Whatsha eatin' for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

They've arrived. :yikes: :scream:

2. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I think I just made the best glaze I've ever made for the ham. #yum

3. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We (DH, daughter home for weekend, and I) made:

Appetizers: Cheese platter with Cheddar, Goat, Gruyere, Havarti, Manchego, Robiola, Stilton with Cranberries--decorated with Apricots, Clementines or some kind of Baby Orange with leaves, Dried Cranberries, fresh Figs, Star Fruit, Pomegranate; Baked Brie en Croute with Orange Marmalade; and Shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Desserts: Apple Crisp, Bread Pudding with Pumpkin and Bittersweet Chocolate with whipped cream, Flour-less Chocolate Cake with whipped cream, and Pecan Pie.

I hate baking: don't have the patience to measure and do most of my cooking by eye, so thank heavens for DH and daughter, I overcooked the pie shell for the pecan pie, thank heavens for pre-made boxed shells.

Son and Daughter in law are making:

Turkey (might be fried), Cranberry, Stuffing, Gravy, Basil Garlic Green Beans, Orange Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows, Stuffed Mushrooms.

Going to have my DH's parents, age 91 on oxygen and walker and 89 on walker, out for the first time since he went in hospital July 1st and into great decline; my son's MIL and one BIL, two grandchildren 7 and 5, and us three, I think that's 11. Oh, and my in-laws hate garlic, but DIL loves it and I don't know how to tell her green bean casserole would probably have been better, oh well.

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Thanks. Seems like it is starting to set, but if it isn't by 4:00 I will pop it into the freezer. :)

I always have to have at least one vegetable that is "father-approved". My dad doesn't like a whole lot of spices beyond salt, pepper and chili powder :wideeyes:.

We only have eight this year, which is a small group for us. I think I have still cooked for our usual 12. :shuffle:

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I actually ate this type of pie in the Navy - two of the ships I was on served it for the Xmas dinner. And a couple of times off-base in California. Can't remember when I had it last. You bought up some memories...hope your memories of your Mom are good ones.

Just got back from the first place I was invited too - nice quick bus ride. They were eating brunch still, so I got some bagels and muffins and a sampling of turkey and dressing. I got a ride home and now I can rest up for my big meal with my ex and our friends tonight. I'm watching Chris Bowman skate vids on YouTube. :inavoid:.

6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I just finished the cornbread sausage dressing and realized I'm going to give people heart attacks with it. IT IS SO RICH.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Share? MIL always makes hers with just Keen's mustard as a glaze, and on the side. Dull.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I'm making gougeres (cheese puffs, really yummy) and pecans to go with champagne for cocktail hour, then followed by the usual suspects: turkey, truffled cornbread stuffing with pecans, mashed potatoes, green beans, brussel sprouts, gravy, cranberry sauce. Dessert is flan, apple pie and sweet potato pie.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am thankful for FSU and its snarky, funny, constantly entertaining presence in my life for almost 10 years :)

9. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I would like to say I am thankful that I baked my first cake from scratch. I still can't believe I did it.

Hubby's family is having Honey Baked Ham, sauted squash and carrots, broccoli casserole, potato salad, sage dressing, cranberry sauce, cucumber salad, homemade sour cream rolls, deviled eggs, and sweet potato casserole.

Dessert is my cake and pecan pie.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:cheer: what kind did you make?

11. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

:rofl:

I had leftover squash stuffing so I ate it for lunch. It was :swoon:. I'm not a cook so please excuse me while I :encore:.

:)

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. galaxygirl

Never mind. :)

15. duane

duane New Member

I had planned on driving to Ohio to spend the holiday at my dad's, but he and my stepmom are spending it this year at my stepmom's daughter's house. I like my stepmom's family, but not to the point of driving 6 hours to spend the holiday at one of their homes! So for the 2nd time ever, I'm spending the holiday alone...But definitely cooking myself a feast:

Roasted turkey legs, spare ribs, grilled lamb chops, corn beef and cabbage, fried corn with green pepper and bacon, mashed potatoes, oyster dressing, salad, and a butterscotch pound cake. I'll probably be finished around 6-7pm.

I just heard a neighbor yell "smells good!" Sounds like some college kids. Maybe I'll be nice and invite them over.

16. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

My Thanksgiving was :swoon: I made the stuffing, and it was EXCELLENT. :encore:

For those of you who are alone on Thanksgiving and want company, for next year, contact your local university. You can "adopt" an orphan college student. LSU used to do that for international students--they would "place" them with local people for the day, or even the week-end, so they could experience an American tradition; I helped coordinate it one year. I'm sure most universities have something similar.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:eek: :scream:

18. galaxygirl

I'm glad I erased my response then. :lol:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Like duane, I'm on my own but currently have a small turkey cooking. I brimmed it last night with kosher salt and brown sugar, and today added butter, olive oil, lemon juice and adobo (latin seasoning). Fully expecting yumminess providing I hit the right cooking time.

Also have stuffing (not homemade sadly), sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie courtesy of Linvilla Orchards. I could have baked instead but figured I should take advantage as I probably will have moved by this time next year.

Can't wait, I'm already hungry. :)

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We are having spaghetti and meatballs. Not much of a thanksgiving this year...

21. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

The best part of the meal, cornbread. Loved it. We were just talking about that pistachio salad. I'm going to make it for Christmas. Only one of the congealed salad I like. Except the strawberry one with pretzel crust. That one is just like a dessert.

22. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We had some delicious carrots with honey in addition to whatever I mentioned upthread, and I forget what else, it was four times as much food as we needed. Best invention ever that we only use twice a year is an apple corer and peeler, yes one machine that you ring the grinder and it does both at once.

FIL's oxygen kept falling out or he was taking it out, the whole thing was scary. They were out of their assisted living facility with us for four hours, and I'm glad they're home. Place was locked up when DH took them back.

DH let his mother and father have wine. I object, but have to keep quiet. One is on Lasix and the other is on Coumadin, I'm not sure booze is allowed, and they are both on walkers, kind of like walking drunk, blind leading the blind. Not my parents, can't say anything more, tried already.

We have a gazillion leftovers, and ours are all cheese and desserts.

Son is in big trouble because he read the local train schedule on his phone wrong, and his BIL had to connect to a train to NYC. When last seen, they had bagged the local and were driving to Philly on the highway to try to catch it. Son had wine, I am not happy.

23. duane

duane New Member

I just finished eating. I'm STUFFED!! Can barely walk! Am now washing it down with a bottle of wine.

It's always great to be with family for the holidays, but it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it alone! ;)

24. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Awesome! I decided to go it alone this year, too. I usually go over to my stepson's, but he's out of the country, and those kind people who looked like they were ready to invite me, I lied to them, saying I had a place to go to. In reality, the thought of piling down a 4,000-calorie meal while being bored out of my skull with people I don't have much in common with was just too much.

I just made a terrific Shepherd's pie from scratch, and with a nice glass of Spanish red wine, I am immensely enjoying catching up on skating YouTubes.

25. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Our menu:
    Turkey
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
    Green beans with ham
    Sauerkraut (its a Maryland tradition at Thanksgiving & Christmas)
    Rolls
    Chocolate Cake (for me, because I don't like pies!)
    Pumpkin Pie
    Apple Pie
    Vanilla Ice Cream

I love the taste of Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes & gravy!:)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  26. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My uncle isn't a big turkey fan, and he said the turkey I made was the best he has ever had. I'm patting myself on the back right now.

27. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

We had ham,turkey,cornbread dressing,green bean casserole,sauteed green beans w/garlic for those who can't eat the green bean casserole,cranberry sauce,corn,rolls,rice,and deviled eggs.Pumpkin pie and homemade chocolate pudding were the desert options.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the menstrual show.
    These are the best crafts ever. Period. :slinkaway

Just got back from dinner - ex-Mr. Rex and bf went above and beyond - turkey with apple cider/white wine glaze, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade cornbread dressing, sweet corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, apple & sweet potato pies with vanilla ice cream. After dinner coffee made with a French press. Just four of us and their dogs - who got their own turkey dinner :p. It was great. I'm stuffed and tired. I'm off tomorrow, and I can get my papers done for class.

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The usual (and yummy) suspects: turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberries and a variety of pies. We did have a simple green salad and delicious butternut squash soup to start. The soup was a hit. I have been fighting off sleep since completing the feast.

30. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Happy Thanksgiving to all the FSU types in/from the US! i hope you had a great day!