What's the one thing you just can't cook/bake...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

The secret to a good omelett is to heat the non-stick pan, spray it, lower the heat, add egg mixture, and keep shaking it. I like to use a bit very cold water and no milk.

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Some of that sounds like over-cooking. Over-cooking cookies is a common problem. They need to look a little undone when you take them out of the oven, but not too undone.

3. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Lemon cheesecake squares were my worst disaster...couldn't get the lemon to firm up on top of the cheesecake mixture.

I also am not good at pancakes....they stick to the pan or tear apart. My mom tells me to use more oil in the frying pan.

I do make a mean chocolate chip cookie (you have to watch them like a hawk or they will burn) and apricot/raisin cake.

4. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Hot pan, cool oil = no stick.

5. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

Bread; I just cannot seem to knead it correctly; it's always sticky and gummy and ends up everywhere but the bread pan. :duh: :wuzrobbed :fragile: :wall:

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Gravy -- either too thin, too gloppy, too salty or tasteless no matter what I do.
    Vinaigrette dressing -- if I pour olive oil and vinegar right on my salad, it is just fine, but if I try to make a jar of vinaigrette, it is either too oily or too vinegary no matter what recipe I follow or what ratio I put in.
    Eggs over easy - I always break them.

But I can bake without recipes. I just know how the dough/mix should feel. Go figure.

7. puglover

puglover Active Member

My worst are meringues and yorkshire pudding. Sometimes the yorkshire pudding rises and other times they turn out like hockey pucks. It makes me sad because I grew up having yorkshire pudding every Sunday as both my mother and grandmother were such pros at it. My family is happier when I don't even try because I am always so disappointed when they don't turn out and everyone is trying to make me feel better by making a gallant attempt at eating them.

8. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I'd love to have your pie crust recipe! :)

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Gravy! How could I forget about that? I can make a white flour/meat fat/milk gravy, but when I try to make roast, chicken, or turkey gravy it never works...

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Add me to that list.

My little sister, though, would decide at 9:30 at night to bake an apple pie, and within two hours, a delicious pie, for which she hadn't measured a single ingredient carefully, would be on the cooling rack. I'm missing that gene.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

For chocolate chip cookies, I just use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's chocolate chip recipe and underbake it by two minutes :shuffle: They come out great every time.

12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I flunk at pie crust. The things I have to pass off as pies make me cry.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

For those talking about pancakes, the last batch I made looked as good as anything I have ever seen at an IHOP and the trick was to NOT GREASE THE PAN. I recently bought one of these and its a true non stick surface. If you grease the surface then you will get an uneven color on the pancake. I think in my next batch I may use some cake flour along with all purpose and see if that gets them even lighter. Pancakes are an obsession of mine but I don't want to have to go to IHOP every time I want some.

14. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Some people will flame me for what they perceive as heresy, but ditch the butter altogether. The original Toll House Cookie was made with shortening (Crisco), not butter, and in this case I think they got it right. For the classic chocolate chip cookie, it's Crisco, not butter that you should be using. It makes a far better cookie in this rare case. Other cookies, go for the butter, but not in this instance.

Meanwhile, I'm with Southpaw. I have yet to successfully cook dried beans; I think I need to lower my heat and cook them more slowly. I'm not giving up yet though.

15. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I can usually bake what I set my mind to do - m next project will be to make croissants, it might take a few tries...

I have yet to perfect bagels, the last time I had way too much baking soda in the poaching liquid, they tasted a bit like pretzels :p

I have a hard time with gravy - usually turns out too thin.

As for savory pie crusts most recipes need a bit of pre baking for them not to turn mushy.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

For beans, I always soak and then cook them for 1.5-2 times longer than any recipe says to, which often means pre-cooking them separately.

A friend told me never to add salt to beans until they are cooked all the way through. Otherwise they'll stop cooking.

17. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

To me chicken/turkey gravy is incredibly easy, all you need to do is whisk constantly. It's best to start with less flour and then add more. I usually add salt, pepper, and some wine or broth.

However, I usually cook chicken and turkey in a broth/wine mix loaded with garlic. This means that I'm starting out with a consomme rather than just the fat.

But the recipe is one that has never failed.

18. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I cook beans (pinto, navy, etc.,) in a crock pot. Super easy and they turn out great every time. I put in salt at the start and have never had a problem.

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Bread where you have to use yeast. Don't know why or how, but I manage to kill the yeast every single time and end up w/flatter than flat bread. My last try could have doubled for a door stop.

20. duane

duane New Member

Add me to this list.

I wish I could invite many of you over for breakfast. I throw down on some pancakes.

21. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I can cookmost things, but I cannot scramble eggs.

22. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Dried beans are easy: start with pouring over boiling water and soak them 1-2 hours (no need to use cold water overnight as many places say, I don't have patience). Then cook for about an hour before following be rest of the recipe if you, though many already accommodates this. If you are making black bean soup, for instance, you can start with the beans + bay leaf + ham hock and just let the beans soak up all the flavor.

See this recipe, for instance: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/black_bean_soup/

I love simply recipes, my favorite cooking blog, I have hardly ever run into trouble following her directions. (Except making gravy, bah!!)

