What's the one thing you just can't cook/bake...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Dec 4, 2012.

1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I live in NY; there is tuna packed in either water or oil all over the place. Neither one is hard to find. Although I eat tuna a lot, add me to the list of those who can't make a decent tuna fish salad.

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

OK I stand corrected :) I just remember that I couldn't find any packed in water in the 3 stores I shopped at (including Fairway, Citerella, the local market), so I brought a few cans from time to time from home, along with the cat food brand I couldn't find in NY either. This was a few years ago.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I want tuna packed in oil!! Can't find it here easily.

4. Patsy

Patsy Active Member

Potato salad!

I know, totally pathetic but mine is never as good as store-bought so I gave up making it myself years ago.

5. milanessa

Have you tried adding a bit of bottled Italian dressing? I find that gives it that "kick" it needs.

6. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Just in time for the holidays, I stink at making latkes (potato pancakes) from scratch. I end up with so much of my fingers in the mix that it's really a meat dish.

I stick to the box mix, now. :shuffle:

7. mkats

mkats New Member

Crispy potatoes of any kind - fries, roasted potatoes, etc. I've tried the soaking in salt water, using extra oil, etc. and they just do not crisp up. I know it's just me because I've moved a lot in the last few years and FOUR ovens cannot all have the same problem :( Any advice?

8. jamcan

jamcan New Member

rice!!!! either not cooked enough or soggy :(

9. milanessa

I have that problem with roasted potatoes. I've tried everything - parboiling, roasting raw - everything. If a Brit could please chime in and tell me how to do it I'll be forever grateful. :) I did hear something about dusting them with flour but I'm scared to try it. :lol:

Secret to good rice is (IMO) less water (I use 1 and 3/4 cup for a heaping cup of rice) and a long cooking time. After it comes to the second boil turn it on the lowest heat and let it sit for about 45 minutes.

10. jamcan

jamcan New Member

thank you!!!!

Roasted potatoes rock in foil, butter, onion and garlic on the bbq ;)

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No!!!!!!! Can't you use a food processor or something similar? Latkes should only ever be made from scratch.

If you're ever in Israel during the holiday, let me know and I will take care of this alarming situation ;)

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's what Jamie Oliver did on one of his Christmas specials that I just watched on the weekend - lots of good tips here, but ignore the picture as it's for another recipe - Perfect Roast Potatoes.

13. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

14. TheGirlCanSkate

Also - thank you to the poster who offered egg advice. I had the most perfect scrambled eggs this weekend!:hat1:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  15. milanessa

16. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

This helped so much. Thank you!

17. mkats

mkats New Member

INTERESTING. Never heard of this before, but Jamie Oliver's page also gives the same advice. I'll have to try this next time, thanks Jenny and TheGirlCanSkate!!

PS Milanessa - I tried the flour trick - didn't work for me either :lol:

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Not tofu but soy (either TVP or packaged "ground round" like Yves.)

And yes, I have no doubt that most Québécois would shudder at the very thought of a vegetarian tourtière. Luckily I've never had to serve it to anyone from la belle province.

When I first became a vegetarian we'd make a veggie tourtière and a carnivore one. But after trying both even the meat-eaters in the family proclaimed a preference for the vegetarian one ... so that's the only one we make now. And it makes sense, really -- unless you're using a really strongly flavoured meat like venison, which we never did, it's the spices (and, to a lesser extent the beer) that really gives it the unique tourtière taste.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting! I remember being at a big holiday party and talking to the MIL of the hostess, as we sampled the mini tourtieres at the buffet. I said I was interested in a good recipe and might ask the hostess for hers; the woman immediately declared that her own recipe was far superior, and when I said "but this one is quite good, no?" she said, "but I am a LeBlanc!"

:rofl: For those not versed in French Canadian history, the LeBlancs are one of the original Acadian families who settled in Nova Scotia centuries ago.

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I stink at frying potatoes, too. I've tried everything, but they always end up looking like mutilated hash browns... :(

21. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

When my husband was alive and my kids were at home, I cooked rice a lot because he preferred it to potatoes. I never had a problem with it turning out alright except that it would always boil over at some point and I'd have to add more water. I eventually started cooking it in the microwave, and it came out perfect every time, and no boiling over. It's been a long time, and I don't remember the proportions exactly, but I think it was about the same as stove top. I do remember that I always used a Corning Ware dish, about a 2 quart size, one of the old square ones with the blue flower.

22. mkats

mkats New Member

I feel like I should have advice on the rice front, being Asian and all, but I have to admit I cheated and just bought a rice cooker. :shuffle:

23. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Rice cookers rock! :respec:

24. milanessa

Rice cookers suck - at least the 2 I've tried.

25. TheGirlCanSkate

My household is Asian and in all the Asian families we know, everyone has a rice cooker (and a hot water machine) ! You don't have to watch it and it's perfect every time.

26. mkats

mkats New Member

Agreed, unless you're my dad, who always thinks he knows better than the rice cooker so he fiddles with the water level as he sees fit :rofl: We had to ban him from using the rice cooker, as he was the only person in our family who somehow managed to consistently make undercooked or overcooked rice.

27. TheGirlCanSkate

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sometimes an appliance is the answer - I love my egg cooker. No pot, no need to turn on the stove, no timer, no complicated instructions of when to remove from the heat, etc. Just set it and when the buzzer goes off, they're done exactly how you want them, and never a grey ring. I even fake poached eggs (which I've never been able to do) by doing a medium-soft and then carefully peeling for awesome benedict or florentine eggs. I have a cheapie one by Toastmaster that I've had for 20 years and used too many times to count.

29. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Yes, I also suck at roasting potatos. Never, ever turn out decent. Now, rice on the other hand....I buy the Jasmine rice from Walmart and follow the directions to a T. Simmer 20 minutes, remove from heat for 10 and fluff. I swear it turns out perfect every time. If you take the lid off of the pan and mess with it (as my hubby is want to do) it ruins it. My job on stir fry night is to make the rice because it turns our perfect; but it is SO easy. I add a little olive oil to the mix and it seems to prevent it from sticking to the pan even though it is a sticky sort of rice.

30. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

That's too bad. How do they suck? Rice too dry, too wet?