When do working adults skate?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by treesprite, Sep 5, 2012.

1. treesprite

treesprite Member

I am wondering how anyone who works full time is able to find time to skate, especially if having to skate in public sessions. I have been thinking about moving slightly out of the area, but the nearest rink that has even just 2 times a week during which a typical working adult would be able to skate, is like 400 miles away (based on internet searches). Nearly everywhere, there are no evening FSs and no evening public sessions. Looks like if I move I will have to quit skating.

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I generally skate at lunch, with a lesson before work in the morning. We have sessions available after work, but they're usually full of very little kids and beginners, so I avoid them.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Weekends. Ridiculously early on a Sunday morning is the only time I can skate. Even if there was ice available in the evenings, I was just too tired to do anything much!

4. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

In our dreams. :D

Okay, no seriously. Every full-time-working adult has difficult work circumstances, and different access to ice time.

I know competitive adult skaters/testers who don't bat an eye at driving 2 hours one way to skate... whether that's 1-2 times a week, or the usual for 6 months.

I know of other competitive adult skaters/testers who work non-9-5 work shifts who skate during the day with the home school kids.

There are others who travel for work so frequently they just always pack their skates and find crack-of-dawn sessions whenever possible in strange cities.

Everyone finds a way to make it work. :) And if not, you can always return to the sport in a few years when life allows. That's the great thing about skating as an adult -- you can always come back to it when life allows and you want to, because we're not 'racing against some clock' like competitive kids.

For me personally, I manage to get in about 0-6 hours of skating per week. Usually it’s a solid 2-4 hours per week, year round. To do so, I skate at up to 4 rinks throughout the year in my city – though 2 are only open 6 months out of the year, and 1 does not even open this year (under renovations).

I may have to drive up to 30 minutes to access other rinks in my area, and pay a bit more as a non-member on certain club ice, but I make due and am lucky that NO clubs or facilities have “contract ice” where you’re paying one lump sum for months/seasons at a time and the out-of-luck if you can’t make the sessions due to work/travel/life. My home rink has cut down from 7 sessions I could skate after 5 PM, down to only about 2-3 this entire season… so I’ll just have to suck it up and skate a few mornings before work as needed before work, starting at 6:30 AM. I find ice in the winter Sunday evenings, Saturday AMs, and M-F before 8 AM or after 5 PM as needed.

In the dead of summer I find the weekend evening public sessions to be less crowded than many of my weekday evening freestyle sessions, though life doesn’t allow me to skate weekend evenings all that often.

Also, at one point I lived for 6 months (summer to fall) with an ice rink 90 minutes away, one way. Since I was new the job and had few friends in the area, I drove once or twice a week the 3 hour round trip drive to skate an evening 2 hour public session that luckily consisted of about 5-10 figure skaters (+ coaches) and about 1-2 dozen public skaters… though in November, my final month there, the public skating crowd increased significantly and I assume that would have not been an option December-February. I was working on Senior MIF at the time and was able to at least maintain my Senior MIF skills and current freeskating skills, despite not taking any lessons while out there.

5. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

The adults at my rink skate at 6 a.m. before work. Those who don't work, or who can negotiate their lunch breaks, skate on noontime public sessions. There is very limited ice after 5, but sometimes we rehearse adult group numbers then.

6. fan

fan Active Member

we have sessions at our club from 8:30-10 pm everynight - it's late, buit it gets the job done.

7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Currently I only work on weekends (just graduated uni earlier this year and work put up a fight about putting my hours up while I job-hunt). So that's pretty easy - I can pick any session five days a week.

Starting next week I'll be working 2-7pm Wed and Thur, 10-6pm Fri and then my usual weekend. So that'll require shuffling about. Probably skate my usual times Mon and Tue, then the 10am-12 public session Wed and Thur. At least until school holidays :yikes:

I did just advance to an interview stage for a job in a little town in Tasmania though. If I got that and moved there, I'd be 4.5 hours away from the nearest rink. I don't know how I'd manage that. But I would. You can take me but you can never take my skating!

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I skate Tuesday evening, Wednesday directly after work, and early Saturday morning.

Our rink has 2 freestyle sessions a week. I skate them both.

9. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I skate an early Saturday morning session, and then log in from home once during the week to do my morning work before a FS session & come in around 10. Am lucky enough to have a manager who doesn't really care about me being in the office one day a week as long as the work gets done. I did stop skating regularly when I had a 65 hr week in New York, though...

10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I drive an hour and fifteen minutes each way, at 6am, to get to a session on Wednesday mornings. This entails me driving an hour and fifteen to just above NYC, then driving an hour plus in the complete opposite direction, to NJ, to get to work. I bring my work clothing to change into at my office. I walk in very untiffed. :lol:

I drive 30 minutes each way to skate during a long lunch on some Thursdays.

I drive an hour each way to skate Saturday mornings on the ice when my daughter is taking her own lesson.

I also drive an hour each way to skate Sunday mornings.

Although for the past month, I've done none of that, due to rink schedules changing and my own travel schedule.

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The rink I regularly skate at is fairly close to my house, but I can't do mornings - it would pose a serious safety hazard to everyone else because I would still be half-asleep.

I can usually adjust my work schedule to do one or two late afternoon/early evening sessions per week, and then buy on to additional evening sessions when I can, or buy on to sessions at other rinks that fit my schedule. My club has an adult session but it is too late in the evening for me.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

Sadly, there are no public sessions or freestyles in my area after work hours. It's all hockey.

13. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I skate at 6:30am on weekday mornings before work and am fortunate enough to have a Sunday freestyle that I can skate at a more reasonable time. Having never been a morning person, after 8 years I'm getting a little burned out on doing 6:30am sessions with a cold, stiff, sleepy body. I'm thinking about asking my boss to let me come in 2 hours later and stay later twice a week so I can skate the 8:30am session on those mornings instead. . .

14. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I stay until 6:30 on the days I skate at lunch (45 min skate plus commute and change clothes). I'm lucky my boss is good with flex time.

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I work mon-friday (generally) 9-7 ish hours. i tend to skate before work, and then sometimes in the evening at public sessions if they are quiet. it is really hard to balance though. im always jelous of the 18 year old uni students that can skate all day without a care... oh to be young again!

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I try to do one night time public session a week and Saturday mornings (ice dance and then stay on for the public session). However depending on work commitments, then also judging or skating administration commitments, means it is not consistent. Some weeks I can't skate at all. Plus I travel about 1 hour each way to get to the rink. At present I don't compete or test at the moment nor have lessons.

17. treesprite

treesprite Member

Wow, a lot of traveling! I don't know if I could do it.

Currently I live there are ice rinks everywhere (one is 1.5 m away, one is about 8 miles away, one is about 7 miles away, three are about 25 or 30 miles away), and have later day work hours so I have a really great selection of skate times. But I doubt I'll find a job with those hours in a new location. Perhaps I'm just really spoiled expecting to have so many options.

Are there people who find just skating once a week to be worth it? Like are you advancing at all?

18. Aussie Willy

Hate to say it but you really do not advance only skating once a week. To learn is really difficult. If you are an experienced skater it is more just keeping you skills up.

19. treesprite

treesprite Member

I used to be an experienced skater! I just came back in Nov. after years away, and it's taking forever to pick stuff back up due to skate and ankle issues.
    I usually go 2 or 3 times a week to 2-hour sessions, most of which have 10 or less skaters in them who are usually all adults, but due to the kids being out of school, I was only going once a week for summer and got nowhere (going w/them all there was just as bad as not going).

I don't think I'm going to be able to find a rink with that availability in other places with a typical work schedule. Weekends are probably crowded in all the rinks that only have w/e publics, short 45 min FSs are not worth driving very far because it's it's not enough time to get anything done for someone who can't go 5 days a week, and with my sleep issues there is no way I'd be able to go early in the morning. I think a person gets more out of 3x 2-hour uncrowded publics than 5x 45min FSs.

20. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

My options are
    1) crowded freestyle session in early evening after work
    2) public session, usually not crowded, at lunch time, for which I end up taking 1.5 hours annual leave in addition to my allotted lunch
    3) morning freestyle that gets me to work half an hour late, so I can either take annual leave or just stay late to make up the time at the end of the day
    4) weekend freestyles

There are a few other times I could go to the rink, e.g., adult or mixed-age public sessions some later evenings, or dance sessions on which it would not be appropriate to practice jumps or spins and even spirals or some other moves patterns would be iffy. But I don't do those on a regular basis because I can't get much productive practice of what I need to work on.

Which ones I do on regular basis varies depending on what else is going on in my life, and when my coach is available for lessons.

I've been averaging 1-2 times a week this summer, and I feel that I have not kept up my skills, much less advanced. I hope to get back to 3-4 times when I feel less busy with other things.

21. MusicSkateFan

MusicSkateFan New Member

6am 3-4 weekday mornings per week. My rink is about 2 minutes from my house so the early morning is not too terrible. Saturday freestyle will now be at 2nd rink 40 minutes away. My main rink only has weekend freestyle in the summer months and sometimes around holiday weekends when there is no hockey.

22. GarrAarghHrumph

That may vary by person. It's not true of me. I get a lot more out of doing several 45 minute sessions than I do out of a few longer sessions. With only 45 minutes, I have to be highly focused. I also don't get overtired, which means I'm working well. I find that I advance more quickly if I skate more often per week, for shorter sessions each time.

If all you have available to you is the 45 minute sessions, they may be worth at least trying. See what you think.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I skate 6-8am (five or six times a week), and then start working at 9am. Not nice to get up at 4.45 most days, but you get used to it.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Do you have time to shower before work?

25. GarrAarghHrumph

When I myself skate before work, I don't have time to shower. I use baby wipes and face wipes, and those are the days I go to work with my hair in a headband. ;)

26. Aussie Willy

I never worried about showering after skating before work. That is what deordorant is for. With how cold our rink was it was difficult to work up a sweat anyway.

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I used to do that, and change all my clothes . . . but then I moved around the corner from the rink so I could stop home for a quick shower before going to the office, and that is much more pleasant.

28. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

6 a.m. on Sundays
    4:30 p.m. on Fridays (when company had a policy of early Fridays off)
    late night on Tuesday 10 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.

In spite of all the craziness, it was really really worth it (i'm no longer skating)

Miss the smell of the Zamboni fumes and the sight of an empty rink on Sunday especially. Moment of freedom and silence and absolute serenity.

K.

29. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

That's basically what I did. I stopped skating for about 18 months because once a week wasn't working for me. I wasn't advancing and I was tired of using up all my flex-time so I could go to the rink for a quiet public session one morning a week. Due to rink restrictions I wasn't allowed to skate on the early morning patch (freestyle) sessions, and weekend sessions were too crowded to get anything done.

Then we moved back home to the other side of the world and here I'm allowed on early morning freestyle sessions, so I skate three mornings a week at 5:30am. I'm not a morning person, but it's worth it to get some quiet ice time, and to make actual measurable progress.
    See above. No, it was frustrating and demotivating.
    This. I rarely work up enough of a sweat that I feel the need to shower in between skating and work.

30. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I don't know how you guys do it. I'm always sweating like crazy after I skate even in the middle of winter. I've been known to have to just about drown in body spray if I've absolutely had to be somewhere after skating.