What's your most ideal results for Sochi?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Feb 27, 2013.

1. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Ideal Podiums:

Pairs:

Gold - Savchenko & Szolkowy
    Silver - Volosozhar & Trankov
    Bronze - Duhamel & Radford

Men:

Gold - Abbott
    Silver - Kozuka
    Bronze - Verner

Dance:

Gold - Virtue & Moir
    Silver - Davis & White
    Bronze - Cappellini & Lanotte

Ladies:

Gold - Kostner
    Silver - Tuktamysheva
    Bronze - Suzuki

Team:
    Gold - Russia
    Silver - USA
    Bronze - Canada

*tickled at the idea of this thread when we haven't even seen a single Olympic season program yet . . . if I end up hating the programs of my choices, I reserve the right to change my podiums*

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

In reality, it is the judges and the rules I should have faulted for not docking V/M more at 4Cs.... any team would continue if they could ... but it was an odd episode. I will leave it at that.

3. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Men
    1. Chan
    2. Fernandez
    3. Joubert

Ladies
    1. Suzuki or Sotnikova - I prefer Suzuki, but come on, seeing Russia win the one gold medal it doesn't have on home soil. Sotnikova's my favourite of the Russian Ladies
    2. Kostner
    3. Wagner

Pairs
    1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    2. Duhamel/Radford
    3. Kavaguti/Smirnov

Dance
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Weaver/Poje
    3. Bobrova/Soloviev

Team
    1. Canada (Chan, Osmond, W/P, D/R, Mt/M, V/M)
    2. France (Joubert, Amodio, Silethe, Meite, P/B, J/C)
    3. Russia (Plushenko, Tuktamisheva, Sotnikova, B/S, S/K, B/L)

Plushenko with the one medal he doesn't have. Virtue and Moir with three Olympic Gold medals. Weaver/Poje setting themselves up for a World Championship title or two in the next couple of years. Maybe Wagner as well. Seeing my three favourite Russian teams currently competing with Olympic medals from home ice. Chan winning the medal that eluded Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, and Elvis Stoijko (and Buttle/Cranston, but they weren't gonna win). The most unique national figure skating team winning silver.

4. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Oh God oh God oh God... trying to reconcile desirable with probable is not easy, so here goes a mix of both, with some World medal wishes thrown in.

Men.
    1. Chan. There I've said it. I am not even an ardent fan, but Chan is the one who made a breakthrough by showing that skating skills can be combined with 2 quads in a program and a solid 3A. And now he is adding artistry to the mix. If he manages to put it all together, I want that acknowledged and rewarded.
    2. Fernandez or Takahashi.
    3. Abbott? ( please???)
    Actually I'll count it as a great year if Abbott gets a medal of any color either at Olympics or Worlds. That's my dream for Men.

Ladies.
    1-2 Kostner or Asada, in any order.
    3. Cannot ignore Kim, but in my dreamworld, it would be Suzuki or one of Sornikova/ Tuktamysheva/ Gold/ Osmond. And I really want Suzuki to win the following Worlds ( especially if Kostner medals at Olympics and does not go.)

Dance.
    1. Davis/White
    2. Virtue/Moir.
    3. Aaaaah! Would be happy with Pechalat/ Bourzat, Bobrova/ Soloviev OR Weaver/Poje; if B/S or W/P do not medal at Olympics I really want them to medal at the following Worlds and set themselves for the next 4 years. And if P/B do not medal at Olympics, I want them to win the following Worlds.

Pairs.
    1. Volosozhar/ Trankov
    2. Savchenko/Szolkovy
    3. Duhamel/Radford.

I love both V/T and S/S; both are epic. But I am not comfortable wishing that V/T wait for four more years till 2018 because though not old, they are not young and one just never knows. But they are brilliant enough to warrant highest achievements ( something S/S have already). Besides, there are no other medals for Russians in my dream podiums, and I think honoring their great Pairs tradition with a Pairs Gold would be nice.

