What's right with people these days??

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

Check out this story of passersby saving children from a car in an icy river:

Passerby rescue children after icy river crash (AP)

2. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Outstanding :cheer2:. Thanks for sharing this story!
  3. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

I second that! Good to start off the year with an inspirational story.
  4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Fantastic story: What is right with people these days? I don't have a link but I did see a news story last week where people make donations to poor, usually single people who cannot afford the medicine their dog or cat needs. These animals are their companions in what can be a difficult life. I was touched.

I like this thread--I bet there is more good news than bad--we just hear about the bad.
  5. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Bad news sells more advertising than good. We (generally) are more likely to believe bad news over good news; as a society, any generoristy is often looked at with a certain degree of cynisism/disbelief.

In a general sense, there should be more good news. Volunteerism is the highest its been in years, especially among young people. Despite news broadcasts and sensationalistic headlines, violent crime numbers continue to fall. Regarding that sacred institution of marriage that's always in danger, women have a better chance of being married now than they did at the turn of the century. Even better, if you throw out serial divorcers, the incidents of divorce is well below 50%.

Even bullying--for all the horror stories you hear on the news, the fact that we even give it time is a good thing. The fact that people report bullying is a good thing. Twenty years ago, kids would have been told to "man up" and if something happened to a kid that was different, well, that's what s/he got for being different. The fact that most of us are outraged when teachers/schools/adults/communities don't take action is a HUGE step forward. I remember how special ed kids were treated when I was in school, and how they're treated now is astounding, in a good way. People decry public school performance, but on the other hand, we no longer are able to shove kids that don't perform well to the side. It's harder, if not impossible, for most public schools to pad test scores by throwing out kids that don't test as well. We don't encourage certain kids to drop out, or at least not on the scale that was acceptable in the past. There are 2nd, 3rd, 10th chances for kids to improve. Yes, it means our test scores are lower, but they're no longer an artificial sampling either.
  6. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

7. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

All those stories of people paying off other people's K-mart layaways really got to me this year.
  8. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Yay humanity! :cheer2:
  9. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I just read this in the local newspaper; not sure why it was not reported earlier. It's such a heart warming story! People jumped into the icy water as soon as they saw there were people who needed help. It made my day!