Southpaw and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Absolutely no to that! Even if I could find shortening where I live, which is doubtful, I wouldn't do it. If anyone has trouble with chocolate chip cookies, just use this David Lebovitz recipe (the nuts are optional). It's the last chocolate chip cookie recipe you'll ever need.

I don't know how to make candy, and I really want to. But anything involving thermometers terrifies me, so I'm doomed to a caramel-less existence.

ETA: since Simply Recipes has been mentioned - make their Nutella cookies. Again, the nuts are really kind of optional and the cookies are incredibly good.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Shortening works better in some cookies and butter in others.

"cookies made with shortening and no extra water added, for example, are higher and lighter, while butter cookies are flatter and crispier. This is because butter has a lower melting point than shortening, causing them to spread faster and more in the short time it takes to bake a cookie."

I think that is why shortening might work better in a cookie with brown sugar, chocolate, nuts, etc. You don't rely on the cookie part to give all its flavor. Shortbread on the other hand needs butter to have flavor.

I like roll out sugar cookies with shortening - the cookie stays even - with butter the edges are lower and crispier.

25. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

Brownies :( I followed hundred recipes and just can't do them right.

26. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This is from a book called Earth to Table. I've made it many, many times now, and used the crust for pies, quiches and pot pie toppings. For savoury pies, you can mix in a bit of fresh herb such as thyme or some cayenne pepper - pretty and delicious! Warning: it is VERY buttery.

For two crusts, easily cut in half for one:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I like unbleached)
    2 tsp salt (I find this way too much so only do 1 tsp)
    1/4 tsp granulated sugar (I use raw sugar, no problem)
    1 cup cold unsalted butter
    1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water (this will vary)

Now here's the trick - as already mentioned, everything must be as cold as possible. This is to maintain the texture of the fat, which results in a flaky crust. When I'm about to make this, I put the butter in the freezer while I do everything else, and all the utensils in the fridge, then I wash my hands in as cold water as possible. LOVE the idea posted above of putting a few ice cubes in the water!

Then, instead of going through the trouble of cutting up the butter with two knives or using a pastry blender - both of which can be time consuming, resulting in the butter starting to melt - you use a box grater and grate the butter through the larger holes. Then, you toss it by hand with the dry ingredients like a salad, so each shred of butter is now coated. Then gradually add the water and knead until it all comes together. Shape into two fat disks, wrap in plastic (I just put them in ziplocks and squeeze out the air) and chill for 30 mins, or even a day or two (very handy when entertaining to get this done in advance!). Then roll out (having it disk shape helps this) and away you go.

Just don't ask me how to shape the crust, because as I said I'm a disaster at that. :)

And for those who like to do pies sweet and savoury, this is a lovely, fun and very good book on the subject - The Book of Old Tarts.

There are so many ways to make scrambled eggs - what is the issue, and maybe we can help?

What kind do you like? Gooey or dry? Icing or no icing? Cocoay, dark chocolate, more milky chocolate? Again, so many recipes out there, maybe we can help point you in the right direction.

I have an old clipped out recipe from Cosmopolitan that I used to make - very, very rich with tons of chocolate squares, eggs, sugar and cream. Haven't tried this one that just popped up on Facebook this morning, but Bon Appetit is usually good - Cocoa Brownies.

I confess that it's been so long since I really baked much that the last time I wanted brownies (Super Bowl party), rather than buy a bunch of ingredients I won't use again, I just bought a box of Betty Crocker and threw a ton of walnuts into it. As a child, when my mom asked what kind of birthday cake I wanted, I often said brownies - so she's make a box with extra walnuts, and then ice it with a simple mix of icing sugar, unsalted butter and milk. *drooling at the thought*

27. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I can make any kind of gravy. To add flour I mix it with water or milk, stir it up, & use a sieve when adding to the pan. No lumps!

For choc chip cookies I use 1/2 butter & 1/2 shortening.

My downfall is brisket. I've never cooked one that was tender. And my beef roast is almost as bad.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Taste? Texture? Doneness?

I have to say buying a meat thermometer saved my marriage. Seriously - the first time we tried to roast a chicken many years ago we carefully calculated the time and followed all the hints about poking it, colour of juices, whether the thigh is loose etc, and it was just awful. Didn't make another one for years. Ditto roast beef - all that calculating, and it never turned out right. With a meat thermometer, it's perfect every time.

Also, try to buy really good beef that has fat in it, because it will be more juicy. Roast it low and slow - about 325 degrees. We put it on a rack, and add a little water (and re-add) to the pan for extra moisture. For seasoning, we do just a dusting of English Prime Rib Rub to enhance the flavour, and it turns out beautifully every time with a nice tasty crust and perfect doneness inside.

29. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I don't eat roast beef, but I've been told the ones I make are fabulous. ;)

The trick I learned from MamaHabs is to melt some butter in the roasting pan, liberally sprinkle the raw roast with seasoned salt and pepper, and then brown all sides of the roast in the melted butter on top of the stove. When the outside is brown (takes just a few minutes), cover the roaster and pop it into the oven to slow roast in low heat - 300-325 seems to work well.

30. Marilou

Marilou New Member

For me it's Yorkshire pudding! It is just never consistant - add to that the fact that my husband's grandmother was from Yorkshire and made the BEST Yorkshire pudding ---well, you get the picture ;)