What would the state of US ladies skating if Michele Kwan wasn't born??

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AndyWarhol, Apr 8, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

If Kwan had never been born, would everyone have spent so much time noticing the flutzes of Tara, Sasha, and Sarah Hughes?

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

If Christine Brennan's book, Edge of Glory, is anything to go by, Tara at least thought of Michelle as a rival, but hardly the better skater.

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

And going by results, there would have been twice as many "Whatever happened to NNN" threads as she would have won one too. Tara would have 2. And Tonia Kwiatkowski woud be the 1996 National Champion!

4. Laney

Laney Member

Yes, but OTOH theres a thread about DINOSAURS that is five pages by now. So people discuss EVERYTHING here... :rofl:

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yes, and more pages for dinosaurs than for MK. FSU is not what it used to be :drama:

6. Laney

Laney Member

Soon pics will fly and the hell freeze over. But at least there could be a new place for skating. And then people can discuss if MK would skate there or not :D So all comes back to the kween :saint:

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think there were. Of course you're going to see variation, but the buns, clean look, finished moves, lyrical movement, spiral sequences (yes I know Nicole inspired Kwan), Charlotte, etc. I definitely think Kwan's style influenced a whole generation of skaters and many found ways to keep that style but change it a bit to fit one's personality. Also, the baby ballerinas were sure finding ways to beat Kwan by being superior in skills that Kwan was weaker on...mainly spins. More flexible and faster.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The only baby ballerina who had any sucess beating Kwan was Tara Lipinski, but that sure as heck wasnt because of her spins or flexability. Sasha Cohen didnt beat Kwan for the first time until she was like 20. Naomi Nari Nam and the other baby ballerinas never did.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

I meant to put "trying" to find ways.

10. judgejudy27

Well their strategy was for the wrong era though, it sounds like the COP strategy to beat someone. I wonder how some of the ultra bendy baby ballerinas from the Kwan era would have done if they had their primes today under COP instead. Then again Zhang, Nagasu, and even Czisny were all that once upon a time and they werent able to achieve all that much even today. Cohen's prime lapped into COP years and she had her best career achievements under COP as opposed to what she ever achieved under 6.0.

11. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

If Michelle Kwan had never been born, the Space-Time Continuum would have been badly disrupted, Patrick Stewart would have ended up starring in the hit TV series Lost In Space: The Next Generation, and I would be uttering imprecations at the injustice of a universe without Michelle.

Seriously, according to the Many-Worlds theory, all possible alternative outcomes of all events and histories are realities in other, parallel universes. If Many-Worlds is true, then there are any number of universes in which Michelle was, indeed, never born; and any number of universes in which she won four OGMs, in 1998, 2002, 2006, and 2010. Plus a universe or two featuring the great Michelle Kwan-Sonja Henie rivalry.

12. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Impossible to do.

13. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. tough question! Let me think very hard ..... hmmm... I got it! There will be no Kween Michelle in ladies figure skating.:saint:

14. Skater91

Skater91 Member

I would rather know what would be the state of US Ladies if instead of Tonya taking a hit out on Nancy, It had instead been S Cohen taking a hit out on Michelle before 2002 olympics?

15. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

attaboy, Clarence. :)

16. judgejudy27

She already tried to do it in the 2002 Nationals warmup. Unfortunately for her it just made the Kween made and ready to kick butt.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

Yeah. As nice and and sweet as Michelle Kwan can come across, one doesn't make it to the top (repeatedly) in such an individualistic sport if they don't have that killer mentality and survivor skills.

18. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Yep, and I think Michelle and Sasha were always very different. Michelle's strength and determination seemed to be inner-focused (and she's said she didn't like to pay attention to how anyone else skated), while Sasha, in the earlier years, was always more outwardly aggressive and focused on everyone else, including and especially Michelle. Sasha matured a lot over the years though.

O-

19. judgejudy27

Didnt Sasha say one time Michelle Kwan should retire so she could have her chance to shine. To me that is almost a defeatist attitude, but she definitely was very Kwan obsessed for awhile.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

To be fair to Cohen, it was incredibly difficult to dethrone Kwan. Despite having a few losses to Lipinski and Hughes (twice with Hughes), Kwan was really the standard one had to meet to dethrone her. Even though Cohen had beaten her twice at Worlds (2004 and 2005) I think it was telling that John Nicks went on record to say that Cohen was the number 1 American. I think even if Kwan was vulnerable, there was still this perception that she was the best or at least one had to bring their A-game if they wanted to overcome her. That perception obviously forced Cohen to constantly think of Kwan. Maybe Sasha would have done better without the Kwan thorn on her side all those years, but then she didn't do as well as she could have internationally when Kwan didn't compete either (losing GPF to Suguri, the whole 2005-2006 season, etc.)

21. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

If Michelle Kwan doesn't compete.

Tara Lipinski rises to the top in 1996-1997, and wins every single event for 4 years. Then she has a hip injury.

Then we have the great three pronged Irina-Sasha-Sarah Rivalry.

After then, US skating goes intoa talispin as Zhang, Nagasu, and Flatt have not decided to go into skating.

Ashley Wagner (inspired by Tara Lipinski) double-foots and URs her way to 2 straight US titles going into 2010 olympics.