When is a celebrity entitled to be left alone?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Cate Blanchett is around Melbourne at the moment and actually took her kids skating. People were asking for photos which she was refusing because of her kids. She wasn't rude but really just saying no.

However people seem to think that she should be accommodating because she is a "star".

I have no problem with her drawing the line. She is on holidays and I think entitled to have a normal life for that time.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

How rude can people be! Chances are they aren't even her fans particularly, they just want to put the photo up on Facebook and say "Look at this!" A true fan would respect the star's privacy.

I think celebrities should do a certain amount of activities to meet fans and be accommodating because their true fans do support them and deserve some opportunities to meet or see their celebrity crushes. That's a part of being a celebrity.

However, not on an anytime basis! When a celebrity is on a vacation with their children for heaven's sake-leave them alone! I'll bet most celebrities are not anywhere near as attractive or interesting as their press machines make them out to be anyway. Leave them to your fantasy image of them. Reality can be depressing.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think anytime they are not officially 'being a celebrity' at a conference or event set up specifically for that purpose, they should be totally left alone. No paps, no fans bugging them, etc. Our culture is far too celebrity-obsessed. It's ridiculous.
  4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think certain careers basically come with fame and celebrity, whether one wants them or not - in some fields, if you are successful, you will be well known, and your life subject to a degree of scrutiny that many would be uncomfortable with. And while people go into such careers knowing that this is a possibility, it doesn't mean being famous was their goal, or that they should be compelled to be on display, perform or be a celebrity 24/7. Outside of more official engagements, it should be up to them how much interaction they want to have with fans and the general public.

The children of famous people certainly did not set out to be in the public eye, so unless they choose otherwise, they should be left alone.

Or in other words - more power to Cate Blanchett for making her private time with her kids just that.
  5. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

When they ask to be left alone.
  6. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

^^This.
  7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This should be the case.
    However, people/press are rarely that respectful.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

All celebrities deserve their privacy.

Unless they have ever heard the word "Scientololgy" in their lifetimes. Then all bets are off. :p
  9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

In theory, yes. But you can't turn public attention on and off when it suits you to do so. I'm not saying this is the way things should be in an ideal world, but if you spend most of your professional life posing in front of cameras at events you have no professional reason to be at, and if you use the publicity machine to spew out irrelevant news about yourself (e.g. where you shop, who you went to a club with) - then you shouldn't be surprised if people won't leave you alone when you want to be.

Having said that, Cate Blanchett is definitely not one of the stars who is a publicity ho, and if she is asking people nicely to leave her alone, they should respect that.
  10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Now, now Peter. Play nice. ;)
  11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I figure the line should be defined by how the celebrity was able to get to the place where the fans are. If, like I assume Cate B, is on a private vacation and is out with her kids like any other private person, then she should be left alone. If it was celebrity power that allowed access, ie, jumping the two hour line up at Disneyland or going to a movie premier, something that a non celebrity wouldn't get, then the celebrity should expect to do a bit of work for the privilege. It drives me nuts when celebrities get angry at being photographed at movie premiers. If you don't want to deal with fans, go to the afternoon matinee on a weekday. That said, there is asking for autographs and photos and there is being mauled by sea of photographers. The former should be expected and accommodated, the later is unacceptable. Just MOH, of course.
  12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

When they're not out doing press and publicity, they should be left alone. I wouldn't dare go up to a celebrity if they were out doing something that everyone else does. They're people too, and deserve to be treated like a normal person.

My friend who worked at Disneyland did say that they have behind-the-scenes secret paths throughout the park to take uber-famous celebrities through (like Oprah), for their own and everyone else's safety. That's kind of sad, but if the accommodations are there, might as well make everyone's lives easier.

I know that many people are fascinated by what celebrities are like (or look like) in regular life, but frankly, all the "magic" is in the PR and the styling. You or I or anyone else would look a million bucks if you had a team of 10 people do you up. Cate Blanchett's acting magic is not gonna come off on you like fairy dust if you take a picture with her.
  13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Asking for an autograph or a photograph from a celeb in a non-work environment is hardly the rudest thing a person has ever done. The celeb has a right to decline, but I don't have a problem if the "fan" ends up thinking she sucks.
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah they were being rude. They should respect her wishes.
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Was Ms. Blanchette wearing a sign that said "I WILL NOT SIGN AUTOGRAPHS!!! I HAVE BABIES!!!"? Until the person comes up and asks, they don't know what her wishes would be.
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I would leave any star alone to respect their privacy including John Travolta ( who I have liked since the 70s) and Tom Cruise.

Carol
  17. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I know we gossip about them, but, that is just here. I don't even talk about them in my real life.
    If they are not "On Stage" as it were, they are intitled to complete privacy IMO.
    I hope Alex Baldwin smacks a few more of those vultures.
  18. milanessa

I winked at Alexei Yagudin once when I was leaving the elevator. I'm pretty sure that's the most intrusive I've ever been. :lol:
  19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol:
  20. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Growing up in Western CT, there were a lot of celebs in the area; Arthur Miller, Bette Davis, Victor Borge, Marilyn monroe, etc. And we treated them all as regular people, that's why they liked the area.
  21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I would wink at Alexei regardless of the situation or if I even hoped he'd see me!
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

That's sad. Imagine for a moment you'd have numerous people asking your for an autograph at every moment of your life. Would you like it? Would go along with it? Being interrupted everywhere, no matter what were you doing? At a restaurant in the middle of a dinner, on a date, at a party, walking down the street, at a doctor's, shopping, at a beach, everywhere. I'm sure it'd get old very soon. And tiresome and finally annoying.
  23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If people were polite, I have no problem with it. I'd rather be asked for an autograph than be winked at, to be honest.
  24. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Unless it's say, the 2011 European Ladies Champion, Sarah Meier, who was at the Icehouse recently (whilst in Australia for a week studying), I'd say no. Sarah was happy to have a group photo taken with some of the kids at the rink, which was nice.

