When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Prancer, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martyross

martyross New Member

Vlad, you sly old fox...

2. millipied

millipied New Member

I suspect ISU Governing Council meeting will be rescheduled if Moscow gets the Worlds.

3. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Not a nice title Phil, you should remember Vlad the Impaler didn't take kindly to insults :eek:

4. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Frau Muller, I don't know why/how/when you had to go through that hassle in Russia. I know it's not the easiest country to get into, but I have a few Russian visas in my passport, and I never stayed in an expensive hotel, and I never had to go through what you described... And in any case, I'm sure all skaters + officials + journalists would be staying in hotels big enough to be able to handle the "registration" process.

Again, I'm not saying it's all a piece of cake (and I'm hoping that the current talks between Russia and the EU to get rid of visas will be successful), and I'm concerned about the issue too, but please don't make it sound like it's 1000x worse than it actually is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Oh no! Yet another constraint! ;)

6. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

It's the U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council, not the ISU Governing Council. I doubt it would be rescheduled for Worlds if they were in Moscow. However, it might have to be rescheduled if Worlds were in the U.S. on those dates (which would make things even more complicated). Does anyone know if those are the same dates in the bid that Colorado Springs and Lake Placid put forward?

7. deedeelocks

deedeelocks xx

:confused: I'm not a US citizen, but I had my visa within a week (ok Russian consulate is 2.5hrs away from home, but it's near the beach so I made it like a trip :D ) and when I came to Russia, my hotel could validate the visa.
    It's not as easy as a trip anywhere else, but it's not that bad either.

8. millipied

millipied New Member

Thanks, I got confused.:)
    As far as I am aware, nobody seen or confirmed the official bids for USA and Finland. Only Russian officials confirmed that the bid went out with specific dates April 24-May 1 and location Moscow's MEGASPORT.
    I would like USFS to confirm their submission with details.

9. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

Here, here. All hail Mother Russia. :gallopin1

I'm so excited. It looks like we're going to get Worlds for sure. And in a timely fashion.

10. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

When was the last time you went to Russia?
    You don't need to go to OVIR. You can register at any post office.
    Read more here.
    Usually it takes me about 15-30 min to register my friends (but they take and fill out foreigner registration form in advance)

11. martyross

martyross New Member

Hersh reports these dates though:
    April 25 - May 4.

12. millipied

millipied New Member

13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Last summer. I spend summers with my husband's family in Ryazan', a largeish city 100km south of Moscow. I am married to a Russian. I always have to go through "OVIR Day" at the start of my vacations...and it ain't pretty. But we already know the babushkas who have to be given boxes of chocolates & flowers to expedite matters. We usually take the train to Sochi for 2 weeks by the sea but my vacations always begin & end in Ryazan' and that's where I have to register at the OVIR because my husband's family's house is there. (They sponsor my visa.)

Remember -- I get a home stay visa, not a tourist visa.

14. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

it took me about 3 weeks for me to get a visa back in 2004, but it was a group trip for students and we were about 30 people, plus maybe I had a home stay visa too, as I was staying at a friend's house.

Well it should be easier now. There are cheap flights from Milan, I think aereoflot.
    I suddenly miss Russia :)

15. morqet

morqet Active Member

But I expect that won't be the case for most people going to watch worlds, so they won't have these difficulties. You are making it sound needlessly complicated! If you remember back to the Champions League Final in Moscow a couple of years ago, the Manchester United and Chelsea fans could use their match tickets as their visa, so the Russian authorities have experience with quickly making arrangements for many people entering the country to watch a sporting event.

16. Frau Muller

I know. Most people who go to Worlds from other countries seem to go in tour groups. The tour directors handle everything. In the case of independent travelers, they usually are wealthy enough to not mind pre-paying $2,000+ for a 10-day stay in a Moscow Hotel, to be able to obtain the voucher that will allow one to apply for a visa.

