What's your favorite comfort food?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Nov 6, 2012.

1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Cheese grits
    The Potato in all its glorious forms
    tortilla chips
    Ben & Jerry's strawberry cheesecake ice cream

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Love grits! So hard to come by in these parts. Love oatmeal too, and have never been able to replicate by beloved grandmother's version, sigh.

3. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Nope not together. But ginger ale is a comfort food as is coffee ice cream. I agree with the soups. Especially tomato soup.

4. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Skyline chili. Oh, and I lived one year in Iowa and they have this franchise called Maid-Rite. Not that I get them often, but I am meeting a friend in Iowa next week and I plan to eat three Maid Rites with yellow mustard, onion, and pickle. Then I just may get me a breaded pork tenderloin. Iowa has some good comfort food. Oh man, they also have the Canadian bacon/sauerkraut pizza there!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Everyone who says homemade Mac and Cheese is #1, do you have a recipe?

I only ever tried it once, the recipe was basically: make a white sauce on the stove, cover over macaroni, add bread crumbs, and bake in the oven. I found it dry.

I'm not a fan of Kraft Dinner, but I do like home made pasta. Usually I just make a white sauce and add parmesan reggianio, then toss over pasta.

But I'd love a good recipe for home made mac and cheese.

6. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Pizza, mint chocolate chip/cookies & cream ice cream, cannoli, Key Lime pie

7. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Another vote for potatoes so long as cheese isn't involved.

8. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Pot roast. Roast chicken. That kind of thing. Looks like the weather will finally cool down for winter soon, so I can make some pot roast!

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The basic baked mac and cheese recipe is:

Cook 1 lb of elbow macaroni until al dente

Make a white sauce with 2 cups of milk (whole is, of course, best tasting), 2-4 TBS flour (I always put more than called for), a small onion, and butter (cook the onion in butter until soft, add the flour, cook 1-2 minutes, take off heat, add milk, put back on heat). Once the white sauce is made, add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheeses of your choice, and I normally add 2.5-3 cups cause if you're gonna do it... :shuffle:). The basic recipe I first used called for whole grain mustard mixed in (1 tbs, I think?), and another common ingredient is nutmeg.

Throw the elbow macaroni in the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly. Spread in a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs, bake at 350.

So, yeah, that's basically it. It never seems dry to me. There are about a thousand variations on the simple recipe, of course, using all sorts of cheeses, adding broccoli, adding bacon... there was this amazing looking one in a magazine once with bacon, bell peppers, hot peppers... 1300 calories per serving. Bet you it tasted amazing. I couldn't justify actually making it :lol: You could always experiment with different pasta shapes and cheeses, and adding various vegetables, to see if it makes it less dry for you.

10. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl Well-Known Member

What do grits taste like in comparison to oatmeal?

I'm another one for home-made mac and cheese, especially when the cheese goes all brown and crispy on the top :swoon:

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think many make it without a recipe, just from having done it many times. I will vary the cheese for example, based on what I have, maybe use cream instead of milk if that's what I have, different pasta shapes, possible add bacon or onions or tomatoes, and vary the topping from cheese and/or bread crumbs to nothing at all.

I suggest checking a site like Martha Stewart, where you know the recipe has been tested and perfected. Taste of Home is another good one - real recipes from real home cooks (often likely to have pre-processed ingredients, but this is comfort food after all!).

For a gourmet mac and cheese, this one is really good - Double Dutch Mac and Cheese with Chard from Bon Appetit

I'm not a grits expert, just tend to like porridgy foods like oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits and congee. Much as I'm a cheese fan, I don't find it works with grits (don't shoot me southerners!), and I prefer congee plain as well (instead of with meat or shrimp). I guess you could say that oatmeal has lots of flavour on its own, but grits are a lot plainer to me.

12. allezfred

Grits (what a horrible name for a food :yikes: ) are quite similar to polenta.

13. SpiralGirl

I don't think I've never had congee, grits or polenta. I've travelled a fair bit for my age, so even if we don't eat them in England, I probably could have somwehere. Now I feel so un-cultured :drama:

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Polenta is pretty common in Italian restaurants and I've seen it on menus in non-Italian restaurants as well. Grits are pretty much a southern US speciality, and I never had congee until I went to Hong Kong :)

(Happy memories of breakfasts of dumplings, fried rice with condiments, congee and tea - yum yum yum!)

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

A better question for me would be what ISN'T my comfort food. :shuffle:

SpiralGirl and (deleted member) like this.
  16. SpiralGirl

I must have had polenta at some point and just not realised then! Also, I spent 4 weeks in China so I probably had congee and didn't realise either. Thanks for the clarification :)

allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

So have I told you lately that I love you? Dinner tonight!

18. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This ^

And homemade brownies.

For my husband it is soup. Any kind of soup. I make it all winter.

19. allezfred

They probably have polenta in Waitrose. ;)

SpiralGirl and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Macaroni & Cheese - any variety, gourmet, Kraft, Giant prepared meals, Trader Joes, who cares.

Grilled cheese with bacon and tomato soup.

If I am sick:

Thai Tom Yum Koong soup (spicy shrimp chili soup)
    Spicy Chicken soup

21. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For me, a sandwich steak sauteed in real butter with Kraft or home made mac n cheese. DH can tell when I'm really upset as I'll cook up a plate and tell him to scrounge for his own dinner. He hates mac n cheese. Another weakness is gingerbread. I'll make it when I'm stressed.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Adding to the mac and cheese contingent -- especially home made with extra cheese, but nearly any kind will do. :)

Also, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup -- and even without the soup.

And mashed potatoes like my grandmother made -- perfection!

Coffee ice cream -- my local food coop has a really :swoon: one: Ciao Bella Triple Espresso Gelato. I buy it whenever it is on sale.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Thanks to this thread I had no choice for lunch today - I made mac n cheese :)

24. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is wonderful! Or I'll settle for grilled cheese and tomato. Yum! I love grilled cheese on rye bread.

I had mac and cheese too. Granted it was of the frozen dinner variety, but it was convenient and thanks to this thread, I wanted mac and cheese.

25. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Here's a list of some of my favorite comfort foods, and it's a miracle that I haven't gained a lot of weight. :lol:

Grilled cheese sandwich (yes, I love them, too)

Chicken Quesadillas

Chicken Alfredo

Beer battered shrimp

Chocolate Cake

Blue Bell Pralines & Cream ice cream.

26. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

When I make Mac and Cheese I simmer the uncooked macaroni in milk until it's almost fully absorbed and then just add grated cheese and whatever extras I want like garlic or whatever. Always comes out nice and creamy.

27. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I'm a mac and cheese person as well, and grilled cheese and tomato soup. Great comfort foods. :)

I've used philadelphia cream cheese w/mac and cheese, milk, water........all good.

28. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm attending grad school in the south, but we have students from all over the country. Shortly after arriving, one of our newly transplanted classmates asked "what's a grit" :lol:

For me, chicken noodle soup for sure...

29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I made it tonight. Because of this thread. :)

30. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Amy's frozen mac and cheese is honestly amazing. I hate off-brand boxed mac and cheese (or really anything that isn't Kraft - even Annie's isn't as good), but I bought Amy's once and couldn't believe how amazing it was. I always have a few of them in my fridge for stressful nights :lol:

Nothing beats homemade baked though, even if other varieties are nearly as amazing.