Whatever happened to Ann Patrice McDonough

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by smarts1, Apr 27, 2010.

1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Ann Patrice McDonough?

She was such a prospect, but all of a sudden disappeared from skating... Does anyone know what happened to her and what she's doing now?

2. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I thought she was coaching in NY?

3. nirti

nirti Member

Her wikipedia bio says that : "In the 2003-2004 season, McDonough placed 4th at the 2003 Cup of China. She placed 6th at the 2004 United States Figure Skating Championships.

She retired from competitive skating following that season.

Following her retirement, she has skated in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular with former pairs competitor Jonathan Hunt. She is also coaching in Westchester, New York, while working toward a biology degree."

Maybe the 6th place at US Nats demotivate her... (Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen were number one and two...) She's not the first and probably not the last US junior worlds medalist who disappear quickly in senior.

4. smarts1

But in articles I've read, she just said she wanted to move on with her life... So I was wondering if something happened to her privately or emotionally...

5. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I'm sure if she wanted us to know that information she would have released it publicly.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  6. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Supposedly her mother was the one of the all-time horrible stage mothers and wanted her to be a skater, whereas AP wound up hating it and when she was old enough to be on her own and made the decision to quit.

7. smarts1

^ Awww that sucks for her... And she was adopted too... I wonder what their relationship is like now.

8. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

IIRC, Ann Patrice had a painful foot injury during her last season, but her mother insisted that she compete anyway.

9. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I heard that too.

10. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Sad for her but she is probably proud anyway of her accomplishment, especially since she is coaching now and following studies. She may not dislike skating that much.

I often see mothers form hell pushing their kids to limits. Last I saw is a mother who gives anti pain medication to force her daughter to skate despites her back pain ! And the girl is far far from being a serious competitor, she is at the lowest competitive level and don't even rank well !
    Another one is a mother who forces her 4 yo kid to go on the ice eventhough the little girl cries and want to leave the ice ! The girl is put on ice with no choice other than staying there, she is dressed like a competitor (with no warm leggings or suit...). Finally the mother manages to make her having a little fun with the use of accessories the girl has to catch and bring back to her mother, you know like a dog...
    A pity. I definitely don't get what these mothers have in their head !

11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A 3 years old kid isn't going to suddenly discover skating all by herself if her mother or some other adults didn't introduce it to her. The "horrible stage mother" description makes it seem as if AP's mother used crack and whips to force AP to all those daily practices and competitions. I highly doubt that was what occurred at all.

12. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

I remember watching her skate in Atlanta in 2004 and thinking that she looked absolutely miserable out there. I was not terribly shocked to hear that she retired not long after that. :( I'm glad to hear that she is doing what she wants to do with her life.

13. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

She's doing fine nowadays and is very happy

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. smarts1

Yeah, I just watched a couple of her videos and I realized that she NEVER looked happy to be on the ice.

15. AnnM

AnnM New Member

Wasn't rather widely rumored back in the day that AP's mom had adopted her with the specific intent to make her into a skating star? That's what I remember hearing.

16. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Rumour? I remember reading a story that quoted her mother saying that she held baby AP in her arms and told her "You will be a skater".

I also remember reading (although possibly not in the same story) AP's mom saying how she told the coach where the jumps in the program should go, and saying it in a tone that sounded like this was a good thing. I can only imagine what AP and the coach thought about this level of parental "involvement"....

17. steve skater

steve skater Member

AP is currently a skater on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.

18. Artifice

Artifice Guest

A skater's "mother from hell" doesn't have to be on crack to be called as such. Mothers from hell (so called) are often around the rink, give advises to coaches as if these mothers knew better than the coach..., they put pressure on their kid to succeed in competitions, they give them medication to hide the pain eventhough it can lead to a serious injury...

These mothers are actually more involved in skating than their kids ! I just feel so bad for the children. I saw one again at the rink, so little and she was crying because she wanted to leave the ice, her mother took her onto the ice until cries became too much and then she left the ice. Poor girl.

19. TDsk8

TDsk8 New Member

Yep and she wants to go home already :lol:

20. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

The quote I read had her mother stated that she picked the smallest baby to adopt that she could find because tiny girls make better skaters. Of course, it was so long ago none of these articles are still available.

Just because AP is/was coaching doesn't speak to whether or not she likes/liked the sport. Most competitive skaters, especially ones who had moms like AP's, know *nothing* outside of skating. When they want to move out of the claws of their parents and make their own money in order to move out and take charge of their lives, they really have nothing to do other than coach. Good luck getting a job at 18-19 years old with zero retail experience when your friends have had part-time jobs since they started high school. Coaching earns more, it's easy for a past Nationals-level skater to get a job, and it's something they know they can do. It's a no-brainer, and anyway just because she might have hated skating herself doesn't mean she would hate coaching. Just look at Tiffany Chin.

21. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Her mother was a horror. Probably the worst skating mother ever. At some point, I believe that she was forbidden to attend competitions.

Things like that are hearsay, but nothing that woman did would surprise me.

All very good points. The sad thing is that AP was so talented, it was heartbreaking that she got no joy from her accomplishments. She is a very bright, charming, kind hearted young woman. I hope she finds something to be passionate about. Because, whatever it is, she will be brilliant.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Artifice

Artifice Guest

It makes me wonder wether skaters who succeed in skating necessarely have that kind of parent. Can a kid reach a good level without a certain amount of pressure from parents ?
    I'm reffering to your experience in your arenas since theoritically anything is possible. In reality it may actually be more one way than the other.

23. cruisin

I think that skaters with mothers who are like AP's are most likely to resent the sport and do exactly what AP did, leave when she could make her own choices. AP's mother was abusive. I've seen a few high level skaters leave the sport because of parents who just have no boundaries.

That said, there is something to a parent introducing their child to a sport, whether it is skating, soccer, hockey, football. Many kids do start a sport based on parent's interest in the sport. Ideally, parents will allow their kids to try many different sports and then let them chose based on what they like or what they are good at.

I do believe that it is important to have strong support from parents, in order to be successful in skating. First of all, it's expensive. If the parent is not willing to pay for the ice time, lessons, outfits, etc. it won't work. On the other side of that, it is expensive, so if the child is spending too much time socializing/not working - a discussion about continuing should take place. Then there is the time issue, time of day that ice is available, the hours of on/off ice training, and depending on how close the rink is - driving time. Can/will/should the parent/skater commit to that. It is also important that a parent be present as the child's advocate. Not that the parent should be coaching, but they should be there to determine when a coach/partner has crossed a line. Some parents do have some desirable skills that can be contributed to the skater's success, it behooves the skater and coaches to take advantage of that. But, the parent should also know when they are crossing a line. The most successful situations are those where the skaters, parents, and coaches respect each other, listen to each other, and are committed to the success and well being of the athlete/s.

No child should be forced to participate in a sport, and they certainly should never be mistreated, humiliated, or abused. I was at a rink once where a parent was so bad (low level, no one who made it) that someone anonymously called DYFS. Shortly after, no one saw the child at any local rinks, so... who knows, maybe the mother got a clue.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

"You will SKATE.......you WILL skate.....YOU will skate"

:lol: :lol:

25. Artifice

Artifice Guest

She was actually lucky to adopt a child who indeed had great habilities for skating !

26. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

In some ways I'm sure for her as a mom who dreamed of her daughter becoming an Olympian, I assume it was even worse for her to see AP have so much talent but not the love of the sport, rather than having no talent and knowing that nothing was really lost.

Of course I have no idea how a grown woman who was deemed sane by an adoption agency could possibly think someone could grow to love a sport that is drilled into them like the military and from which the child knew was most likely the only way to derive love from their parent, but to each their own.

27. cruisin

I don't know that anyone was lucky in that situation. The Mom, obviously, has some serious problems. And AP paid a heavy emotional price.

tangerine_dream, I hear you about the fact that the adoption agency was clueless. But some mental illnesses are very hard to pick up. The mother could have just come off like she would do anything for the child.

At this point, the only thing that matters is that AP is happy, and maybe that her mother get/got some help. It would be nice if she and her mother could find some measure of reconciliation. Just because, it would be nice for AP to have a parent in her life, but only if Mom can get well enough to behave like a real mother. I doubt that AP reads these boards, but if by chance she does: I hope she sees that many people adore(d) her.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

29. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Okay, I just went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean (Liberty of the Seas) which happens to have an ice rink and ice shows. Well, guess who I saw skating at one of the shows? AP as gorgeous as ever. In the show, she had different supporting roles and she had the lead in Carmen. The theme of the ice show was musicals. The next day, I went to skate and she was there at the sign up sheet. Only after I skated, did I get enough nerve to say the most generic thing ever which was something like "It was great to see you skate again. I remember watching you at Nationals. You had such beautiful costumes,..." She told me she had been skating with RC since February and had 2 weeks left. I felt so nerdy talking to her that I didn't feel confident enough to ask her for a picture, but OMG she is beyond beautiful!!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Valentina

Valentina New Member

:wideeyes: her mon sound just like The skater mom from helll!