When (and where) is the world is Worlds? the saga continues

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by genevieve, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Tokyo? Korea? LA? Lausanne? May? October? WHO KNOWS?!?!

I think the latest is that an announcement is expected Friday or Monday. No idea what timezone, so skater eligibility may be affected.

And I think it's fair to say that everyone on this board (unless they're a total asshat) feels that what is going on in Japan is of a higher priority than a skating competition. But this is a skating board, and a pretty important competition has been impacted, so people may express disappointment, frustration or even crack a joke. None of this means that people don't care about what the people of Japan are going through.

ETA: If you are posting a link to an article, keep in mind that anything older than 1 hour has probably been 1) discussed to death and 2) superceded by new information.

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new thread, genevieve!

:respec:

3. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

...and for re-calibrating people's thoughts, emotions and perspective

4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Same here. Thanks, genevieve. :respec:

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Funny title :rofl:

I wonder what will become of the WTT? November or December or still April? :shuffle:

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I meant to include Lake Freakin Placid in my list :drama:

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why May is worse than October. Problems with both of these I guess because you either extend/tax this season or next. I guess 'next' gives you more time to plan but yikes we'll see some crappy skating in October.

8. icemusings

icemusings Member

The one piece I can't figure out is that in Cinquanta's statement (according to Hersh) he thinks that skaters won't go for a May Worlds because they'll be working on their new programs.

Won't this be a bigger problem in October, or is he operating on the assumption that everyone will bring new programs to Worlds?

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

May is worse than October according to who? Cinquanta? He says that athletes have told him that May is impossible because they are under contract to do tours and shows. Is that what you're asking?

ETA: sorry, no. I confused that with what he said about April. About May, he said:

To me, not a good answer. My own thing is that in some parts of the world, there's no ice at rinks after March, so some skaters could have been without ice for over a month before a May WC.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Would the ISU be having this dilemma if it were pre-1992/94 (before the 'professionalization" of "amateur" figure skating)? Even if similar disasters had occurred at a Worlds venue 2 weeks before the event. I suspect the answer would be "No.".... i.e., that it would be much easier to hold a 'no-frills, bare bones Worlds' at a different venue within 1-2 months (April or May) before the professionalization of the early 90s.

So how about putting aside the for-profit $pirit for one season -- one highly unusual season in which the horrible disasters happened -- and remember the purity of this sport and the (I hope) ultimate reason why championships take place: for sport - not for profit.

11. GarrAarghHrumph

It sounds to me, from what he said, that to him, May or October - both could be equally as bad in terms of skater readiness. So my thought is that he feels October may be the better option because they'd have more time to organize the WC itself.

October could also potentially allow them to still hold this in Japan, as implied here:

12. talulabell

talulabell New Member

I'm still about 8 pages short of the end of the previous worlds thread, so I apologize if this was already said, but I dont think LA ever volunteered for anything. I looked at the Staples Center schedule, and they dont seem to have more than 3 days in a row free until mid to late June (hockey, basketball, concerts...).

As many others have said, Worlds in october is the worst options IMO. It screws up two seasons for the skaters. To me there are two far better options:

1. move it to somewhere with either recent worlds experience or a skating base large enough to pull a "smaller" worlds off, has a venue available end of April, first week of May, and can/will "help" with the visa issue (ie: Torino, Lausanne, Colorado Springs, Korea).

2. Cancel worlds. It would be a bummer, but with the tragic events in Japan, and showing consideration for skaters training schedule, it would be appropriate.

13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Willowway said in thread 2 in response to my post (the other thread was closed before I could respond):

Somehow I'm not surprised. There seems to be a major investment by both parties in this event...but I just wish they would be honest with all of us. I seriously doubt there'd be THAT loud of an outcry if Cinquanta just said from day 1- something to this effect "We've invested a lot of money and resources into holding this event in Japan. We are unable to hold the event in Japan as scheduled. Moving the event elsewhere on short notice is really difficult not only due to logistics, but due to our financial commitment as well as the commitment of the JSF to make this happen. JSF has said they would be able to host this event in Sept. or Oct. of this year. We'll keep you updated on the situation."

At least said statement is straight up and explains the situation from a business point of view so everyone (more or less) understands. ISU just has not communicated well with the skaters/public at all. And poor communication often leads to misunderstandings, which lead to thoughts of incompetent leadership, etc.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

15. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Don't worry, I've read the majority of posts from both the previous threads, and I don't recall this being brought up... if it was, sorry, I must have missed it.

Anyway, I too don't think the USFSA specifically offered LA as an alternate city. The way I read the article in regards to LA was that it mentioned that Worlds was held there in 2009.

16. GarrAarghHrumph

I appreciate what Phil Hersch has been doing - reaching out both to fellow reporters in Japan, and to Cinquanta himself. Without Phil doing this, we'd quite possibly be completely in the dark re: the ISU's plans.

17. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

For RD--if it's the case that the JSF are the ones holding things up, why would Cinquanta make it sound like ISU resources are an issue? The feeling I got was Cinquanta is feeling hamstung a bit by the JSF and would like to see it moved, but is trying to be polite under the circumstances.

18. Nikki Lee

Nikki Lee Active Member

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

If Worlds is schedule in Spring or Summer I'd expect it to be "small" -- smaller arena (capacity-wise), fewer out-of-town ticket purchasers, and probably something that would work well in a more modest venue with less need for hotel rooms. I don't think that would be intrinsically bad.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Things certainly seem to now be pointing in the direction of the JSF and their insistence that they can host this event regardless of the strong possibility that the situation there may not have even stabilized by Sept/Oct.

I still remember that the ISU was reporting that the JSF said Worlds was good to go in the early hours after the tragedy (this was before the nuclear scare/additional quakes, though)

22. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Worlds in October with skaters performing 2011-2012 programs would just be 2012 Worlds part 1. Or would they be expected to perform this year's programs?

Strange idea. I would think a new location in April or May would make more sense for it to be this season's championship.

23. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'm with you, sister!

24. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

25. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Nobody's perfect...:shuffle:

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

27. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol:

28. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Are there (m)any skaters who train at rinks where the ice ends in March? Elite skaters may take some time off after worlds but in my experience rinks that close in the spring do not re-open until autumn and I can't imagine any elite skater skating at rink that only opens for half the year and if they do they must have a summer training rink where they would be regardless of the timing of worlds

29. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

This makes it three European cities with a lot of experience offering to organize it fast. I hope that for the sake of the skaters, fans and the sport one of the offers is taken.

30. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Actually, that is what he says. Maybe he means that they don't have the painted hockey ice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.