What's your favorite comfort food?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

B&J's Coffeee Heath Bar Crunch ice cream. Price Chopper is running a BOGO special this week, and with the election today... I may need something to tide me over while watching the returns come in tonight.
  2. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Mashed potatoes! Beyond that... coffee ice cream and ginger ale.
  3. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

homemade chocolate chip cookies.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Pizza, bread, Indian food, and chocolate
  5. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Homemade chicken and dumplings, my mom's beef vegetable soup, and freshly baked yeast bread with butter.
    ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  6. znachki

znachki Active Member

The family spaghetti recipe, any stew, hot & sour soup.
  7. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

For something quick my choice is a grilled cheese sandwich, preferably with a mix of cheeses.

For a longer cook meal: lasagna, made a day ahead so all those wonderful spices, sauces, meat, mushrooms, and veggies meld together. :swoon:
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A good meatloaf and homemade mashed potatoes.
  9. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

10. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Since I'm Chinese, steamed pork buns. :cheer: Soup dumplings are even better! :swoon:
  11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Cheesecake! Specifically I love the fudge brownie cheesecake from Cheesecake Bistro. It is a normal slice of cheesecake but with big pieces of brownie sprinkled all over and hot fudge drizzled on top with whipped cream. YUM!
  12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Together??

For me it depends on what I need comforting from. If it's general feeling blah / tired / ennui, then definitely mac & cheese. Hands down. If I need more instant gratification, then cheese-on-toast.

But for comfort from a cold/flu, nothing beats soup. Creamy squash or tomato, or tomato rice, or miso, or broccoli & corn, or yam & coconut, or hot and sour ... or just about any other kind of vegetarian soup will do.

I don't consider chocolate a comfort food. It's a basic food group.
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Chocolate does nothing for me. Sure, the odd brownie packed with walnuts and topped with fudgy icing is enjoyable, but given the choice, I'd take a bag of chips and tub of sour cream any day.

But I'm with those who support vodka as a food group - and don't forget the health benefits when fruit juices are added. :shuffle:
  14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The potato: French fried, mashed, baked, scalloped, au gratin, chips etc......
  15. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Exactly. The potato is your mother in vegetable form -- your mother when she was being nice and comforting and not nagging you. :p

Maybe the potato is your blankie. :shuffle:
  16. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'll never look at a potato in quite the same way again. :) ( I wish I could stop eating so many of them.)
  17. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I have to ration potato consumption. Especially with the mashed and baked ones, which actually are a delivery system for butter.
  18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And sour cream and chives or green onions!

Love the idea that it's your mother in vegetable form. Maybe not my mother and certainly not my mother in law, but as a concept :)
  19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

You two are making my mouth water. So Jenny what vegie is your mother in law?;)
  20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: at least with my own mother, who is not a great cook, I have childhood memories to warm me. But MIL, who has many outstanding qualities, is not the first person who comes to mind when discussing any kind of food, let alone one's favourite dishes ;)
  21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Cheese grits
    The Potato in all its glorious forms
    tortilla chips
    Ben & Jerry's strawberry cheesecake ice cream
  22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Love grits! So hard to come by in these parts. Love oatmeal too, and have never been able to replicate by beloved grandmother's version, sigh.
  23. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

Nope not together. But ginger ale is a comfort food as is coffee ice cream. I agree with the soups. Especially tomato soup.
  24. leesaleesa

leesaleesa New Member

Skyline chili. Oh, and I lived one year in Iowa and they have this franchise called Maid-Rite. Not that I get them often, but I am meeting a friend in Iowa next week and I plan to eat three Maid Rites with yellow mustard, onion, and pickle. Then I just may get me a breaded pork tenderloin. Iowa has some good comfort food. Oh man, they also have the Canadian bacon/sauerkraut pizza there!
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Everyone who says homemade Mac and Cheese is #1, do you have a recipe?

I only ever tried it once, the recipe was basically: make a white sauce on the stove, cover over macaroni, add bread crumbs, and bake in the oven. I found it dry.

I'm not a fan of Kraft Dinner, but I do like home made pasta. Usually I just make a white sauce and add parmesan reggianio, then toss over pasta.