As amazingly talented Hanyu and Ilinykh/Katsalapov are, I'd prefer them to come into their full glory after the Olympics, after Hanyu works through his posture issues and I/K mature and become sophisticated, which I think they will.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Apparently you haven't made yourself very acquainted with the rules. When there is injury and the referee stops the music, the team MUST stop. There is NO dockage for stopping due to injury. However, the judges know that they "can" make a deduction in GOE because of the stoppage. FYI, there was injury -- Tessa had cramping in her leg(s). Should you choose to believe or ignore that such took place it your choice. Obviously the referee saw a problem since it was that person who stopped the music and not V/M which forced Scott to go over and speak with them. Maybe you should acquaint yourself
    1) with the facts of what took place at the competition
    2) with the rules
    and leave off with innuendo. The rules were equally applied to V/M in this instance as they were with the Shibs in an earlier competition when they didn't do a lift due to an injury he was experiencing. The Shibutanis were allowed a restart at a point just BEFORE the lift since they hadn't "tried" it yet. Would you be as insistent that the Shibs receive a deduction even though the rules state otherwise. I somehow doubt it.

6. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

This.

7. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Can we keep this thread about Sochi podium wishes? Please stop carrying on with the Virtue/Moir stuff.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Amen to this.

My only great desire is to see D/W with the gold medal around their necks. My dream come true.

Otherwise just watching Olympic skating is always a great joy and I'm looking forward to seeing what skaters actually make it there next year, should be exciting!

9. munow

munow New Member

My wishes:

Chan or Fernandez, whoever with better programs
    Kim with another 20+ points lead
    Virtue/Moir

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

A Men's podium that has Menshov on it.

:EVILLE:

11. sonya71

sonya71 New Member

Ladies:
    1. Asada
    2. Tuktamysheva
    3. Kostner

Mens:
    1. Chan
    2. Fernandez
    3. Takahashi

Dance:
    1. Davis/White
    2. Virue/Moir
    3. Shibs

12. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

I love this especially B/L winning ice dance medal :)

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I agree. Kurt Browning is the prime example.

I actually don't see the Olympics as all that important, but evidently a lot of skaters do. They have trained all these years to be so close to the top and have delivered memorable performances and it would be great if they could have nice closure if that's what they are after.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This is what I want to happen, not what I think will happen.

15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

This is hard. I wish there are enough medals to go around. I will wish for those who have yet to medal at Olympics in recognition of their skating skills and who are unlikely not be around in 2018. Let's spread the love and medals. :D

Men - Chan, Kozuka, Abbot
    Ladies - Caroline, Kiira Korpi, Akiko Suzuki

16. Elkmaria

Elkmaria New Member

I like this approach :) Yes, it goes without saying that the medals must be awarded to those who deliver the best performance, but I'd be especially happy if the skaters who were not so lucky during the previous Olympics, e.g. Kostner and Joubert, manage to earn a medal. I'm afraid that it's beyond realistic to hope for an individual medal for Brian, so I hope he gets a medal as part of his team. As for Kostner, she is quite likely to medal individually.

My specific wishes:

Men - Takahashi, Chan, Fernandez. I'd also be happy with Hanyu, Kozuka, Abbott, Joubert, Rippon or Brezina medalling.
    Ladies - Kostner, Suzuki, Asada. Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva or Wagner would also be great.
    Pairs - Volosozhar/Trankov, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Duhamel/Radford. I'd also be glad if Stolbova/Klimov, Bazarova/Larionov, Berton/Hotarek and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch do well.
    Dance - Davis/White, Virtue/Moir, Bobrova/Soloviev or Ilinykh/Katsalapov. Not so many favorites here :) But if Meryl and Charlie win gold, I probably won't care much about the rest, though it would be nice to see a Russian team on the podium.

17. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

Ladies
    1. Zhang
    2. Nagasu
    3. Wagner

Men
    1. Brian Joubert
    2. Daisuke Takahashi
    3. Max Aaron

Pairs
    S/S
    V/T
    Du/Rad

Dance
    1. Davis/White
    2. Virtue/Moir
    3. Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill

18. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

...Michelle Kwan too.

19. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I find your 3rd place pick for dance ... interesting. Great, but interesting. I enjoy those two a great deal and was so disappointed when he took a tumble at Canadians this year.

20. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Ladies
    1. Kim
    2. Kostner
    3. Wagner

Men
    1. Chan
    2. Yan
    3. Joubert

Pairs
    1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    2. Pang & Tong
    3. Volosozhar & Trankov

Dance
    1. Virtue/Moir
    2. Pechalat/Bourzat
    3. Davis/White

21. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Ladies
    1. Kim
    2. Kostner
    3. Wagner

Men
    1. Chan
    2. Yan
    3. Joubert

Pairs
    1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    2. Pang & Tong
    3. Volosozhar & Trankov

Dance
    1. Virtue & Moir
    2. Pechalat & Bourzat
    3. Davis & White

22. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I sometimes mix the names of them and Bobrova & Soloviev up, perhaps since I go into the same semi coma everytime I am forced to think of either one.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

If my favorite skaters win the Olympics great! But if they do not it doesn't change my devotion to them. I like to look at the body of work rather than the number or color of medals. Kurt and Michelle Kwan are my favorite singles skaters. That neither has a gold medal does not matter to me. That said I don't know who my dream podium is yet. I know I want the North American dance teams to do well and I love Mao, Carolina and Alissa C.'s sweetness both on and off the ice. I like sonya71's choices for the men (Chan, Fernandez, Takahashi) and would love to see the Russians do well in pairs. That is it so far.

24. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Ladies

Gold:Asada
    Silver:Wagner
    Bronze:Kim or Suzuki (If Kim wins bronze, then Suzuki gets silver at post worlds)
    4th:Kostner

Men

Gold:Takahashi
    Silver:Chan
    Bronze: Plushenko (just to see his reaction LOL :p)
    4th:Abbott or Joubert

Pairs

Gold:Savchenko/Szolkowy
    Silver:Volosozhar / Trankov
    Bronze:Kavaguti/Smirnov
    4th: Duhamel/Radford or Denney/Coughlin

Dance:

Gold: Davis/White
    Silver:Virtue/Moir
    Bronze: Pechalat/ Bourzat
    4th:Weaver/Poje

Team Event
    1)USA (highly unlikely esp. with men and pair; probably settle for silver or bronze)
    2)Japan (again unlikely esp. with dance and pair)
    3)France (depends on the day)
    4)Canada or Russia(if Plush does well then they will probably settle for 3rd, maybe even 2nd)

:cheer2:

25. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Okay, if we've got a wish list going, I'll put up:

Men:

1. Takahashi
    2. Fernandez
    3. Hanyu

Ladies:

1. Kim or Asada
    2. Kim or Asada
    3. Suzuki

Dance:

1. Davis/White
    2. Weaver/Poje
    3. Virtue/Moir (Actually, if Tessa were skating alone I'd have her higher. I really can't stand Scott Moir.)

Pairs:

1. V/T
    2. S/S
    3. P/T

Team Event:

1. USA (I said it was a wish list)
    2. Japan
    3. Canada

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Okay, so back to topic. My (pretty realistic and traditional) wish list:

Men:

1. Chan (really in many ways the best male skater of the most recent years, even though not my favorite, and despite an unsteady season he continues improving)
    2. Takahashi (overall I love him more than Chan, and if next season he will have better programs, I might change my mind about his and Chan's placement)
    3. Hanyu (so talented, but too young and green to be the Olympic champion now - he has much room to grow before that) or Fernandez (would be great to see)

4. Plushenko (would be great if he could still do it) or Fernandez

Ladies:

