When (and where) in the world is Worlds? Update: MOSCOW! 4/24-5/1/11

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Prancer, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Carry on.

I think we were last discussing how to get to Lake Placid.
  2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hire a sherpa, he will handle the details and carry some brandy for emergencies
  3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

So...is there any chance that Lepisto would be healthy enough for a late April worlds?

I hope so, although that back injury sounded awful.

If she doesn't, I think Finland would be a nice choice because aside from Korpi, who is a very dark horse for a bronze in ladies, it is a neutral location that doesn't favor any one nation. Of course it's in the same time zone as other European skaters, but it's not home base for any of the medal contenders.
  4. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Canada would take worlds, but not here (ie Hamilton)
    http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/504850--canada-would-take-worlds-but-not-here
    With Japan out, skating worlds to get new site
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...DYbx7A?docId=c40de03d01c248a38ff02ea995cc9acc
  5. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

FSU road trip :p , I would drive down only about 7 hours from here.. I'll pick up you Toronto folks on my way ;)

But I think in reality it's between Finland and Russia - either way as long as it happens I'll be happy.. and I hope all the skaters from Japan win (sorry to my fellow Canadians)..
  6. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Springs a candidate for displaced figure skating worlds - some details re arena size, and hotel accommodation, etc.
    http://www.gazette.com/sports/worlds-114905-world-arena.html

Russia to bid to host 2011 Figure Skating World Championship
    http://en.rian.ru/sports/20110321/163129997.html
  7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Hmm...I wouldn't exactly call Finland "neutral" but that's just because of Korpi, and possibly Lepisto if she recovers. Any time there is a possibility of "home court advantage" by ANY contender, regardless of how long a shot they might be, I think that rules out neutral. Still, it's probably more so than Russia, and definitely more so than USA.
  8. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

How many threads has it been now? :lol: Or are we just incrementing i+1? ;)
    ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  9. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I've only been following this on and off as most of it's been the usual :argue:, but IMO, Russia the 3rd week of April is by far the most ideal solution I've read about.

I don't know what the technicalities would be, but I really hope it works out.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  10. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I second the motion.

I'd have to think Helsinki since Russia has some work arounds.
    I do think Colo Spr and LP could do a smashup job but geez, no local population to pull from. I'm not convinced us hard core-ites would fill the arena....although I know we'd sure as heck try!

If LP does happen, though, I'll have vacation and hotel booked faster than you can say ELENE GEDEVANISHVILI.
  11. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I can pick up the people in albany on my way ;)
  12. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I believe that the US bid (and there apparently is a very serious US bid) involves Colorado Springs.
  13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I can't drive anyone to Colorado Springs. Is that in the proposal?
  14. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

Cleveland, Ohio! We will never have to worry about a conflict with a playoff game here. (((Browns))) (((Cavs))) (((Indians))).
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

16. 4rkidz

I think Hersch said both Colorado Springs in late April and Lake Placid in early May were the US submissions :confused: So continue with your road trip plan ;) btw Lake Placid has 8500 seats.. so does meet the threshold..
  17. jlai

jlai Title-less

Somehow I misread it as "cremating it". :slinkaway
  18. Allisanna

Allisanna Member

According to this website it only seats 7,700. http://www.whiteface.com/facilities/oc.php
  19. 4rkidz

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Uh, no. The Olympic skating events were held at the Pacific Coliseum. The "arena" at the PNE is the Agrodome.

But then this story comes from Ontario which is the centre of the universe, so I guess they don't need to get their facts right about anything in the rest of Canada.
  21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Does anyone know if Lepisto is changing her mind re: Worlds now that it's postponed (so she can have more time to heal her injury and practise) and likely to be in Europe or even Finland?
  22. smartblade

smartblade New Member

no need to being sensitive. PNE Pacific National "Coliseum" can also be classified as an arena techincally just like agro"dome" can be classified as an arena. I'm sure everyone new the difference.
  23. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

double post
  24. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Could she change her mind? She's no longer listed on the official entries site as an entry or a substitute. http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00007390.htm

I don't know if she'll be recovered enough anyway, but given the unusual circumstances it seems like there should be some process by which skaters who had withdrawn anticipating the March date could petition to be put back on the list if they will be healed enough by the new dates (though I'd also feel kind of bad for a skater who thought they were going to Worlds and was officially listed as being on the team but then got "bumped," who in this case would be Juulia Turkkila).
  25. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:D The Coliseum and the Agrodme are practically next door to each other , but there's no comparison in size ,and the hockey team ( Giants) who call the Coliseum home are not, AFAIK, out of the playoffs .

Still, if the quote comes from Thompson, maybe he thinks there could be some kind of shuffle. But I always thought our offer of "help if needed" was a fail-safe, if-there's-no-other-viable-option kind of thing.
  26. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

ROFL. It helps to have a sense of humor about it.:lol:
  27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Giants in Hockey? What league is this?
  28. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

I believe someone posted in this extended thread that Finland does not have any Visas requirements. If that is true then that gives them a one up on both Russia and USA. However Finland will be holding the World Synchronized Skating Championships sometime during this same period, so this could be a drawback for a winning bid. Hopefully we will know the answer Friday.
  29. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

The Giants play in the WHL..one step down from the NHL . I've been to a few games..much more affordable, and pretty good hockey (Plus you almost feel you're on the ice with them in that building .They don't use the nosebleeds)

RE: Finland and Synchros ..OTOH, they would have a lot of the behind the scenes stuff already in place. If they went for April 18 there would just be a week or so (I think) between the two.
  30. Sylvia

2011 Synchro Worlds are April 8-9 in Helsinki.

ETA:
    My guess is that anyone who officially withdrew from Worlds (and was on the original entries list as a competitor or an alternate) could be reinstated to compete if that's what they and their federation want.
  31. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Finland doesn't have Visa requirement may be EU, US, and Japan. However if you are from developing country (there will be very few athletes anyway) and fans, they will have a harder time getting the visa. I think if Russia uses the same policy as ManU Vs Chelsea match policy for Visa that might be advantageous.
  32. Sylvia

William Thompson is quoted in this Hamilton Spectator article: http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/504850--canada-would-take-worlds-but-not-here
    Excerpt:
    From the Colorado Springs Gazette: http://www.gazette.com/sports/worlds-114905-world-arena.html
  33. Sylvia

This March 20 article is the most detailed article in English on Yu-Na Kim's return to Korea that I've seen online to date: http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2011/03/20/16/0702000000AEN20110320003200315F.HTML
    Excerpts:
    ETA: Found this Korean media video (4:30 mins long) over at Golden Skate of Yu-Na skating an open practice in Korea with no jumps (looks like she did bits of her SP choreo): http://etv.donga.com/view.php?idxno=201103220042314
  34. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

35. maija

maija Well-Known Member

36. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my :cheer2: for all the Federations offering to host Worlds!
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Hedwig

Hedwig New Member

I second that. Of course I have my preferences now that I had to cancel my trip to Japan but really I couldn't care less where it is as long as it happens somewhere and soon for the good of the skaters and the skating world!!
  38. millipied

millipied New Member

Finland is part of Schengen treaty and requires visas just as USA. Russia has the most difficult visa process but they guaranteed to exodite them in this situation and so did USA promise assistance.
  39. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

Most of us think so now because we are relieved that the Worlds will be held after all. Still I hope the ISU makes a decision before the novelty is over and the inevitable :argue: starts. ;)
  40. Reen

Reen Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.