What's so Great About Figure Skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by mark247, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mark247

mark247 New Member

Anyone remember Ryan Jahnke? Apparently he's got an online store for used figure skating stuff, but check out this video he put up as a compilation for a contest he had.

Just a nice, inspiring video about people telling what's so great about figure skating. What do you think is so great about figure skating?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTcUqWbtDiI&feature=related

2. quartz

quartz Far beyond these castle walls

Can't watch the video at the moment (at work) but, my standard reply to non-believers is that figure skating is the perfect mix of the sublime and the ridiculous. When its good its beautiful and when its bad its just plain hysterical. (And sometimes the badder it is, the gooder it is!)

3. mark247

mark247 New Member

Haha, sublime and ridiculous, eh? I'd say that's a pretty good description.

4. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It's my escape from reality. Whether I'm doing it, watching it, or reading about it.

manleywoman and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Civic

Civic New Member

It's the perfect blend of sport and art. It's a demanding, exacting sport whose intricate, often arcane, rules appeal to my inner nerd. It's a marvelous escape from everyday life. It's also a good way to broaden one's musical horizons. I first heard the music of Raul de Blasio and Bond through figure skating.

6. Kelleys6th

Kelleys6th Active Member

The cool wind in my face!
    The feeling of accomplishment when you can do something new!

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

The skandals! :skandal I'm joking, obviously. :p

8. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Skaters who have moved me to tears with their beautiful performances, like Ryan Jahnke did at Worlds in 2003!

9. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

All of the above plus...

Makes Winter in Canada bearable!

Grit. Struggling with health issues over a period of a few years, I could look in the faces of skaters and find the will to persevere. I'm thinking primarily of Elvis, who stands out for me for that alone!

Being older,unable to move as a young fit person, I am so grateful that I can lose myself in skaters' performances. I will always love Kurt Browning for being able to make me feel like a 14-yr. old every time he skates!