Whatsha eatin' for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I know there's a recipe thread, but I didn't notice a Thanksgiving meal thread this time around... mods, if I am in error, please feel free to shut this one down.

I'll be going to my sister's place, lots of family. We'll have the typical turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing... plus, everyone chips in. I don't know what else others are making--I'm bringing frijoles molidos as an appetizer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I'm spending Thanksgiving by myself this year. Looking forward to some peace and quiet. I am not cooking, but stopped and bought chicken, mashed potato, corn and pumpkin pie at Boston Market. I have cranberry sauce as well. I'm all set. :)

PeterG, jamesy, Rex and 5 others like this.
  3. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I am making turkey, home made stuffing, asparagus, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce and corn. Others are bringing pies, muffins, sweet potatoes, squash casserole, salad and relish tray (veggies/olives/pickles). We have three kinds of wine to go with the meal - a semi-sweet white, a dry white and a red. Appetizers are a couple of dips and crackers, and potato chips for my dad.

4. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

We're having a vegan thanksgiving. I'm making stuffed squash and a root veggie salad with orange vinaigrette. My mother's making lentil loaf (shut up :p) and a dessert or two. My sister is bringing vegan mashed potatoes and maybe something else. Maybe I'll saute some asparagus for something green.

ETA: This is very similar to the recipe I used for the squash except I didn't use cranberries (damn!), I used white rice (another damn) and I used celery root instead of celery.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like lentil loaf but i'm too lazy to cook

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Filet mignon, crab cakes, roasted veggies, baked potato casserole, chocolate silk pie! Yum!

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberries, mashed potatos, sweet potatos, rolls, peas and peach pie. The peach pie is for breakfast.

And wine. Lots and lots and lots of wine.

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, cream corn, stuffing, rolls, apple cider, blueberry pie. I think that's all.

9. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

My niece made some sort of a pumpkin dip and we're also noshing off a veggie tray to start. Dinner will be the usual - turkey, ham, my mom's stuffing, green bean casserole (blech), garlic mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, cranberries (jelled and fresh whole ones my mom made), and rolls. Dessert will be all pies - pumpkin, apple and cherry.

10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

This is dinner for 21:

Meal -- turkey (which I just finished stuffing with truffle butter under the skin), garlic mashed potatoes, two types of stuffing, corn pudding, yams, spicy cranberry relish, asparagus, roasted veggies, and a homemade challah.

Dessert -- cheesecake, chocolate cake, apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate-caramel fudge, and two types of chocolate chip cookies. (Only the pies are store bought.)

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

12. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Very traditional.

Turkey with sage bread stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potatoes with praline
    Green bean casserole
    Ambrosia
    Fruit salad
    Relish tray
    Raw veggies and dill dip
    Fresh made cranberry sauce
    Pecan pie
    Pumpkin pie

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Enough food to feed a battalion and have leftovers…

Pickle/Olive Plate
    Spinach Dip in a Pumpernickel bowl w/ Tortilla Chips
    Cheese Plate w/ Assorted Crackers

Deviled Eggs
    Watergate Salad
    Turkey
    Dressing and Gravy
    Honey Baked Ham
    Cranberry Mold
    Sweet Potato Soufflé
    Green Beans
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Broccoli w/ Cheese Sauce
    Tea Rolls and Mini-Croissants

Pumpkin Pie
    Pecan Pie
    Chocolate Chip Brownies
    Apple Pie
    (plus Whipped Cream and/or Vanilla Bean Ice Cream)

Wine (red and white)
    Sweet Iced Tea
    Soft Drinks

All of this for 14 people :eek: . My sister requested that everyone bring a couple of decent-sized pieces of GladWare to haul some of the inevitable leftovers home as there's no way in hell it will all fit in her fridge.

14. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

We are going to a very nice banquet center that has a huge Thanksgiving spread, complete with -- Santa Claus!