1. Kim (I like her, and I would love her to go out there, have two great skates and win again in spite of all the naysayers)
    2. Kostner (just love her)
    3. Asada (I like her too, so this is a bit difficult for me - I guess when the time comes all my wishes will depend on the programs and the real performances)

4. Any of Wagner, Suzuki, Sotnikova or Tuktamisheva (I like all of them)

Pairs:

1. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov (on the one hand, I like S/S, and it would be great if they could end their impressive career with Olympic gold, on the other hand, remembering that Sochi actually was/is the main reason why V/T came together and their main goal... + I like them too. Again, it will depend on the programs and the actual skates)
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy or Volosozhar/Trankov
    3. Pang/Tong (just so that it all wouldn't have been in vain - for themselves)

4. Kavaguti/Smirnov (I really hope that they'll be able to rehabilitate and reestablish themselves as one of the top pairs)

Dance:

1. Virtue/Moir (just can't help it - I love them)
    2. Davis/White (yes, like them too, but not quite as much as I like V/M)
    3. Pechalat/Bourzat (again, I like them, and I wish them an Olympic medal)

4. Weaver/Poje or Bobrova/Soloviev (or probably Ilinykh/Katsalapov - really depends on the programs for next season)

Team event:

1. Canada (I guess - with Virtue/Moir, Chan, Duhamel/Radford, Weaver/Poje (whom I like too), Moore-Towers/Moskovitch, Kaitlyn Osmond, even Reynolds)
    2. Russia
    3. Japan, France or USA

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  27. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

Ladies

Gold Mao
    Silver Carolina
    Bronze Adelina

Men
    Gold Daisuke
    Silver Javier
    Bronze Patric or Yuzuru

Dance
    Gold D/W
    Silver V/M
    Bronze P/B

Pairs
    Gold V/T
    Silver S/S
    Bronz P/T

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Ladies
    Gold- Gold
    Silver- Kim, Asada, or Kostner
    Bronze-Kim, Asada, or Kostner

Men
    Gold- Hanyu
    Silver -Chan
    Bronze- Javier Sanchez, Takahashi or Kozuka

Pairs- I don't care

Dance
    Gold- Davis/white
    Silver- Moir/virtue

29. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Ooooo! I did one of these wish lists a couple years before the last Olympics and 3 of them came true - not something I even thought possible when I made the wishes since there were odds against them winning including injuries and newbiness! The only person I wished to win who didn't last time was Takahashi.

Dance
    1/ Virtue and Moir 2/Davis and White 3/ Pechelat and Bourzat or Bobrova and Soloviev = Also okay with Weaver and Poje on podium

Pairs
    1/Volosozhar and Trankov or Pang and Tong 2/ Whichever of those 2 doesn't win 3/ Savchenko Szolkowy - Also okay with MTM orDR on podium

Women
    1/ Mao Asada 2/Yuna Kim or Akiko Suzuki 3/ The other one - Also okay with Ashley Wagner or Carolina Kostner on the podium

Men - This is the hardest! For 2010 I wanted Takahashi to win so so badly! But I have come to love Patrick Chan's skating so much!

1/Chan slightly edges out Takahashi but I want them both to win! 2/ If there can't be a tie for gold then the other 2/ Fernandez or Hanyu- though I think one of them could win too and if it weren't for C and T I would love that too! -- Also okay with Kozuka or Abbott being on the podium or even Joubert

Oooo! It is such an exciting time for skating!

ETA btw I do think it is a bit weird when people get righteous about thread drift.

30. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Ladies

Gold: Suzuki
    Silver: Kim
    Bronze: Asada

Men

Gold: Chan
    Silver: Takahashi
    Bronze: Plushenko

Pairs

D/R on the podium

Dance

Gold: V/M
    Silver: P/B
    Bronze: D/W

Team:
    Gold: Canada
    Silver: Depends on who's on the team, I want to say Japan but it is still questionable if they can get a pair's team in.
    Bronze: See Silver.