Wheel Chair ICE dance sport video! More info?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Rochelle, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

I wasn't sure if this belong in this forum or The Trash Can, but it's definitely news to me.

I came across this YouTube video through another skating friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOE8Ym4efkM
    Please overlook the over-the-top video production that is unnecessary, and her skating skills (much more freeskated than danced, not an elite skater but still all right).

Does anyone have any more information about this wheel chair dance sport on ice?

Do we know anything about these skaters? Where this took place at?

Are they the only ones or are there other couples who compete, or at least perform, like this?

I'm incredibly interested in the possibilities of this! I'm aware of wheel chair dance sport in a ballroom dance (on the floor) setting, as I have a friend who actively competes in it with a partner. I've also kept an eye out for any form of wheel chair skating / parapallegic / paraolympic form of skating activity, but until now I've only been aware of the Olympic sledge hockey.

If anyone has any more information to share on this, please do!

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

3. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Cute, but its more of pairs without the jumps, IMO.

4. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Why not? It shows that nothing should hold one back from pursuing their dreams. Good for him!!

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Isn't pairs without the jumps ice dancing?

6. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Could you imagine if Fusar Poli and Margaglio did this? It would be the ice dance equivalent of Murderball.

7. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Ice dance is a lot more than pairs without the jumps. Overhead lifts are prohibited in ice dance, no split throws or triple throws or whatever, the spins are somewhat different, and ice dance has TONS more emphasis on musicality. Here's a webpage explaining the difference. http://figureskating.about.com/od/icedancingandpairs/f/pairsdance.htm

8. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

I can't see the video because my server doesn't surport it. But are we talking about Ice-Dancing in a wheelchair? How is it even possible to skate in one?

9. bassethound

bassethound New Member

"Cute"?

Condescending.

10. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

FSWer it is a female skater doing mostly spins and footwork and a man in a wheelchair.
    It is dramatic show skating with no jumps, but they emote to each other, and they both move around the ice. She also balances on him/his chair (not really a lift, but maybe a bit like an icedance balance lift).

It is pretty well done, I was impressed with the choreography and even coming up with it!

11. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

COOL!!! How is that even possible to do? As you would need to be Superman to lift a Wheelchair of the ground at all. Let alone the combined wieght of it and the man.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

??? Sensitive, much? I thought it was cute too, I guess I just think all people in wheelchairs are cute objects for my viewing pleasure, like midgets. :rolleyes: