Whatsha eatin' for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

2. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

:rofl:

I had leftover squash stuffing so I ate it for lunch. It was :swoon:. I'm not a cook so please excuse me while I :encore:.

:)
  3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  4. galaxygirl

Never mind. :)
  5. duane

duane New Member

I had planned on driving to Ohio to spend the holiday at my dad's, but he and my stepmom are spending it this year at my stepmom's daughter's house. I like my stepmom's family, but not to the point of driving 6 hours to spend the holiday at one of their homes! So for the 2nd time ever, I'm spending the holiday alone...But definitely cooking myself a feast:

Roasted turkey legs, spare ribs, grilled lamb chops, corn beef and cabbage, fried corn with green pepper and bacon, mashed potatoes, oyster dressing, salad, and a butterscotch pound cake. I'll probably be finished around 6-7pm.

I just heard a neighbor yell "smells good!" Sounds like some college kids. Maybe I'll be nice and invite them over.
  6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

My Thanksgiving was :swoon: I made the stuffing, and it was EXCELLENT. :encore:

For those of you who are alone on Thanksgiving and want company, for next year, contact your local university. You can "adopt" an orphan college student. LSU used to do that for international students--they would "place" them with local people for the day, or even the week-end, so they could experience an American tradition; I helped coordinate it one year. I'm sure most universities have something similar.
  7. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:eek: :scream:
  8. galaxygirl

I'm glad I erased my response then. :lol:
    milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Like duane, I'm on my own but currently have a small turkey cooking. I brimmed it last night with kosher salt and brown sugar, and today added butter, olive oil, lemon juice and adobo (latin seasoning). Fully expecting yumminess providing I hit the right cooking time.

Also have stuffing (not homemade sadly), sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie courtesy of Linvilla Orchards. I could have baked instead but figured I should take advantage as I probably will have moved by this time next year.

Can't wait, I'm already hungry. :)
  10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

We are having spaghetti and meatballs. Not much of a thanksgiving this year...
  11. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

The best part of the meal, cornbread. Loved it. We were just talking about that pistachio salad. I'm going to make it for Christmas. Only one of the congealed salad I like. Except the strawberry one with pretzel crust. That one is just like a dessert.
  12. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We had some delicious carrots with honey in addition to whatever I mentioned upthread, and I forget what else, it was four times as much food as we needed. Best invention ever that we only use twice a year is an apple corer and peeler, yes one machine that you ring the grinder and it does both at once.

FIL's oxygen kept falling out or he was taking it out, the whole thing was scary. They were out of their assisted living facility with us for four hours, and I'm glad they're home. Place was locked up when DH took them back.

DH let his mother and father have wine. I object, but have to keep quiet. One is on Lasix and the other is on Coumadin, I'm not sure booze is allowed, and they are both on walkers, kind of like walking drunk, blind leading the blind. Not my parents, can't say anything more, tried already.

We have a gazillion leftovers, and ours are all cheese and desserts.

Son is in big trouble because he read the local train schedule on his phone wrong, and his BIL had to connect to a train to NYC. When last seen, they had bagged the local and were driving to Philly on the highway to try to catch it. Son had wine, I am not happy.
  13. duane

duane New Member

I just finished eating. I'm STUFFED!! Can barely walk! Am now washing it down with a bottle of wine.

It's always great to be with family for the holidays, but it doesn't mean that you can't enjoy it alone! ;)
  14. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

Awesome! I decided to go it alone this year, too. I usually go over to my stepson's, but he's out of the country, and those kind people who looked like they were ready to invite me, I lied to them, saying I had a place to go to. In reality, the thought of piling down a 4,000-calorie meal while being bored out of my skull with people I don't have much in common with was just too much.

I just made a terrific Shepherd's pie from scratch, and with a nice glass of Spanish red wine, I am immensely enjoying catching up on skating YouTubes.
  15. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Our menu:
    Turkey
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
    Green beans with ham
    Sauerkraut (its a Maryland tradition at Thanksgiving & Christmas)
    Rolls
    Chocolate Cake (for me, because I don't like pies!)
    Pumpkin Pie
    Apple Pie
    Vanilla Ice Cream

I love the taste of Sauerkraut with mashed potatoes & gravy!:)
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  16. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

My uncle isn't a big turkey fan, and he said the turkey I made was the best he has ever had. I'm patting myself on the back right now.
  17. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

We had ham,turkey,cornbread dressing,green bean casserole,sauteed green beans w/garlic for those who can't eat the green bean casserole,cranberry sauce,corn,rolls,rice,and deviled eggs.Pumpkin pie and homemade chocolate pudding were the desert options.
  18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks for the menstrual show.
    These are the best crafts ever. Period. :slinkaway

Just got back from dinner - ex-Mr. Rex and bf went above and beyond - turkey with apple cider/white wine glaze, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade cornbread dressing, sweet corn, green beans, cranberry sauce, apple & sweet potato pies with vanilla ice cream. After dinner coffee made with a French press. Just four of us and their dogs - who got their own turkey dinner :p. It was great. I'm stuffed and tired. I'm off tomorrow, and I can get my papers done for class.
  19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The usual (and yummy) suspects: turkey, stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes, green beans, cranberries and a variety of pies. We did have a simple green salad and delicious butternut squash soup to start. The soup was a hit. I have been fighting off sleep since completing the feast.
  20. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Happy Thanksgiving to all the FSU types in/from the US! i hope you had a great day!
  21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Our TG menu:

Frijoles molidos and chips (made by me--appetizer)
    Turkey and gravy (both turned out spectacular!)
    Mashed potatoes
    Baked yams and apples (yum!)
    Sage stuffing
    Sweet corncake
    Green beans and mushrooms in cream sauce
    Mac and cheese
    Pickled artichokes and cauliflower
    Cranberry sauce
    Dinner rolls w/butter and burberry jam

Dessert:

Homemade pumpkin ice cream
    Pecan pie
    Pecan cheese cake
    Pumpkin pie
    Sugar-free pumpkin pie
    Cherry/apple/rhubarb pie
    Macaroons

(I limited myself to the ice cream and one slice of the fruit pie)

Now I contented sit in food coma... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!
    mmscfdcsu and (deleted member) like this.
  22. znachki

znachki Active Member

So last week my sis and I had to make a change in our Thanksgiving plans, and are doing the traditional dinner tonight with the usual Thanksgiving gang.