An indicator is that the actress was with her children doing a family activity, not promoting her latest film. Several local tv stars swim at my local pool from time to time. But I'm happy to say, people do give them their privacy.

Movie stars are usually very cautious about having photos of their children taken (even if their kids aren't the primary focus)

Unfortunately, even though it has nothing to do with their job, interest in a star's private life comes with the territory. We only have to look at our fascination with skaters and what they do away from the ice.
  25. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I agree, but even if people are polite, it can be tiring and intrusive to be asked over and over again to sign, to say hi to someone's friend on the phone, etc. etc. And often people aren't polite - they will ask e.g. when the celeb is trying to eat dinner, or do something else like catch a plane, get in a cab, or whatever.
  26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Okay, so impolite people suck. Especially for celebrities!
  27. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I subtly took a picture of his ass once but it was a post show meet and greet so that's okay, right ;)

If celebrities are with their kids or appear busy at all I wouldn't approach them.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Celebrities who are publicity hounds and court celebrity status should expect to be under scrutiny at all times. Paparazzi make a lot of money off of them, and give that wealth is a big component of celebrity, play a fundamental role in celebrity's life.
  29. milanessa

:lol: I promise I'll never wink at you.
    manhn and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Using skaters as an example, it is common to ask famous skaters for autographs and pictures at rinks, however, never while they are skating- that would be rude.

For an actress, I would say if she was actively participating in the activity with her kids, it would be rude to interrupt. If it was "down time", you could ask politely, but if she wasn't doing publicity work, it wouldn't be rude for her to (politely) say no. However, part of the job description of "high paid actress" is celebrity, and celebrity comes with the expectation of being available to the public. If you are only acting for the art, and not the money and fame, there are plenty of low paying playhouses that will have you.
  31. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything horribly wrong about approaching her in a public place -- I wouldn't do it, but that's me -- but people need to respect that she has every right to refuse autographs or photos. I've seen what happens when celebrities get approached in public places; the minute they sign one autograph, everyone else in the restaurant wants one, and the celebrity doesn't get another moment's peace.
  32. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I was fortunate to be on speaking terms with a BIG STAR when a relative was appearing in the same production. We actually talked about it and that person's rules were:
    - No, when with the children.
    - No, while eating.
    - No, while obviously trying to get "normal person" errands done like banking, grocery shopping, or pumping gas.

Other times seemed okay. I got a lot of "hate it, but it comes with the territory."
  33. minx

minx New Member

A family member is in the group of friends of a really big star. It's a life I would never want to live. Ever. People think the star owes them something and are very intrusive.
  34. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Personally, I think a celebrity is entitled to be left alone whenever they want to. No matter if they normally live their lives in a very public way and cater to the paps. No matter what they are doing.

Now, is it smart to not be accessible to the public in certain situations? Probably not. But the question said "entitled" and they are always entitled.
    numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  35. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Without fans, celebrities would not be able to have the lifestyle they do. So sign a friggin autograph. :lol:

I do think papparazzi following stars around is a whole different issue and there should be some sort of laws protecting their right to privacy against those people.
  36. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Without disagreeing, I read an interesting article a few months ago about how some stars avoid the paparazzi and how it CAN be done...if they want to. It's quite an interesting read and it actually used Cate Blanchett as someone who's kept her private life more or less private.
  37. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Yes, aforementioned BIG STAR went out all the time without being harassed. The secret is making the pictures so easy to get and so "normal" that they were worthless to the paparazzi. Star wearing hoochie clothes stumbling out of bar... big bucks. Star using ATM in jeans and t-shirt... not so much.
  38. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, these days gutter rags like The Enquirer, OK and Famous to a point, run 'STARS WITHOUT MAKE-UP' issues when photos of them being normal and running errands merits entry into the Hall of Shame.

Sometimes it is a no win for anyone with a degree of public recognition, especially in the entertainment industry.

I remember one magazine going into hysterics claiming Meg Ryan's Mad Descent Into Hell. (She was photographed in a track suit actually stretching after going for a jog.)
  39. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The star said that if you look the same all the time, the paparazzi tire of following you, so yes "star without makeup" might sell the first time or two, but after that, the rags won't pay for stuff they already have on file.
  40. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I think that when it gets to the point where Britney Spears was at during her "meltdown" phase, the paps need to back off and be held responsible in some ways. I remember her interview on television where she was basically BEGGING them to leave her alone. I realize she has a mental disorder, but I honestly believe that they helped drive her so that point. I felt so sad for her. And we all know what happened to Princess Di...While it may be easy for some bigger stars to disappear, I don't think it's possible to every big star to...and the paps should be held to some kind of standards for stalking them.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012