What's the one thing you just can't cook/bake...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Dec 4, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Thank you for the recipe. I will definately try it! :)

2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I've used a meat thermometer for years...it doesn't help.

I do this too. BTW, the meat always tastes fine. It's just that the meat is tough or else, the last time I made a roast in a slow oven, the meat fell into shreds & the vegetables were mush.

BTW, I have used the same candy thermometer for at least 40 yrs & my candy always comes out. I don't know how anyone makes candy without one.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Who has a recipe for the sort of brownie that is pretty thin, crackles on top, not too sweet, right in between cake-y and fudgy - the kind you would sprinkle powered sugar on top. My friend made these when i was a kid, and I have never found the right recipe.

When I try to adapt recipes I find, I can't get that crackly top right.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I've found for roast beef that the quick/slow method works even for grass-fed beef that has little fat. I make a paste of herbs and garlic and coat the outside, put in the oven at 425 for 10-15 minutes, and then turn the heat down to 325.

5. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Are you talking about pot roast? For me, pot roast always, always goes in the pressure cooker, and I add the vegetables as it cooks rather than having it all cook for the same time. The only reason I have a pressure cooker is pot roast, but that's reason enough to keep it.

6. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I have/had (?) a great brownie recipe. If I find it, I'll post it.

7. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

I can't make good tuna salad. I can actually make and stretch phyllo to a tissue thin consistency with no holes, but cannot make tuna salad.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Farmington cookbook has a great method of cooking roast beef medium rare from end to end.

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I love roast when it's so tender that it shreads... :)

Ooops, wrong quote. I was responding to Taf2002's post.

10. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

For those having problems with chocolate chip cookies, I agree shortening is the way to go as well. Also, the less time the better as they will still cook when you take them out of the oven. You also don't want to over mix your ingredients, just to the point where they are all incorporated.

If none of the suggestions help, it may be that your oven just runs hot. Try turning down the temperature a little.

11. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I just add dried Italian seasoning, some fresh rosemary, 1/2 cup of water, some veggies and jar of pepperoncinis (liquid and all) in a crock pot and it makes a great roast that falls apart.

12. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The most useful tip ever given to me on scrambling eggs is to turn the heat off under the pan about 3/4 through the scrambling process. The pan will retain enough heat to finish the cooking process and the eggs don't over cook and end up too dry or hard scrambled.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Similarly, heat the plate. That way you can put the eggs on the plate just when they are about perfect, knowing they will finish on the plate - and they won't get cold and rubbery before you have a chance to eat them. Turn the oven to 200, when it reaches heat, turn it off and put the plates in for a few minutes.

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Isn't tuna salad really just tuna and mayo and maybe some diced celery thrown in for crunchiness ?

15. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

It think it depends on how "Mom" made it... I grew up with tuna salad that had hard boiled eggs in it, but when I moved to Minnesota, most people had never heard of putting eggs in tuna salad. Of course, I don't like tuna all that much, so anything that makes it taste less fishy is fine by me.

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Also depends on whether you really want mayo or you prefer the tang of Miracle Whip. Tuna salad is like meatloaf - 1,000 recipes and no two alike.

17. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

For chocolate chip cookies, it depends on how you like them. Search for Alton Brown's three recipes: the thin, the puffy, and the chewy (those are his names). I like the chewy, and it calls for melting the butter first (no shortening!) and changing the proportions of white vs. brown sugar, and the amount of flour.

18. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I'm terrible at making bread. IF I can get it to rise and be kneaded/punched down/etc. I typically burn or undercook the loaf.

However, I am awesome at soups/stews and make some great roasts.

19. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

If you like bland food, I suppose it is. I've had spectacular tuna salad and bland. I like the spectacular, and everywhere I have had spectacular, they demure when asked for the recipe. Dunkin Donuts, of all places, used to have a tuna salad about ten years ago that was out of this world good. I was told they got it from costco, but it is not the same.

20. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Can you post a link or the recipe? My DD is a Nutella FREAK! Thanks :)

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Here's the direct link to the recipe. I don't want to raise expectations too much, but seriously, these are fantastic.

Note: I've never used nuts in mine, and my batches always come out smaller than theirs - I think the cookie size in the recipe must be quite small.

Do you like beer bread? Because this one is super-easy to make.

Another note: when I make it the bread is done in about 35 minutes.

22. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Rob, the secret to thin crackly brownies is to use a slightly larger pan than called for & decrease the baking time. I've been using this recipe from the Dallas SPCA Cookbook for years & everyone raves about them:

3/4 cup melted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (I put 2 tsps)
    3/4 cups unsifted flour
    1/2 cup cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    (optional - 1 cup pecans or walnuts)

Blend butter, sugar, vanilla. Add eggs, beat with spoon. Add baking powder, cocoa, salt, & flour, blend well. Add nuts if desired. Spread in greased & floured 8 inch square pan (I use a 8 X 11 1/2 brownie pan) & bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes (I bake for about 38 mins) or until brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan.

I occasionally ice these with fudge icing but they don't really need it.

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Wow, those look amazing! I may curse you later as they look like the type of cookies I'd end up eating waaay too many of ... but for now, thank you!

My biggest baking challenge is pastry. It's not a big deal, since I actually don't care for pastry or pies very much, but every once in while there's a need for it. Like at Christmas, for tourtière (I make a kick-ass vegetarian tourtière). Luckily my mother is the pastry queen so I usually get her to do the shells and I do the filling. Of course then she gripes about it because, in her view, the best pastry uses lard, but she has to make a vegetable shortening version for me ...

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Oh, I always make sure that I have plenty of people to share them with! And I only make 2/3 of the quantity in the recipe, too. FWIW, my main challenge is not eating too much of the cookie dough and the leftover Nutella.

25. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^^^my DD thanks you Zemgirl!

26. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I can make pretty good tuna salad, but some folks might not like it. I always buy the best tuna and drain it really well. The regular stuff is pretty much like cat food. I use boiled eggs, which I grate instead of chopping because that's the way my mother did it. I add some chopped, unpeeled apple (I like the taste and it gives a little color), chopped green olives, and chopped pecans. If I have celery, I'll add that too. I like it a little bit sweet, so I may use Miracle Whip instead of mayo if I have it on hand. I use the dressing sparingly--just enough to hold everything together. Really good!

27. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Grannyfan, my mother made it like yours except no green olives. She used grapes cut in half instead.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Tourtiere is a meat pie - do you make it with tofu instead? All the French Canadians I know are very fussy about their tourtieres, and very opinionated as to the best way to make it (theirs of course :)) and I'm trying to imagine a few of them if you were to say it's filled with tofu!

re tuna salad - in addition to mayo, onion, celery, salt and lots of pepper, I'll often add fresh parsley if I have it, and to really zing it up, finely diced red pepper and fresh cilantro. Also, in Canada you have the choice of tuna packed in water or oil, whereas all the canned tuna I saw on US store shelves was packed in oil - that can make a huge difference to flavour.

29. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

That's odd because I have a hard time finding tuna packed in oil. Maybe it's just the area of the country you're looking in.

30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Admittedly yes - this was when I lived in NY a few years back.