When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Prancer, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Finland doesn't have Visa requirement may be EU, US, and Japan. However if you are from developing country (there will be very few athletes anyway) and fans, they will have a harder time getting the visa. I think if Russia uses the same policy as ManU Vs Chelsea match policy for Visa that might be advantageous.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

William Thompson is quoted in this Hamilton Spectator article: http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/504850--canada-would-take-worlds-but-not-here
    Excerpt:
    From the Colorado Springs Gazette: http://www.gazette.com/sports/worlds-114905-world-arena.html

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This March 20 article is the most detailed article in English on Yu-Na Kim's return to Korea that I've seen online to date: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2011/03/20/16/0702000000AEN20110320003200315F.HTML
    Excerpts:
    ETA: Found this Korean media video (4:30 mins long) over at Golden Skate of Yu-Na skating an open practice in Korea with no jumps (looks like she did bits of her SP choreo): http://etv.donga.com/view.php?idxno=201103220042314

4. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

5. maija

maija Well-Known Member

6. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my :cheer2: for all the Federations offering to host Worlds!

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I second that. Of course I have my preferences now that I had to cancel my trip to Japan but really I couldn't care less where it is as long as it happens somewhere and soon for the good of the skaters and the skating world!!

8. millipied

millipied New Member

Finland is part of Schengen treaty and requires visas just as USA. Russia has the most difficult visa process but they guaranteed to exodite them in this situation and so did USA promise assistance.

9. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

Most of us think so now because we are relieved that the Worlds will be held after all. Still I hope the ISU makes a decision before the novelty is over and the inevitable :argue: starts. ;)

10. Reen

Reen Member

11. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

its nice that Halifax is interested but to get to Halifax from Europe will require a connection either in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, or New York, while getting there from Asia will require you to connect in Vancouver if the airlines doesn't fly to Toronto. and this doesn't include the intra-asia, intra-europe connection that some skaters may take. but will see.

question regarding the US bid, will the USFSA be submitting both Colorado Springs and Lake Placid? or will they enter both locations depending on the ammendable dates?

12. skoppa

skoppa Active Member

Well if you go through Iceland from Europe and use Icelandair (one of the Icelandic airlines) you can go straight to Halifax.

13. millipied

millipied New Member

I believe and hope we might be past of "expression of interest" and enquiries stage, as mere hours left till we know the final list of all submitted official bids.

14. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

they did say they hope to name a venue by either thursday or friday. the evaluation commission will certaianly be losing sleep within the next few days.

15. millipied

millipied New Member

16. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Halifax has non stop flights to Heathrow, as well as Boston, New York, Newark, Washington, Chicago, and Philadelphia.

The world managed to get there in 1990...

The biggest drawback is that the whole events business in Halifax is in a shambles with the scandal over concert promotion.

17. maija

maija Well-Known Member

I have noticed that the Finnish Figure Skating Association is not very eager to get the competition.

18. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Yes, they say that the initiative was not theirs, but OTOH, they are appealing. :cold:

19. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

They don't start flying to Halifax until June 2. Otherwise it would have been a great option and it's a nice easy flight from Keflavik to Halifax.

Exactly. Halifax isn't hard to get to, plenty of options. Most people, wherever this is held, will have to transfer somewhere.

Having said that most flights from NA will land in Europe in the morning so your connection options are greater vs flights from Europe that land in NA in the evening which *might* result in missed connections.

20. fsfann

fsfann Well-Known Member

I don't think connections are an issue for anyone. That is pretty normal whenever anyone travels. It's a moot point.

I think Halifax would be a great option...It's a smaller rink - won't be so difficult to fill etc, and there are lots of fans around here who would be eager to get there... I for one would be buying my tickets right away!!

Go Halifax!!! :)

Plus - Halifax is coming off a really strong Canada Games performance, so they already would have a lot of access to volunteers/workers/organizers etc...

21. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

:lol: that Putin think worlds is "relatively inexpensive".

22. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

23. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Actually it's peanuts for him!

24. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

So where are these super-humans coming from (maybe The Visitors or those aliens on The Event will come to our aid lol) that can do in about a month what most organizers take 2 to 3 years to prepare? If the event is held, I have the uneasy feeling it is going to be one big mess. For the skaters and the fans, I hope not.

OT We had a small quake in South Carolina yesterday (less than 3), but I can tell you Japan flashing before my eyes put a real scare in me.

25. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

He needs to get his facts right - world were in Halifax in 1990. I personally would rather see Halifax than Vancouver (too many big events lately, although the base would be there to pull the event off rather easily, I would think) or Toronto area (too many big events, and worlds in London in 2 years). My dream would be Winnipeg...

26. skoppa

skoppa Active Member

Sorry did not see that when I cheeked the schedule

27. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Correction: The Finnish Federation has not applied yet, they are just checking the possibilities. They have been less enthusiastic today than they were yesterday, so let´s see if they apply at all.

28. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm glad that's all he has to worry about is hosting worlds.

29. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:confused:
    He has spared one sentence to support Russia's bid for the Worlds and this is your conclusion?

30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks for the link.

I did a little 'snoopin' around' and discovered that ALL rooms at the Broadmoor have been tentatively reserved -- off the market -- during the following weeks:

April 18/24
    April 25/May 1
    May 2/8

Maybe there's something else going on at the Broadmoor those weeks?

There still are plenty of rooms to be reserved at the more modest motels/hotels near the World Arena, with the Hampton Inn & Suites being particularly well-priced at $86/night on Hotels.com. (wink)

For fans living in the Washington, DC, area - Did you know that there is a daily non-stop flight on United between IAD (Dulles Airport) and Colorado Springs? Niiiice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.