But this morning I am baking a pumpkin/chocolate/chocolate chip bundt cake and I was also going to make these delicious Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies, but somebody:revenge: ate over half bag of my other chocolate chips!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

15. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

Yummy lineup for everyone!

Before dinner pigging:
    Shrimp cocktail, cheeses (delice de Bourgogne, aged cheddar, goat log with cranberry, gouda)/crackers, pate mousse trouffe, grapes, olives

Main event:
    Turkey
    Cornbread stuffing with crumbled turkey sage sausage, onion, and celery
    Prancer's famous, artery-clogging make-ahead mashed potatoes
    Giblet gravy
    Mesclun greens with pears, roquefort and walnuts
    Herb marinated grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini, orange/yellow/red peppers, vidalia onion)
    Couple of baked yams for the ones who must have them
    Cranberries cooked in orange juice and cinnamon
    Trying to decide if we also need the steamed green beans with a touch of dill. :shuffle:

Desserts: pumpkin pie, Mr AYS's famous flourless chocolate torte, my niece's key lime pie and apparently she is also attempting some sort of bread pudding

Wine, cider, lemonade

16. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

For the first time in my life, my husband and I are going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner, and it sounds divine! I'll have the prime rib, thank you!

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

As a fan of American cooking traditions, this jumped out at me and I immediately googled it. :lol:

Sounds kinda gross actually, but maybe it's one of those recipes that's so kitschy it's good? I'm going to add it to my Super Bowl menu file. :)

For those interested, Watergate Salad.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  18. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Going out.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen New Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you, and your families.:)

I have a turkey breast roasting in the oven, and having the usual stuffing, green beans and cranberries to gobble up later.

20. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I'm going to my cousin's house and I think there are around 13 or 14 of us. I presume we're having turkey but it could be a roast. I was asked to bring my M&M cookies and I'll bring a bottle of wine, too.

Last night I baked the cookies and then a friend came over with her two kids and we had chicken bacon ranch pizza and then sampled the cookies. It was good! And fun. We then walked to the church around the corner for a Thanksgiving eve ecumenical service and that was fun, too.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I wonder why it's called a "salad"? It's a freaking dessert ! :lol:

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Seems to be in the tradition of molded jello salads, which were all the rage in the 40s-60s. This recipe is mid 1970s, and as one might expect, was created by a food company to sell their new product (as are so many of the dishes that we think of as "mom's special recipe" - she got them off the back of a box or a can folks!).

Nowadays, I don't eat any processed foods and only the tiniest amount of sugar, so of course this recipe is :yikes:. But Super Bowl Sunday is the one day I break ALL the rules and we pig out on all the crap that we don't allow ourselves the rest of the year, and this just got added to my list.

I love old recipes, especially when there are stories and traditions associated with them.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Are you in Atlanta, Holley?

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've been invited to four different places this year - I'm going to two of them. One I'm going to shortly, just to nibble on snacks and schmooze a bit. Then, later, I'm going to my ex's. His bf makes a great turkey and all the classic sides, plus he makes cranberry sauce from scratch, bless his heart. Hope all US FSUers have a happy Turkey Day - I know I am...

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I feel like I need to go on a diet just reading this thread. :yikes:

Hope you all are having a fun and not too dysfunctional Thanksgiving!

26. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I found a cranberry sauce recipe on line last night. Just made it and boy is is good - except that it needs eight hours to gel and I only have six hours left until dinner time. Hope it's not still liquid! :lol:

27. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

28. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

29. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Maybe putting it in the freezer for a bit will help. It works with jello. :) So does using ice cubes in place of some of the water but it sounds like it's too late for that.

30. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Cheers, the dysfunction is oftentimes the best part! ;) In my family, it's like a floorshow that comes with the meal. :watch: :biggrinbo Add booze and fasten your seatbelts! :40beers:

Thank goodness my sister-in-law is a good cook.

Wishing a fabulous Thanksgiving to all, I know I am truly thankful for so many things, it's nice to have a day on which we can reflect and/or meditate on that concept. :)