We decided to have steaks, and make the pies for Friday. Then, we found out that some other friends were in a similar situation, and well... so, last night we had:

Manhattans
    Cheeses - we had a blue (goat,sheep & cow), a semi-soft (cow) and a harder chesse that was sheep. The name of the dairy for the last was "Lord of the Hundreds". Loved the name.
    Marcona Almonds
    Assorted Olives

Rib-eyes with a red wine shallot pan sauce & sauteed mushoomes
    Baked potatoes with all the trimmings
    Warm Butternut Squash onion and herb salad with goat-cheese and vinagrette dressing.
    Artichoke hearts
    Home-made rolls
    Sangoviese

Egg Nog & Pumpkin pie
    Champagne

Tonight - Turkey and all the trimmings.
    Saturday - Brunch here: http://bastilleseattle.com/Menus

Eat-a-palooza 2011
  23. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

My menu was:

Candied Yam(fresh yams, no canned yams for me)
    Collard Greens
    Turnips Green w/smoked pork neck bones
    Broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and snap peas medley(Birdseye brand)
    Mashed Potatoes
    Cornbread Dressing

Grilled Whole Turkey
    Glazed Ham

Sweet Potatoe Pie
    Apple & Raisin Bread Pudding
    Devil's Food Cake

*It was my first time grilling the turkey and it turned out very well. It was son of gun replenishing the charcoals to keep the turkey at a constant temp. It took about 3 hours for a 14 pound turkey but flavor was fantastic. The legs started to open up while cooking. Next time I'll wrap the turkey in foil all around. The brine I used the night before kept the turkey juicy but I'll do a brine and flavor injections next time.
  24. Civic

Civic New Member

We ate at my middle sister's house this year. The menu:

Seven layer salad
    Roast turkey
    Baked ham
    Cornbread dressing
    Collard greens
    Green beans
    Mashed potatoes
    Dinner rolls
    Cornbread
    Sweet potato pie
    Chocolate cake with strawberry frosting

There were 11 of us and we had lotsa leftovers
  25. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Ooh, lovely. I love Boston Market. I used to eat there a lot when I lived in Boston, but when I moved to NY, there weren't any near me. They recently built one near my work, and I went there, and remembered how much I like it.

We had a small Thanksgiving. My brother-in-law up in NH, who formerly was a stay at home husband, very recently asked his wife for a divorce, and is now living with his mom in Mass. Luckily, even after five years of not working, his particular skill set (commercial large vehicle license and tons of related experience) is so in demand in his area that he got a job by sneezing at one. He's now a driver for UPS - very good job, lots of hours. But it means he's not only working day before and after Thanksgiving, but also, as both the new guy and someone who needs serious and sudden cash, ON Thanksgiving. So husband's family could not come down, as they normally do, and did not do Thanksgiving at their house due to his working. So we had a small Thanksgiving at our house. It's always a pleasure not to have to travel for a major holiday, so we're happy and, even a day later, I feel like I'm still full!

We did get the world's smallest turkey. Turkette? :lol: We had mashed potatoes, acorn squash instead of our normal for Thanksgiving butternut, stuffing, green beans, candied carrots, rolls, and my special, spicy cranberry sauce. All lovely.
  26. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Yes... the one thing we forgot to do is make a dessert. We normally make a pie, but we forgot. It was, I admit, a sad moment when we did remember.
  27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Did not get any greens this year...clearly, I will have to make some myself.
  28. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Porcini mushroom encrusted potatoes
    Chanterelle Pot Pie
    White King Salmon for Mr. LaineRB and a few friends
    Actual wild rice and hedgehog mushrooms

Cloudberry, tart
    Wild Alaskan Cranberry Tart
    Crabapple cake
    Butternut squash pie
  29. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

So, having done the hors d'oeuvres and desserts for son, who did the whole main meal, we had no turkey leftovers, and I might have to do a breast here soon. But I did have some mini meals of cheeses, shrimp and chocolate flourless cake, pecan pie, apple crisp and my daughter's favorite, pumpkin chocolate bread pudding from Michael Symon on The Chew.

Today I am craving fish, weird.
  30. mmscfdcsu

I just got home for a surprise Thanksgiving. :lol: I thought I was just going over to see my friends, They were visiting colleges over Thanksgiving. When I got to their house at 1:00 pm there was a whole meal waiting. Turking, stuffing corn cassarole, cranberry sauce, jello, sweet potatoes, rolls, green beans apple and pumpkin pies and a nice white wine. Yum.
  31. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Mary, that is great...so you did have a turkey dinner...
  32. mmscfdcsu

Yes, they are amazing people. Wanted to celebrate the last Thanksgiving before the kids go off to college, together. I'm a very lucky lady.
  33. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

So glad you got your Holiday dinner.