But I'd love a good recipe for home made mac and cheese.
  26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Pizza, mint chocolate chip/cookies & cream ice cream, cannoli, Key Lime pie
  27. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Another vote for potatoes so long as cheese isn't involved.
  28. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Pot roast. Roast chicken. That kind of thing. Looks like the weather will finally cool down for winter soon, so I can make some pot roast!
  29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The basic baked mac and cheese recipe is:

Cook 1 lb of elbow macaroni until al dente

Make a white sauce with 2 cups of milk (whole is, of course, best tasting), 2-4 TBS flour (I always put more than called for), a small onion, and butter (cook the onion in butter until soft, add the flour, cook 1-2 minutes, take off heat, add milk, put back on heat). Once the white sauce is made, add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or cheeses of your choice, and I normally add 2.5-3 cups cause if you're gonna do it... :shuffle:). The basic recipe I first used called for whole grain mustard mixed in (1 tbs, I think?), and another common ingredient is nutmeg.

Throw the elbow macaroni in the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly. Spread in a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs, bake at 350.

So, yeah, that's basically it. It never seems dry to me. There are about a thousand variations on the simple recipe, of course, using all sorts of cheeses, adding broccoli, adding bacon... there was this amazing looking one in a magazine once with bacon, bell peppers, hot peppers... 1300 calories per serving. Bet you it tasted amazing. I couldn't justify actually making it :lol: You could always experiment with different pasta shapes and cheeses, and adding various vegetables, to see if it makes it less dry for you.
  30. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl New Member

What do grits taste like in comparison to oatmeal?

I'm another one for home-made mac and cheese, especially when the cheese goes all brown and crispy on the top :swoon:
  31. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think many make it without a recipe, just from having done it many times. I will vary the cheese for example, based on what I have, maybe use cream instead of milk if that's what I have, different pasta shapes, possible add bacon or onions or tomatoes, and vary the topping from cheese and/or bread crumbs to nothing at all.

I suggest checking a site like Martha Stewart, where you know the recipe has been tested and perfected. Taste of Home is another good one - real recipes from real home cooks (often likely to have pre-processed ingredients, but this is comfort food after all!).

For a gourmet mac and cheese, this one is really good - Double Dutch Mac and Cheese with Chard from Bon Appetit

I'm not a grits expert, just tend to like porridgy foods like oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits and congee. Much as I'm a cheese fan, I don't find it works with grits (don't shoot me southerners!), and I prefer congee plain as well (instead of with meat or shrimp). I guess you could say that oatmeal has lots of flavour on its own, but grits are a lot plainer to me.
  32. allezfred

Grits (what a horrible name for a food :yikes: ) are quite similar to polenta.
  33. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl New Member

I don't think I've never had congee, grits or polenta. I've travelled a fair bit for my age, so even if we don't eat them in England, I probably could have somwehere. Now I feel so un-cultured :drama:
  34. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Polenta is pretty common in Italian restaurants and I've seen it on menus in non-Italian restaurants as well. Grits are pretty much a southern US speciality, and I never had congee until I went to Hong Kong :)

(Happy memories of breakfasts of dumplings, fried rice with condiments, congee and tea - yum yum yum!)
  35. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

A better question for me would be what ISN'T my comfort food. :shuffle:
    SpiralGirl and (deleted member) like this.
  36. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl New Member

I must have had polenta at some point and just not realised then! Also, I spent 4 weeks in China so I probably had congee and didn't realise either. Thanks for the clarification :)
    allezfred and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

So have I told you lately that I love you? Dinner tonight!
  38. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

This ^

And homemade brownies.

For my husband it is soup. Any kind of soup. I make it all winter.
  39. allezfred

They probably have polenta in Waitrose. ;)
    SpiralGirl and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Macaroni & Cheese - any variety, gourmet, Kraft, Giant prepared meals, Trader Joes, who cares.

Grilled cheese with bacon and tomato soup.

If I am sick:

Thai Tom Yum Koong soup (spicy shrimp chili soup)
    Spicy Chicken soup