The Plushenko case: To skate or not to skate?

Just so it's clear, choosing "Before the Men's" SP would mean doing it after the last possible deadline for substitutions. "Before the Team Meeting for the Individual Events" may leave the door open for a possible substitution. Or it might not.

:EVILLE:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

OMG - what fun. I am not voting but perhaps I will start a poll - How quickly will your poll get shut down? :lol:

3. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Before the individual event even begins. Even if he skates surprisingly well in the Team Event and helps Russia wins he knows he cant touch Chan or Hanyu with a 10 foot pole in the individual, and that he will also lose to any of Fernandez, Abbott, Ten, Takahashi if they happen to skate well.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

5. Kunstrijdster

Kunstrijdster New Member

Most likely after the team event, to be replaced by another Russian skater. The icenetowrk article interprets ISU comm. 1844 wrongly when it writes "since the replacement skater should already "be part of the accredited delegation on site," as communication 1844 states." That passage, however, refers to the exchange of skaters during the team event.

6. Vagabond

Cross-posting from another thread:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

Probably atleast one of them will which means no medal for Plushy (Chan and Hanyu would beat him even with several falls should they happen), and knowing that alone will lead to the injury WD from the individual competition. Anyway Plushenko is no sure thing to skate well at this point either. Just look at this competitions the last couple years.

8. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

:watch:

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I don't want to jinx him, so I say : never ! ;)

Finnice and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Vagabond

It just occurred to me I didn't leave open a few other possibilities, suchas that he won't qualify for the Men's FS. :duh:

(Not that that's likely to happen.)

Now that he's in, I want him to skate in all four segments, but I have a suspicion the duct tape won't hold out forever.

:watch:

11. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Hasn't he already hinted/said in an interview he'd withdraw after the TE? It won't be a surprise. Just expected. :rolleyes:

I expect to see Kovtun in the Mens individual event. :cheer2:

12. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

13. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Gotta love the drama! :watch: I mean, even if Plushenko bombs big time and doesn't even win a team medal, there will always be "the Plushenko case" to remember. What a treat :D

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Pretty much. There will be :drama: in any event.

15. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I think after the team event would be a good guess,
    However, I chose that he won't withdraw, Go plush ! ;)

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Whenever he wants! :D

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

18. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I voted before the individual event meeting, since this is what Plushenko has planned at least since Nationals. Personally, I hope he skates the whole thing. Nothing against Kovtun (or whoever is the Alternate) but Plushenko is, well, Plushenko. BTW, he is made of titanium, not steel.

19. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Sounds about right ... I heard they used titanium because they weren't going to make spare parts.

20. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

No retreat, no surrender-Evgeni skates it all and wins. Again. :-D

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

He won't. Just to spite all of you. ;)

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

if Russia wins a medal in the team competition and Plushenko wins a bronze in the individual (of course you all will SCREAM!!!!), he will have 5 Olympic medals in FS. I think that may be unprecedented. I am not sure what happened in the early days when there were just figures- may be someone (Grafstrom?) won 5 Olympic medals? I may check skatabase later to find out, but that takes time and I have a busy week.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Grafstrom as four (three golds, one silver). If Plushenko is able to win two bronze (or two medals, of course), he'll be the most medalled Olympic figure skater ever.

24. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Plushenko winning a medal in the individual event (if he actually skates that), would mean everyone else has messed up. To win a medal he's going to need help and lots of it.

If everything is judged fairly.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I'm in shock

26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Well, a lot can happen between now and the Olympics. I won't believe anybody is going to show up until they put themselves on the ice. Frankly, I'm focused on the dance competition because I don't think I have ever enjoyed a figure skating experience more than I have Charlie and Meryl. If Plushenko is the recipient of corrupt "secret skate" backroom shenanigans, it's a shame. If he had gone to Euros and at least done well, I'd say good for him. But it all seems so.....sleazy.

And, the number of medals accumulated does not equate memorable skates for me. I honestly can't recall a single Plushenko program outside of the 2002 SLC silver, which was fabulous. I really, truly used to like him so much! Oh well...I hope all will go well for him and for everyone on the team.

27. Vagabond

I may have missed something, but I think you have it the wrong way around. He said at one point that he would let someone else do the Team Event but that he wanted to participate in the Men's competition. The problem for him was that, since Russia has only one entry into the individual competition, the rules wouldn't allow for that unless the other man had a medical excuse to withdraw after the Team Event.

28. JJS5056

JJS5056 Active Member

I'm sorry you have had to keep explaining this ad nauseum because of shoddy journalism and lack of reading comprehension.

All that the ISU said was that Russia can't swap Plushenko for Kovtun in between the SP and LP of the TE; if an injury does occur, they have until February 10th to plead their case for a substitution into the individual event.

29. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I don't have links or quotes on me, but I think this is backwards. I thought that after nationals, during the whole "I will name Kovtun my heir in only 3 years or more" period, that he had said he would do the TEAM, then withdraw to let a younger person do individual; this was the whole idea that got people off on the fact that he wanted the "easier" other Olympic medal (team), and that he didn't want to face and lose individually to Chan, Javier, 3 Japanese, Ten, and possibly Reynolds and one or both Americans.

30. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

That's the way I remember it too.