If I go to Moscow or St Pete (which I do quite a bit, to see ballets) and don't want to do the 'family thing' in Ryazan', I work through the Youth Hostels Association to buy a 'fake stay' in the cheapest hotel possible and they send me "fake" voucher that I can show with my tourist visa application, to show that I am staying in a hotel/hostel (even though I'm staying with friends in Moscow). But I still have to visit the front desk of the "fake" hotel/hostel so that the receptionist can "register" me.

Here is the Russian Youth Hostels page detailing the visa situation in Russia & what is needed for a Tourist Visa. They can arrange the paperwork (Voucher & Registration Sheet) that you must have to even begin to apply for a Tourist Visa at your Russian Consultate back home. I recommend this if you want to stay with friends in Moscow and want to avoid staying at an expensive hotel...and Moscow hotels are among the most expensive on earth. Luckily, this hostel association will give you the paperwork for up to a one-month stay even though you only pay them for a couple of days' stay in one of their hostels. Link: http://hostelling-russia.ru/visas.htm

17. HisWeirness

HisWeirness LYUBOV HAS BEEN FREED!

Update from AP writer Nancy Armour's twitter (@nrarmour):

http://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/50237083691925504
    http://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/50237311480381440

ETA: from Phil Hersh (@olyphil)

http://twitter.com/olyphil/status/50239503385903105

18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Turku???!!!:dog:
    Turku would be great, but I am 99,97% sure it will be Moscow.

19. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

CROATIA? oh please please please Zagreb so that I can go!!!
    and :cheer: for Austria as well ^_^

20. Gidget

Gidget New Member

Hersh: "ISU president Ottavio Cinquanta just confirmed the AP story for me, adding that Graz is Austrian choice and Zagreb the Croatian choice"

21. millipied

millipied New Member

Great to hear that countires like Croatia can afford such expenses:)

22. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Croatia? Austria?! Wow!! :eek:

WRONG. I've never travelled to Worlds on a tour and don't know anyone who has. AND, as I already pointed out previously, I've NEVER stayed in an expensive hotel in Russia - actually, I've stayed more than once at friends' - and I've NEVER had to go through the hassle you seem to say is necessary to go through. You are making it sound much more complicated than it actually is.

Moreover, implying that anyone who travels on their own to watch Worlds can fork out $2000+ just on the hotel is ridiculous and insulting. :blah:

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  23. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Wheeeeee for all the Rude Euros stepping up to the plate! :kickass:

24. Frau Muller

I still think that it's either Moscow (most likely) or Colo Spgs (credible but less likely). The others must be like Susanna Rakamo hinted at in the earlier article - "ghost bids" to fill-out the slate of bidders.

25. Frau Muller

No use arguing with stupidity. YOU are WRONG. :p In Moscow and St Pete, the hotels (not hostels) are exhorbitant. That's why I'd suggest using my old trick of paying a couple of days in a hostel (to be able to show the documents necessary for a Tourist Visa) and staying with friends (to save money).

26. martyross

martyross New Member

the saga may be over tomorrow...uuhhhhh

27. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain the voting process? (It might be in an earlier thread?)

28. millipied

millipied New Member

I don't think there is one at this stage. I suspect all ISU Coincil members receive the bids via email, discuss over the phone and then vote for it;)

29. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

:eek: wtf with this spelling, buddy pani? The stuff like "greate" and "traning" is fine, yeah,.. f... it. These "inteersting," "Russain," "futire," let's count as typos :2faced:. But names of Skaters should, no.. MUST be spelt properly, somehow it speaks about the respect. No? :confused: :rolleyes:
    www.isuresults.com/bios/fsbiosicedancing.htm

30. Frau Muller

USFSA posted this - a chance to vote for your choice among the various bidders:

Vote in this poll: Where would be the best location for the ISU to hold the 2011 World Championships?, http://bit.ly/igNy64

So far, Lake Placid is ahead, by quite a lot! Not that this impacts on the ISU's vote but it's fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.